Nicw video about old and new kuksa making methods,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have been trying to find this video for quite a while now, some one posted it here a few years ago, but having seen it again and not able to find the thread, I thought i would post it for you all to enjoy:D

[video=youtube;ujEAJTEYw-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujEAJTEYw-0&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Fantastic thanks for posting that. I have always wanted to know how those mass produced sanded ones were made and it is less industrialised than I had imagined. Would have liked to see the tool that made the hollow.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Quality vid Southey, thanks for sharing

That guy reminded me of my woodwork teacher from middle school

No messing about with that saw was there. What's the salt and boiling process for Robin, is that to cure it?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Quality vid Southey, thanks for sharing

That guy reminded me of my woodwork teacher from middle school

No messing about with that saw was there. What's the salt and boiling process for Robin, is that to cure it?
A good question. I have often heard about folk boiling in salt water but never seen it or had a really good explanation. It is clearly a method of drying. Boiling or steaming drives out the sap. Why do this rather than air drying? I don't know, perhaps it gives different colour? perhaps it comes from a culture where they didn't have sheds to stack stuff to dry? I am always a little concerned about the serious thermal shock that occurs when you take it out of the boiling water, how do they avoid this? let it cool in the water then air dry afterwards? So still more questions but lots of answers in this film that I was pleased to see.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
heres a vid about the making of the stoy of the kuksa, HOW MANY CUPS!!!!!!!

[video=youtube;OnfjzlWtnvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnfjzlWtnvU&feature=re lated[/video]

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Thanks for sharing Southey ,i really enjoyed it i wish there were more of this type of film.

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
I have a kuksa carved by Mauri Poylio. He salt cures wile carving.

The cup is hygroscopic and takes care of itself.

I sometimes use green wood for the latching posts and handles on my tine’. I have never had it split.

The salt is absorbed into the wood cells, this makes it hygroscopic, and the wood will draw moisture.

As you boil the wood in brine it will change specific
gravity and sink.

Slow dry the wood.

Harmony

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE