Old Hatchets to restore and handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've only ever done a couple of these myself and they took me what felt like ages. Fair play for having 8 in one pic! Good stuff Paul.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I've only ever done a couple of these myself and they took me what felt like ages. Fair play for having 8 in one pic! Good stuff Paul.
Thanks mate, It's been a bit of a challenge but I'm glad I took it on.

Very interesting stuff - feels like a bandsaw and belt sander would help me the first time!
If your doing just the one this way's quite quick and easy for a handy chap such as yourself, but I grant you if I had a few more power tools I'd be tempted on another batch:)

That must have taken ages! You'll disagree with me but you have to much spare time;) Just kidding

Each helve takes the same time as making an eating spoon so not that long really, I have no spare time fella, but I just cracked on when I could. Even Jack Frost couldn't get me working out last night after all the house jobs were done late on, as it warms you up a tad ;)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
great stuff, good pics, hopefully will inspire others. If you have the time they benefit from three of four weeks indoors with the last week being over a radiator or fireplace to get them really dry before fitting. If you are drying them fast a bit of oil or wax on the ends reduces chance of splitting. If you are pushed for time you can fit them sooner but you may end up having to bang another wedge in later on to take up any movement. Alternatively you can not cut the wedge off flush so you can tap it in a bit further if need be.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice work addo, as Robin has said protect the ends with some wax to stop the wood splitting.
Looking forward to a group finished photo.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
great stuff, good pics, hopefully will inspire others. If you have the time they benefit from three of four weeks indoors with the last week being over a radiator or fireplace to get them really dry before fitting. If you are drying them fast a bit of oil or wax on the ends reduces chance of splitting. If you are pushed for time you can fit them sooner but you may end up having to bang another wedge in later on to take up any movement. Alternatively you can not cut the wedge off flush so you can tap it in a bit further if need be.

Thanks Robin, sound advice as ever. I should really take the longer option and get on with other work while they dry, but I might carefully encourage one of them along for a play though :)

Nice work addo, as Robin has said protect the ends with some wax to stop the wood splitting.
Looking forward to a group finished photo.

Cheers Hugo, I look forward to it myself. I can stand down then. Mind, the Masks will keep me busy.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
All the heads ready to rock

100_4386_zps107e6fc9.jpg

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Nice work !!!
On a couple that I have made I made the mistake of getting the diameter of the handle nice and comphy to have them be a bit small after they shrunk from drying so now I leave everything oversize and do the final fit after dry .

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers dancan. Still waiting for mine to dry out. I've moved them near the wood burner now for a gentle warm through overnight as it dies down.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Tidy!

That big Kent pattern looks a bruiser - how heavy?

2 1/4 lb/or just over a kg. Thought I'd would be fun to have a bigger one for wasting away the chair leg blanks. If its overkill I'll put a longer handle on it for general use. I couldn't resist as it was in good nick, stamped as Brades and cheaper than Chips :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Cooeee, tremendous stuff- it's lovely to see old tools come back to being loved and used again :) I finally get why your hands were giving you grief the other day reading this.... I'm sure I'll never do more than one at once, but without this handy thread, I probably wouldn't make it to 'one' ;)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cooeee, tremendous stuff- it's lovely to see old tools come back to being loved and used again :) I finally get why your hands were giving you grief the other day reading this.... I'm sure I'll never do more than one at once, but without this handy thread, I probably wouldn't make it to 'one' ;)

Hi Sally, cheers. Its good to be working with the hands again, driving a landy all day just gives them a light buffing :)

Nice - I would have been tempted by a 60cm helve on that one

You could be right. I'm hopefully dropping some mature trees on the side of an earth dam on Friday, so I might have a couple of longer sections to play with. Mind, I think the Stihl will be out to play for that one.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
How to restore old hatchets. Part 3 - Fitting the handles

First off prepare some wedges. I’ve used Oak and split out some sections from a larger piece that’s been sitting around for a while so it’s nice and dry. Put them in a low oven at home if you want to make sure. The pictures give you a guide to the shape and size of the wedge, each is slightly different depending on the shape of the heads eye.

100_4390_zps1f3434e0.jpg

I split the Oak down using the growth rings running the length of them and shaped the end so as to not be too weak, basically add a v shape secondary bevel. Don’t be fooled by the other short numerous markings in the oak, they are the Medullary rays which run at 90 degrees to the growth rings and when in the round stem, add Oak it’s strength.

100_4404_zpsa31f7ada.jpg

Start to look at the head on the (now dried) helve and check everything is the right way round then pop it on the top and draw out the eye shape onto the top of the wood. Start shaping with axe and knife until you can start to offer up the head. Tap it down a few times then take off to see the areas that need to be further removed. Scraped areas and dark marks show you where.

100_4389_zps663cea91.jpg

100_4391_zps2e40bc66.jpg

100_4392_zps54593467.jpg

Once the head is on or before if you like, split the wood the length of and centrally along the carved out section with your knife, using a baton. Then fit the Oak wedge also with the baton, hitting it down until well in. You can put a spot of wood glue on to make sure of a good fit if you like.
Then saw off to length.The wedge due to its length can then be used a second or third time for other heads, after a reshape with the Axe.

100_4395_zps502b3d95.jpg

100_4397_zps530fdb81.jpg

All done,with a slight bend in the handle and head for right hand use, but you could make it centrally located for general splitting and chopping work or to the left. The choice is yours.

100_4401_zps8abf4dfe.jpg

100_4400_zpsc2dbe718.jpg

100_4403_zpsaa84ac97.jpg

Finish with a drink of Raw Linseed Oil (or other suitable oil) around the head overnight and a wipe over the rest of the helve, then allow curing for a couple of days. A quick wipe over with an oiled cloth now and then and you should have a nice old tool perform well for many more years,and saved some money too.

Oh...and the others too :)

100_4414_zps65e515a8.jpg

100_4415_zpsdc5e3420.jpg

Havefun and I hope these posts were of interest or use to folks.

Addo :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely work - I'd be reaching for the sandpaper at this point :) Thats because I mostly use "two handed" axes and need to slide my guiding hand. I can see the logic in a "grippier" finish for carving / one handed work.

Looks great I think the first think they get used to teach ....is how to make a replacement helve!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE