Norgie M2 Cool/Hot-box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I just got hold of a supergrade one (about £25) and I have used it for three days of warm weather. Its a great piece of kit, robust, insulates alot better than some commercial budget models I have used, its built like a tank and is a useful seat. Gets the thumbs up from me.

Luckily where I got it from is getting some more hand-picked supergrades in so I might have to get another since at 18 litres I could do with some extra space. Having two may be easier to pack and manage too.

Thanks for putting me onto them.

LBL

Toddy, the British Army "Norwegian" hot/cold box is well worth the money. These things are built like a battleship. They will keep frozen food frozen for 3 to 5 days and cool and fresh for at least a week. Good for keeping beer cold, or just filling with ice. They make a good camp stool too.

partner_stove_018.jpg

They are also heat proof, they can be used for keeping hot things hot for a long time. That's more useful than it sounds. They have a big spring clamp on the lid which keeps em water/air tight and are designed to also carry and dispense boiling liquids. The British Army use em to fill with soup, tea and coffee and then transport it in bulk out to the lads. The lids of the Norwegian even have a tap for this purpose.

partner_stove_020.jpg

partner_stove_021.jpg

You can pick em up for £15 to £20 in used condition. But beware, the inside of the box is cream coloured and the used ones have almost all got very heavy staining from British Army teabags and Army issue curry powder. :D

It's rare to see em for sale in unissued condition and if you do see em, they are usually quite a bit more expensive.

This is typical of the issued ones...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITISH-ARMY-...Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item5191f26822

The recess in the lid is for a ladle, which is often missing on the surplus boxes. They are also issued with 2 matching 10 litre tupperware inserts per box, which are also often missing or in poor condition.

If you're interested and plan to use it for food, then TBH I'd pony up for one like this...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BRITISH-A...Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item3a59221f47

The only caution I would give is that they are pretty heavy even empty and if stuffed with ice, drinks and frozen stuff then they become a serious lump to carry.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i did an experiment with mine and filled it with food and went camoing for 2 days in wales, i put a thermometer in it that had the readout on the outside and it stayed at around +3c for the whole 2 days with just ice blocks for cooling. cracking bit of kit........

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Anchor Supplies at Ripley (Derbyshire) and Nottingham have them in. No mail order though.

Edit: Just had a look at their website and it does mention delivery. I'd ring and check first.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
The place I got mine will be getting some in soon. Supergrade apparently. They do mail order. I'll let everyone know when these stocks arrives. But it will be one or two weeks I expect.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Anchor Supplies at Ripley (Derbyshire) and Nottingham have them in. No mail order though.

Edit: Just had a look at their website and it does mention delivery. I'd ring and check first.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for this thread LBL
Thanks too to Nolightweight. I called the Nottingham branch and have just fetched one without staining for £35 including ladle and all bits which now sits soaking in Milton after only needing a light clean.
They have a dozen in total ranging from £15 to £65 in what looks like unmarked unissued condition. Its nice to be able to examine before purchase.

When its sterilised and put back together I shall compare its performance to my large Coleman extreme which keeps ice all week but takes up to much room in my canoe! They look bomb proof, as has been stated so hope the cooling performance is similar.
Alan

Last edited:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I have had a Coleman Ultimate Extreme and it performs much better than the Norgie. But this does not make it a bad performer by any means - the Ultimate Extreme can keep things cold/frozen for 6 days! I would put the Norgie at best performance (pre-chilling box plus addition of frozen goods, minimal opening and minimal re-filling with warmer items) at c.3, maybe 4 days at a push in UK summer conditions.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
That would be about right from my scientific tests this weekend :rolleyes: I put four cheap ice blocks in an empty Norgie at room temp 21C. The blocks reduced this to 4C. Over the weekend the temp rose by 0.16C per hour average (without opening the box).
So 3 days should be reasonable with the box pre-chilled and full of stuff.
I shall try it out for real with a few days worth of supplies next weekend.
My box scrubbed up nicely too. :D

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Just bought one recently from Anchor supplies for my Outer Hebrides exped, not a great version but after a severe scrub, dishwashing and Miltoning it's looking great. I even got the old sticky tape stuff off the outside. I enquired about them new from a company called Hawkmoor (they had a sticker on the one I got) near Devon and they charge £429! And I thought I'd overpaid from Anchor! there is one on sale on ebay here ending v soon

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....117401&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_584wt_1102

Not connected to seller etc

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
That's ok, I won it... Only posting tounge in cheek about detected bids etc.. I'll see how we get on with t he cleaning etc.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
A good scrub and Milton fluid as recommended on here seems to have worked for me. I was slightly concerned that it smelt really strongly of Milton when I dried it but it seems to have gone now after an airing.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
After doing some research amongst the sea fishing community I recently got one of these:
IglooMaxcold70qtCooler.jpg

Looking a bit dated now, but cost over £200 a few years back. Going for less than £90 now.

It can keep ice frozen for 5 days and nights in 90 degree heat. So even longer in typical british summer weather.
Perfect for keeping sea bass fresh for a few days, or taking 'fresh' on your canoe trips..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE