Not quite what you'd expect.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Had a meeting today with the Woodland Trust's Area Manager for Merseyside and Cheshire about a tree allotment scheme (i think i mentioned the scheme a few weeks back) and using the local woodlands for scouting and if they (or their network of conservation groups) would be able to help us...overal the outcome was great and we got a great deal of support and steps to look forward to....

....The best part? I have permission to rock-up and camp at any site [owned by Woodland Trust] within the Merseyside/Cheshire area and wild camp whenever i like :cool: If the police were to be contacted by joe public reporting either wild camping or a guy walking round with various sharps the area manager would be the guy that gets called and he said he'd just deal with any complaints and dismiss them as quick.

:D

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
That is good news. I have been scouting around various local woods many of which seem to have a 'friends of..' set up. I have been considering an approach to see how any sort of bushcraft activity would be viewed. Is there any particular tack you took which got you this result?

Cheers

Steve

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I had it [hammocking in the woods] on my agenda before i went to meet the guy and was just blunt about raising it, the "oh and one more thing...." approach and the reply was he had no issue with it providing the site was left as it was when i got there (ala Leave No Trace), he doesn't care if people camp in the woods if no mess is left, it's when they leave beer cans, burnt out tents and crap everywhere.

If people would like, i can try and find out the area managers for their counties so they can approach area managers directly? [if you offer to give something back - in my case it was using the scouts to help then with site upkeep] then they're more likely to be favorable to any requests.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great result. The official Woodland trust policy is no camping allowed, but in my experience the site managers want to see their sites being used and enjoyed, so are open to being approached. The proviso I have on my site is 'try not to be seen' as well as leave no trace, as they don't want to encourage irresponsible camping.

Given I am the site warden for a WT reserve, and the biodiversity volunteer, I have unlimited camping permission on the basis of 'doing nocturnal surveys', and the only person who would throw me out is the warden, who is, err, me! :)

My manager would back me if a complaint came his way too. I volunteered to be a voluntary warden as I was there so often, which then gives me some responsibility for looking after the site, which certainly gives something back to the landowner, and I get half price Woodland Trust membership too as a volunteer.

A phone call to the Woodland Trust (details on their website) asking for the site manager was all it took for me to be in contact. I think if you are prepared to give something back as Lister says, the organisation seems very approachable.

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
I had it [hammocking in the woods] on my agenda before i went to meet the guy and was just blunt about raising it, the "oh and one more thing...." approach and the reply was he had no issue with it providing the site was left as it was when i got there (ala Leave No Trace), he doesn't care if people camp in the woods if no mess is left, it's when they leave beer cans, burnt out tents and crap everywhere.

If people would like, i can try and find out the area managers for their counties so they can approach area managers directly? [if you offer to give something back - in my case it was using the scouts to help then with site upkeep] then they're more likely to be favorable to any requests.

Id be interested ina contact in East Berkshire/ South Bucks areas, I like the idea of giving something back for the privelage and would actually relish the idea of helping keep a site in good order for all.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Cheers

Steve

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Hello Steve I would also be interested if you find a permission. I also live in Buckinghamshire near high Wycombe. I get out and about with two other lads and have a good laugh if your interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
Hi Tom

im not far from you so It would be good to say hi.

Why not PM me, Ill do the same next time a day out is planned and we can see if we can get together.

Cheers

Steve

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Id be interested ina contact in East Berkshire/ South Bucks areas, I like the idea of giving something back for the privelage and would actually relish the idea of helping keep a site in good order for all.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Cheers

Steve

I'll do some enquiring and see what i can find for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE