Night Vision Scope ''Gen2'' For Sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I understand your point Martyn, but

http://www.about-shooting.com/Eye_Relief.php

So whilst it may be technically possible to move the head around and obtain a perfect image at a variety of distances, there will be a minimum safe distance between the eyepiece and the eye. In shooting circles this is likely to be understood as eye relief - even if this is perhaps not a technically correct expression. Contextual validity and all that.

It may be possible to have near zero eye relief - but it would be extremely unsafe on some rifles.

Red

With respect Red, eye relief, as you quite rightly said, is a principle of physics - a feature of an optical device. NV scopes are only optical at one end and it's not the end you look through. Eye relief is a feature of optical binoculars and regular optical scopes, but I strongly suspect the reason the OP could not find any info on eye relief measurements for this scope, is because it doesnt have any.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
So then the eye relief in this case would relate to the rifle its used on and not the scope itself?

No, there isnt any eye relief. You can hold the scope as far away as you like, the only issue will be the further away it is, the smaller the image on the screen (...and the length of the rubber boot). You want to be as close to the eyepiece as is safe obviously, but you are not restricted by the optical principle of eye relief. At least that's how I understand it. :)

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Im only going on what I was taught through shooting, and how to set the sights, nothing to technical this end matey,

Sorry, what I meant was that it's not the same as an optical sight. You are looking at a mini TV screen. It's like your TV at home, you can be as far or as close to it as you like, or sitting at an angle to it and you can still see the picture. With an optical sight, there is a narrow column of light that is focussed through your pupil. In simple terms, eye relief is a measurement of how far away your eye can be from the lens, while still keeping the column of light focussed through your pupil (you know how it can be like looking through a straw?).

eye_relief.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
With respect Red, eye relief, as you quite rightly said, is a principle of physics - a feature of an optical device. NV scopes are only optical at one end and it's not the end you look through. Eye relief is a feature of optical binoculars and regular optical scopes, but I strongly suspect the reason the OP could not find any info on eye relief measurements for this scope, is because it doesnt have any.

As you like Martyn. I was trying to explain how "eye relief" is used, possibly incorrectly, in shooting circles. IER (Intermediate Eye Relief) isn't a precise term either - but its use is understood to refer to forward mounted scopes on pistols, Scout configuration and large game guns to improve peripheral vision.

I'll leave you to your debate.

Red

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Sorry, what I meant was that it's not the same as an optical sight. You are looking at a mini TV screen. It's like your TV at home, you can be as far or as close to it as you like, or sitting at an angle to it and you can still see the picture. With an optical sight, there is a narrow column of light that is focussed through your pupil. In simple terms, eye relief is a measurement of how far away your eye can be from the lens, while still keeping the column of light focussed through your pupil (you know how it can be like looking through a straw?).

eye_relief.jpg

Yup I completley get the optic non optic thing, it just that to me, eye relief also means the pay off between (1) how close a sight needs toi be to be able to see the correct sight picture, (2)and how far it needs to be away from my eye socket so as not to hurt me when I fire, where as both 1 and 2 relate to optic sights\scopes, only 2 relates to electrical vision sights (like the one being discussed) as you quite rightly said it doesn't matter how far away it is for sight reasons(as long as you can see what its displaying) but if fitted to a rifle with recoil then it does matter how close it is when fired, both of these factors count to me when talking about eye relief relating to shooting scopes\sights,

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yup I completley get the optic non optic thing, it just that to me, eye relief also means the pay off between (1) how close a sight needs toi be to be able to see the correct sight picture, (2)and how far it needs to be away from my eye socket so as not to hurt me when I fire, where as both 1 and 2 relate to optic sights\scopes, only 2 relates to electrical vision sights (like the one being discussed) as you quite rightly said it doesn't matter how far away it is for sight reasons(as long as you can see what its displaying) but if fitted to a rifle with recoil then it does matter how close it is when fired, both of these factors count to me when talking about eye relief relating to shooting scopes\sights,

With you now. :)

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, just to let you all know,that the Scope is still for sale,as the interested party can no longer afford it,Also I have just listed it on Ebay.
cheers
###This item has been SOLD###
Cheers

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE