Oak logs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
We have just come back from summer camp. When we arrived on site there was an over extended Oak limb that had fallen off. We (well, the Scouts!) cut it up to clear come space. The site crew said it was fine to burn it or use it as we saw fit.

Some of it was burned (eventually). We cut and brought home three logs.

Log 1 180mm diameter 1300mm long

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

Log 2 150mm diameter 1050mm long

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

Log 3 200mm diameter 700mm long

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

They are fairly green still.

What I would like to do is sell them to make some money for some Troop kit.
Where am I best putting them up for sale? Am I best off leaving them the current lengths?
Should I split them and leave a few years and sell them seasoned?

Thanks for your help.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Not sure how much you could get for some logs?

My brother is does wood turning as a hobby, and I know that the kind of wood you have to use to make anything half decent has to be dried. Often over a year or so slowly dried out, or sometimes kiln dried. So don't know how much use it would be for carpenters and the like. But then I know sod all about woodwork.

I was in cotswold outdoor in Brecon the other day and they had some awesome clothes pegs on the wall in the changing room.

Basically, it was a slither of the outside of a log, with three holes drilled, and three lengths (about 4 inches long), stuck into the holes, to make a very rustic, and cool, outdoor looking clothes pegs. I'm tempted to make one myself, looks very easy. There's probably loads of stuff like that you could make out of your logs, and then sell them for a bit on ebay or something.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you're going to sell it as firewood then I'd reccomend cutting it to suitable length. On the other hand if your intended customer is someone looking for oak for a project, then I would only cut it upon their request; otherwise you run the risk of cutting it shorter than their requirements.

Rule of thumb: you can always cut it, but you cain't uncut it.

Whether or not there is actually a demand at all, well I really don't know.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
if you want to dry it then wax or glue the ends and leave it in a decent dry place for a year or so. Might make some nice material for a carver though, enormous wood sprite would look lovely in the garden :)

siphoxolo

Aug 5, 2012
surrey
HI Im new here:) :cool:

Its takes about a year per inch for oak to dry out completely. We cut the oak into workable lengths and then stack them in the dry place with spaces in between the planks/sleepers so that air can flow all around the wood.

hope this helps

Regards

Sip

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE