One boot to rule them all: Lundhags which one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Thatnks for this advice Big Swede. Due to tighter finances I don't think I could stretch to the High Pros anyway. I am thinking Scout, a size larger than I am and with the addition of felt inner soles or a bootee and/or a pair of thick angorra socks would do the trick for pretty cold weather? How far do you think you could push this boot (with the right insole and socks) in terms of climate/temp do you think? Could I, for instance feel comfortable in mid-winter in northern Sweden/Norway/Finland?

Your thoughts and experience of such boots and climate would be invaluable.

If they are big enough to fit two pairs of woolen socks, it would be no problem in midwinter scandinavia. But as I've mentioned, skis and skiing boots are my preferred way to travel in those circumstances.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
They all look a bit OTT to me, but i supose if your off to the artic or something.

how much do them things weigh?

They weigh significantly less than the boots most folk wear in the U.K. for stomping around the hills. As for looking OTT, that's a personal opinion. I think they look pretty simple, as footwear goes, but, whatever the look, the performance is superb. I've worn them in summer and winter Highlands, hills and lowlands and have NEVER been too hot, too cold or uncomfortable in the slightest. They are superb. I also have a pair of Altberg jungle boots (for those dry summers we have :rolleyes: ) and, when having to make the choice, find myself reaching for the Lundhags every time. Stupid thing is, I can't remember which model I've got :eek: ...

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
Curious I'm in the market for new boots. I'm off to Sweden for a week so I was looking at the Scouts too. Just curious you got them yet what do you think?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i have 2 pairs of lundhags which are just ok,they get left in the hut. i would go for the altbergs which i cannot praise enough,field and fell are a good choice. i also use a pair of haix climber for work and these are good also.the lundhags i have are unlined scout i believe and both pairs cut into my ankle enough to make them bleed,saying that the newer ones look a bit better but i would be wary until i tried them

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
highmoorboot-b.jpg

http://www.prenticebell.co.uk/country_p_highmoor.html
After all the recommendations for Altbergs what do you think of these.I need something for a winter week in Sweden but I also want them for the winter Uk which means moors and woods.
highcountryboot-b.jpg

Two good pairs of boots. The bad news a 13 hour round trip to try them on?
http://www.prenticebell.co.uk/country_p_highcountry.html

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Littlebiglane,
I have used Lundhag Winter Trekkers for a few years now , they are no longer available, but the equivilent I guess would be the scout model. They are a basic boot, no frills, that are designed to be used as part of a layer system. Inside I use three pairs of socks (a meraklon liner, an issue arctic sock, a heavy wool outer sock) , a mesh insole and a sorbothane heel pad.
My feet have always stayed dry and comfortable with this combination. I use mine as a winter boot for wet places - Dartmoor, the Beacons, Knoydart, etc and general bushcraft stuff in the woods.
They are very good if the going is "soft", but can be hard on the feet if you are walking on "hard-packed" surfaces (roads).
I hope this helps

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Here Lundhags is also very popular, many people use it in the course. Lundhags husky is the choice of most for winter ski trips, with filt inner shoe. While the lundhags scout is most popular for the rest of the year for hiking. Lars Falt said here that he is in favour of the scout model, as it is fastest to dry and is the simplest model. The height of the shaft is good in bogs and swampy terrain. The professional gives more support as said before but also dries slower then the scout because of the padding (still dries faster then many other boots). Keeping your things dry is a main concern on longer trips where you sleep in bivouacs, tents, etc.

That said, I don't have lundhags boots myself. I survive with some all leather cheap swedish military boots from the sixties. But these are quite good as well, better then some ecco goretex boots I had before. I think I will never want boots with padding and lining anymore, they are to difficult to keep dry. Perhaps I will buy the Scout boots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE