Once upon a time, in the middle of nowhere... (Pic heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
@mr_magicfingers Thank you! :D

I live 12-15 minutes from the nearest village, with supply stores, and 50 minutes to one hour from the nearest towns.
I live at at point where I can reach four towns within one hour.
I have to drive a lot to different towns for work, so I don't have to live close to a town anyway :)

I actually have two Instagram accounts. One for the stable and one for more creative stuff, but I don't have a pure homestead or bushcraft account. So I don't know it is interesting at all for you? :p

How many "I´s" is it possible to fit in a post?! :eek:

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would cook quail like pheasant or ptarmigan, not like venison.

I had a friend that used to have quail. I remember they eat more than chicken per kilo meat, but as the meat is much tastier he thought it was worth it.
He kept them as egglayers, sold the eggs, then when the egglaying went down ( bird aged) he ate them.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......@santaman2000 Is there any meat at all on those tiny bodies?

More meat than on doves; at least for the species of quail I've hunted here (Bobwhite quail in the southeaster US and Gambel's quail in the Nevada desert) I'd never even heard of anybody using them for anything other than meat until I got stationed overseas, but now pickled quail eggs are getting more common here.

You're very welcome !

And yes , there's plenty of meat (high protein, low fat ) on those...
I think you cook it like you would cook venison....


I would cook quail like pheasant or ptarmigan, not like venison.....

Usually cooked like chicken (fried, BBQed, baked, etc.) except that you leave the quail whole rather than disjointing it. About half the meat on quail is the breast meat (white meat) and the rest is dark meat. When planning how much to cook for your family or party, consider one whole quail as the equivalent a piece of chicken (1 quail = 1 chicken leg or 1 chicken breast, etc.)

Fried:
a62905bdd7ac634aecba59893c09955f.jpg

Sauteed:
quailfordinner001.jpg

Wrapped in bacon:
a435b62d2eb7ac4d5320bc194577d5e8.jpg

Stuffed with jalapeno, wrapped in bacon, and on the BBQ grill over hickory or mesquite:
Bacon-Wrapped-Jalapeno-Quail-4.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would cook quail like pheasant or ptarmigan, not like venison.

I had a friend that used to have quail. I remember they eat more than chicken per kilo meat, but as the meat is much tastier he thought it was worth it.
He kept them as egglayers, sold the eggs, then when the egglaying went down ( bird aged) he ate them.

If you want them for both meat and eggs, eat before they get old and tough. Keep your egg layers and your meat birds separate. They aren't separate breeds like chickens would be, but it's easier to keep track of your records that way (age of meat birds, and egg production of the others)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Personally, I prefer a bit older chicken than the commercial broiler chicken. You might call them boilers or similar. Need a good slow cooking, minimum one hour.
I am not fond of fried chicken or quick receipes.

My friend also had chicken. Should say his wife had. They got for free old egg layers, and could get a decent egg production for another year or so, after that his dog got them.

They also bought broiler chickens, tiny ones, and let them grow for almost a year. They grew huge!
Did lay eggs too.

My friend was one of the Back to Nature / Hippy guys, except drug free.
Organic and free range farm before those expressions existed.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Personally, I prefer a bit older chicken than the commercial broiler chicken. You might call them boilers or similar. Need a good slow cooking, minimum one hour.
I am not fond of fried chicken or quick receipes.

My friend also had chicken. Should say his wife had. They got for free old egg layers, and could get a decent egg production for another year or so, after that his dog got them.

They also bought broiler chickens, tiny ones, and let them grow for almost a year. They grew huge!
Did lay eggs too.

My friend was one of the Back to Nature / Hippy guys, except drug free.
Organic and free range farm before those expressions existed.

What they're called here varies a little with region (and even family to family) The smaller ones which are most common (3 to 4 pounds) are called "broilers" in the north and "fryers" in the south. Bigger one (6 to 13 pounds) are usually hens or capons and are called "roasting hens" or just "hens" or "capons" but even they are bred and raised specifically for meat rather than eggs. Chickens are different though as "meat" chickens are actually different breeds from "laying" chickens. Although both are edible, because of centuries of selective breeding the "layers" produce more eggs and the "meat" chickens are bigger and plumper. That might be one of the reasons some people such as you prefer the laying chickens? (leaner than the meat chickens)

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Wow! Santaman2000, that looks delicious! Thank you for the advice :D

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Remember, the eggs are tiny, so you need a large flock to produce enough eggs for your household.
(Depends on if you bake, have a family, and so on)
Yes, they are super tiny! Not really omelette material, haha!
Luckily I keep chickens as well. It is easier when baking :)
But I will hatch more quails during this summer, to get a bigger flock.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
If the birds are small, then I'm not a stranger to do it with my hands, but bigger chickens I always take with an axe :)

mr_magicfingers

May 15, 2012
London
@mr_magicfingers Thank you! :D

I live 12-15 minutes from the nearest village, with supply stores, and 50 minutes to one hour from the nearest towns.
I live at at point where I can reach four towns within one hour.
I have to drive a lot to different towns for work, so I don't have to live close to a town anyway :)

I actually have two Instagram accounts. One for the stable and one for more creative stuff, but I don't have a pure homestead or bushcraft account. So I don't know it is interesting at all for you? :p

How many "I´s" is it possible to fit in a post?! :eek:

I'd love to follow the creative one, that sounds interesting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE