One More Question About Right Of Ways

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 8, 2006
Mississauga, Canada
As per another post, right of ways are footpaths for everyone to trudge upon. Are they set up and maintained by the national govt, or perhaps the county or municipal govts?
Are they on public land or, as the name implies on private land with the owners permission. Which leads me to another question(so much for 'one more question') :) in a nutshell what are the trespass laws in the UK like? Are they different from county to county?
I have sent away for several brochures on these footpaths and walks for the South Downs and the rest of Sussex, and I want to be clear in case I inadvertantly stray 'off path'. And I guess just pulling up next to the footpath and pitching camp is not the correct way.
Anyways, off to pour over my maps!
Cheers
Alex

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hunter Gatherer said:
Are they set up and maintained by the national govt, or perhaps the county or municipal govts?

... in a nutshell what are the trespass laws in the UK like? Are they different from county to county?

... I want to be clear in case I inadvertantly stray 'off path'. And I guess just pulling up next to the footpath and pitching camp is not the correct way.
Anyways, off to pour over my maps!
Cheers
Alex

Hi Alex,
The footpaths are likely to be maintained by the landowner (farmer) though some are better than others at doing it.
I wouldn't worry too much over trespass laws, if you can show that you're trying to stay on the path, but strayed by accident - no-one is going to haul you into court for it. Most folk are pretty freindly.
Camping is not normally accepted beside the footpath but if you do stumble across a friendly farmer/landowner - you can always ask ;)

If you do find people being obnoxious, come to Wales :cool: we're much more friendly.

ATB

Ogri the trog

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
For the most part, don't worry much unless you happen to be one of the evil, kitten killing, murdering tearaways that happen to enjoy riding an offroad/trail motorcycle/Landrover on the byways and formally Roads Used as a Public Path (RUPPS), in which case the Bobble hatters have whinged and campaigned our rights of way away.
If you are one of these kitten killers then simply riding on one of these formally RUPPS (and never marked on the maps in an upto date fashoin) can result in you having your expensive motorcycle/Landrover being confiscated.

<Cue feeling of murderous resentment>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE