NORTH WALES greenlaning / bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks for the invite Dom, but thats a bit too far for me for a day trip and this being the most expensive time of year for me....Maybe next time, I do enjoy green laning...

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
the immobiliser got fried. I was wading a 4' deep ford when I hit something and stalled. By time we got the tow rope water had got past the door seals, up to seat level. Not than bad really except the immobiliser ECU is in the passenger footwell.

It been bypast, but while its there I've splasshed out on the 120k miles service as well.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
but green laning isn't off roading.

I didn't know enough to realise the difference.:eek:

The lane that runs from my folks place to the top of the hill is a favourite route up to the top, gates have been clipped as well as some of the walls and the banks eaten into.

I know you lot aren't going to do it, but if you find yourself above Tregeiriog and getting filthy looks - it's the regular Sunday morning disco crew what done it.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I did some research around LLangollen on Saturday and found some good lanes. I just need to check with wayfinder project / county council ROW that all is pukka, then we can sort a day out.

I'm booked for most of Feb, but free for all of March (except probably Easter itself).

So, anyone up for a day's laning in March? and what dates are best for everyone?

I'm hoping to research a load around Denbigh too, with a view to doing another trip later on that will span 2 days with a camp in the middle.

As for the camp, I see a few options -

1) Campsite - easy but boring?
2) wild camp dash and scarper without asking (probably on forestry land, NO fire)?
3) find a landowner and ask permission & pay - best, but probably difficult?

what are people's thoughts?

also let me know what vehicles you have because some of the lanes are suitable for everyone, others are very tricky and require decent articulation and ground clearance, and some are lined with vegetation that will scratch nice shiney vehicles!

I'll try and plan a route / routes that will suit all who want to come.

Dom.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Dom,

I've drove with lions, monkeys and kids so vegetation doesn' t bother me :D

I'm in a Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0 so medium articulation for me but it depends on the dates :)

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
if your thinking of a saturday, 1st, 8th or 15th would be best for me, but obviously work the date to suit the drivers first, i could prob do any sat in march if the invite still holds, will be good to have a day round llan, you be looking up near the horeshoe pass dom, use to be my stomping ground many years ago :rolleyes: .....

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
I would be up for a trip if theres room. work most saturdays tho.iv got a defender and room for 1 if the dates are ok.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
any march weekend is good for me
i've got a standard 300tdi disco - don't mind veg, and my clearance is ok, but i've never done it before, so will leave it to your judgement Dom.
i have space for a few, and i'm happy to pick people up who are on-the-wayish from the Wirral to wherever we go!

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Right - I can do 8th or 15th March

Please post which is better for you and I'll go with the majority :)

I'm reckoning on a full day out this time with some chat / planning to sort a camp out full weekend version later on.

Dom.

law

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
north wales
if anyone is looking for other offroad areas to go there is a really good place near llanfair th its on common ground various grades to suit ones ability its an area called moel oban could sort out grid refs if poeple are interested.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
if anyone is looking for other offroad areas to go there is a really good place near llanfair th its on common ground various grades to suit ones ability its an area called moel oban could sort out grid refs if poeple are interested.

I know some members that have permission in a lovely wood near there so it could work out as a drive/meet.

mrstorey

Forager
A fair point. I'm sure no-one on here would deliberately set out to trash ancient roads. But it wouldn't hurt to check an OS map before you set out. Many of our most historic roads are designated as green lanes, and take a hell of a beating from 4x4s and motorbikes.

For example, a terrible amount of damage has been done to the Ridgeway, the oldest road of all, and I saw similar scenes on the Fosse Way and on sections of the Roman road coming down over Hope Cross in the Peak District. All perfectly legal, as all three roads have green lane status, but terribly, terribly sad to see all the same.

I didn't know enough to realise the difference.:eek:

The lane that runs from my folks place to the top of the hill is a favourite route up to the top, gates have been clipped as well as some of the walls and the banks eaten into.

I know you lot aren't going to do it, but if you find yourself above Tregeiriog and getting filthy looks - it's the regular Sunday morning disco crew what done it.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
A fair point. I'm sure no-one on here would deliberately set out to trash ancient roads.

Indeed. As I have said before - this is not a mud-plugging sesion, it is a green laning trip, which as far as I'm concerned means leaving the lanes in the same condition as I found them, keeping the routes in a condition to be enjoyed in perpetuity.

So..... any takers for the 8th or the 15th of March?

possible recce trips before that too for anyone who fancies that, too?

Dom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE