Not Being Ignorant...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Guys , just to save private messaging and phoning everybody really. This is not a sympathy vote , but the reason i have not been active recently is because i feel like a rat catchers dog !

I have contracted Lyme Disease, and i can tell you it ain't very nice , as you know i spend a lot of time camping out on Dartmoor, and suppose really have been lucky up to now , but was aware i had been bitten several times during my last trip out and when i got home felt lousy , noticed three bullseyes and felt that awful , went to the docs (first time in 13 years !)

Anyway month of antibiotics (Doxycycline) loads of tests and stuff in a few weeks etc etc .

But it certainly makes you feel crap , flu like and aching joints tired and lethargic , those that know me know i can't sit still for five minutes , but it has slowed me up a bit .

Cheers Ivan...

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
grim to hear that Ivan i feel for you. always hear about lymes on the increase but rarely come across it (well i havent anyway). hope you recover soon and in the meantime find another outlet to keep you busy. wish you a speedy recovery

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
Sorry to hear that big man. If you need someone to mop your fevered brow give me a call and will pop along with Hatty Jaques lol
get well soon matey meding you x x

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Hi Guys , just to save private messaging and phoning everybody really. This is not a sympathy vote , but the reason i have not been active recently is because i feel like a rat catchers dog !

I have contracted Lyme Disease, and i can tell you it ain't very nice , as you know i spend a lot of time camping out on Dartmoor, and suppose really have been lucky up to now , but was aware i had been bitten several times during my last trip out and when i got home felt lousy , noticed three bullseyes and felt that awful , went to the docs (first time in 13 years !)

Anyway month of antibiotics (Doxycycline) loads of tests and stuff in a few weeks etc etc .

But it certainly makes you feel crap , flu like and aching joints tired and lethargic , those that know me know i can't sit still for five minutes , but it has slowed me up a bit .

Cheers Ivan...

Thats terrible. Ive been there myself. Didnt get bullseyes and my doc in berkshire hadent even heard of lymes ***. Once i had the aching knees and hips i got my self in to doc. I had ben bitten on the hip and in my ignorance i dug the tick out and off with my nails. I was pretty il for a 2-3 weeks after the bite as you desscribe and then after the doxy i was back to normal after about six weeks. Hang in there.

John

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Sorry to hear that, I've had it as well. My doctor wasn't bothered until he spoke to another doctor then rang me to come back for treatment. I was pretty angry by then. You'll be grand soon enough, stay out of the sun while on those pills!

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I hope you get better soon.

Can I ask you how long it was between the removal of the tics and when you went to the docs?
Only reason I ask is because I too have Lymes, but am feeling relatively OK! About 11 days after I incorrectly removed the tic, I got very feint and very sleepy. I went to the docs the day after and now have Doxycycline to take aswell as eating lots of Oranges and no stimulants. Maybe I'm lucky catching it so early....seems that way, my sympathy - speedy recovery!

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
I'm not as active here as I am elsewhere, so I'm catching up on general goings on.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent woes Ivan, when we had a chuckle around a camp fire at the RV, you struck me as cracking fella, so I'm not just writing this for the sake of writing 'something'.

Lyme's is pretty grim. I've not had the 'pleasure' myself but a mate of mine was bitten and he was a rather unhappy bunny for a little while. But with plenty of meds, rest, fluids and a little bell (which I gave him) to summon his wife to tend to his needs (she never liked me much anyway) he got through it and was out enjoying the wilds again soon enough... albeit dipped head to toe in insect repellent.

You hang in there fella :)

I've also just read about you having to give up your Falcome permission, which is rather tragic. I never quite managed to make it along myself, but people I have a lot of time for have nothing but good things to say about the times they had there (and no, they didn't offer to pay me to say that) and I am now rather gutted I didn't pull a sickie from work and join in the adventures there myself. Shame.

But there will always be other meets at other permissions and plenty more bad jokes to chuckle at around the camp fire.

Remember, they say bad luck comes in three's, so if anyone asks you if you know anything about fixing gas cookers, you should answer in the negative, then retreat to a safe distance!

Atb.

Colin

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks very much for the comments and good wishes , i suppose i have been very lucky up to now , after all my life on the Moor , of course i had been bitten before and done loads of self removal, maybe the little blighters were not carrying the disease , or my natural defences were stronger who knows ?

In answer to a couple of queries .

After my most recent trip out , i was aware i had been bitten and had 5 bites i know for sure, thigh, both , foot and stomach, let the tiny ones fill a bit as usual for easier removal , and did my usual touch their bum with a cigarette to make them release and pull them off ( i know its not recommended, and am feeling lousy enough , without a bollocking , it's just always the way i hadalways done it !)
Around 28th May , next day noticed the first bullseye , very clear , but if it had been somewhere less obvious , might not have spotted it !

Started feeling , like the start of a cold ,sweaty, weak ,shivery headache (i don't get those !) and generally unwell, spotted another bullseye , phoned the doc (first time in 13 years !) , explained symptoms etc , was in the surgery within 20 mins ! Fair do's he was brill, examined me all over , another perfect bullseye on my thigh ( which can disappear very quickly )

The ensuing aching of knees and hip joints , palpitations , sweats feeling weak (being quiet, unheard of ! ) And feeling bloody awful generally , confirmed our initial thoughts (and i can tell you ,it's horrible)

Treatment. 28 days of Doxycycline (antibiotic) loads of blood other tests and hopefully the meds kill it off , if caught within 3 or so weeks of being infected.
Outlook. Disease killed off , back to the woods soon ! It pays to be very careful and vigilant and not complacent , so fingers crossed test results will show it has gone , if not , don't want to think about that right now !

As for the three's thing , losing Farcome , Lyme Disease, and Mongoose13 ( my 12 year old daughters cat getting run over and killed on Sat , i think they qualify !!

Once again thanks chaps , the community spirit on here is amazing!

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE