One cup wash and shave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
When I attended my campcraft course a few yrs back one of the instructors gave a quote from a book about second world war soldiers fighting in the desert using only one mug of water to do everything from a shave to full body wash
Try as I might I cant find a reference in my notes to the book title.
So does anyone have either the book name or a break down of the order (preferably without being smutty)
Thanks

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ha ha, shave first! You don't want the scutty dregs round your mug at the end. If you use a cut throat like a Turkish barber you don't get any lather or whiskers in the water. That's my approach to it. Never had a wash and shave out of one billy but I have shaved out of a billy many times in my shave den. No idea to links though mate. You might just have to start practicing. No photos though please!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Be a real man - grow a full set and save water!
Wash when it rains (not a prob in Wales) and have a shower in thunder storms (worked a treat in Ghana).
In deserts have a scrub with clean dry sand (learned from a Muslim friend), in snow use fistfuls of the most crystaline snow you can find ... save good water for drinking!
If you must have water - use a desalination still by the sea, gather dew from long grass by tying absorbent cloths (T-shirt or towel) to your ankles and walking through the grass for a while, in swamps use an Indian Well, collect rain on polybags/tarps set up as basins by propping the sides on rocks/logs.
If all else fails recycle urine through a desalination still! (if you are that desperate for water I think washing and shaving would be your last concern....)

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Doesn't it break down into using 4 corners of a towel and the water?

1. 1 wet corner and do your face (ensuring the towel is soaked so you can use it to wipe off shaving cream while you shave
1a wash your face
1b shave
1c wipe your face

2. using another corner, wet, wipe your armpits (under the bosoms, then pits for those that have bosoms)

3. using a third corner, do you front lower parts (under/in the skin first and then the outer areas)

4. using the final corner, do your backside (ensuring to wash front to back and not vice versa)

5. use the remaining centre for any missed areas

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Be a real man - grow a full set and save water!
Wash when it rains (not a prob in Wales) and have a shower in thunder storms (worked a treat in Ghana).
In deserts have a scrub with clean dry sand (learned from a Muslim friend), in snow use fistfuls of the most crystaline snow you can find ... save good water for drinking!
If you must have water - use a desalination still by the sea, gather dew from long grass by tying absorbent cloths (T-shirt or towel) to your ankles and walking through the grass for a while, in swamps use an Indian Well, collect rain on polybags/tarps set up as basins by propping the sides on rocks/logs.
If all else fails recycle urine through a desalination still! (if you are that desperate for water I think washing and shaving would be your last concern....)

Or just splash out and use a cup of water. Small price to pay to stay clean and fresh.

John. I've had a full beard.
I'll stick with the goatee now thanks.

A cups worth of water for not being minging is a small price to pay I think.

Thanks for the one towel suggestion/method thats a handy way of doing it.

Chad that turkish shave looks pretty cool. Not sure what the string and arm pulling is about though?

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
John. I've had a full beard.
Chad that turkish shave looks pretty cool. Not sure what the string and arm pulling is about though?

That's "threading" two or more strands of thread are twisted by being spun, the twist is relaxed/moved down the pair,
The open thread is then placed on the skin/hairs, then the treads are spread, pulling them taught to re-introduce & tighten the twist and move it further along the length,
this catches & removes the hairs in the process, the thread is plucked away smartly taking any remaining entangles hairs with it.

Definitely easier if your pores are open after a good steaming first!!!

EDIT>

And far easier to see in a video than writing, just head to you tube & look for "threading hair removal" it's much clearer that what I've written above.

Last edited:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
When I attended my campcraft course a few yrs back one of the instructors gave a quote from a book about second world war soldiers fighting in the desert using only one mug of water to do everything from a shave to full body wash
Try as I might I cant find a reference in my notes to the book title.
So does anyone have either the book name or a break down of the order (preferably without being smutty)
Thanks
Do a google search for "Together We Stand: North Africa 1942-1943" then click on the More link and then books, use the search word 'shave'
Google books will have the relevant page (645)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That's "threading" two or more strands of thread are twisted by being spun, the twist is relaxed/moved down the pair,
The open thread is then placed on the skin/hairs, then the treads are spread, pulling them taught to re-introduce & tighten the twist and move it further along the length,
this catches & removes the hairs in the process, the thread is plucked away smartly taking any remaining entangles hairs with it.

Definitely easier if your pores are open after a good steaming first!!!

EDIT>

And far easier to see in a video than writing, just head to you tube & look for "threading hair removal" it's much clearer that what I've written above.

This is one reason that I use a leather apron when making natural cordage by the "thigh rolling" method when wearing shorts...

Biker

Hands up anyone else fancy being in that chair and getting that sort of treatment. I for one think I would enjoy that.

Al but but the finger pulling at the end that is. It's one of those things I can't stand when I see people pop their knuckles by pulling the finger joints. Just thinking about it leave me cold.

Glad you got some good results about your initial question Sam.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Slightly off topic (sorry) but in Istanbull I had a full Turkish bath and then Turkish shave in a wonderfull marble palace. Though nervious of the massive hairy Turk (like a Bond Baddy) that strolled out to mangle me on the slab after that and then the shave with hot towels and being spruced up with "Limon" aftershave... WOW best shave ever. Bit more than one cup of water though.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Sam hows it going??? :)

i once had 6 liters a day to do every thing with when in Iraq, i was living in the sand with nothing for miles apart from my poncho and the others around me, it was hard, i stank and was gagging for water the whole time to drink, shave, no chance, i needed every drop to drink, bad times...:(

as for washing, a wet cloth to wash and freshen up with, and shave with shaving oil, it takes 2 drops to shave the entire face, comes in a little bottle but lastes ages, i personally dont use it, but one of my mates does when away, he said its very good and much easier too...:) worth a try, and would only use a splash of water for the cloth and to clean your razor if the modern bic type style...:):):):):)

let us know how you get on mate...

regards

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE