Next step

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Right then, I've got a steel, I've got a flint, I've got charcloth
I can strike sparks and get a nice coal from the charcloth

What do I need for the next step, and how do I go about it

(I know theres a video showing all this, but I don't have a sound card in the pc and I'm on firefox so my access is sometimes a bit funny)

Thanks guys, I know this is a bit of a stupid question

H.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A tinder bundle. Dried grasses and bracken buffed up nice and fine. Pop the ember in the middle and close it up. Blow onto the bundle, but not too close to it or the moisture from your breath will affect its' growth. Hold the bundle downwind so that the wind is on your back or onto a shoulder. The smoke won't get blown into your face and the wind will help you out.

Obviously, once it starts smoking loads, you're very close to it bursting into flames. This is when you look around and say "Bugger, I should have got some fine sticks prepped to turn my tinder bundle into a fire!" Have fun!

:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Gotta agree there Bernie. I like ferro rods, but a piece of flint and a piece of steel is just pure magic. Plus, you need to put a bit of work in to it, not as much as one of the drill methods I hasten to add!

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
The other thing I'd like to find out about is how to light a candle or lantern using my F&S
I'm a larper and sometime re-enacter and this is the kind of stuff I like to do

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A small chunk of Cramp ball fungus,
will help to lengthen the life of your ember to assist in turning it into a flame; or indeed a few square inches of charcloth.
From what little I know, lighting a candle direct from flint is going to be nigh-on impossible - perhaps you need to look into sulphur matches and the like.

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wrap your glowing charcloth in a thin sliver of birch polypore fungus and blow it to flame - magic (and less effort than a tinder nest)!:rolleyes:

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
There are a few ... details ... to take care of correctly to get that spark into a flame.

Use enough charcloth or tinder fungus. Too many people try to get by with too little of either, and they run out of heat before their tinder material catches fire.

Use a big enough "bird's nest" of tinder. Again, don't skimp. Have enough material to wrap around your spark, and have it thick enough to capture most of the heat from your char/fungus. You need to transfer the heat from your char/fungus to your tinder bundle - to get the individual bits hot enough to flame up and burn.

Have your tinder bundle material as dry as you can get! Otherwise the material soaks up a bunch of your heat to dry out, before it can start heating up enough to flame/burn.

Don't blow on your ember/spark too much in your tinder bundle or bird's nest. Blowing too hard will burn up your spark catching material too fast. And it will blow a lot of your heat out through the back of your tinder bundle, and also cool other parts of your tinder. It's a balancing act that needs to be learned as you go.

Don't RUSH the process. If you have enough char/fungus and a large enough tinder bundle, you do have a comfortable amount of time to work with. So speed would only be required if you were in some sort of competition.

Watch someone else - in person. It really does help seeing it done a time or three in person.

You can light a candle directly with either charclothe or tinder fungus, but it is tricky - and takes practice. To do it, take a large piece of charclothe and roll it up into a tight roll. Then catch your spark on the end of it. Now press that glowing end to your candle wick and start to blow on it. You need to have your glowing charclothe heat up enough to start to melt some of the wax - and get it hot enough to then vaporize that wax. When it starts to vaporize some of the wax, it will then be hot enough to flame up. It's tricky, but can be done. It does work a little easier if you use a Tinder Tube (a metal tube with a cotton/linen cord through it - or rolled up cotton cloth to form a cord). Push some of the rope out a ways from your tinder tube, catch your spark in the pre-charred end, press that end to your candle, and start to gently blow on it. And it will also then heat up and start to melt/vaporize some of that wax until it's hot enough to flame up.

As I said, tricky but possible.

It is much easier to have those "sulfer sticks". And they are very historically correct - going back to Roman times. To make them, you carefully melt a little sulfer, and then dip the end of some slivers of wood into it. This will leave a little bit on the end. If you then touch that sulfer to your smoldering char/fungus (or even a coal from your campfire), it will then flame up kind of like a modern stick match. But they need to be touched to some sort of ember to catch fire.

Just some humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Never tried lighting a candle with a 'proper' flint and steel but there are a couple of things to note when using a ferro rod.

First use a candle which has previously been lit, you are then trying to relight the charred wick.

Tease the wick out a bit so that you have a fluffy bundle of fine fibles which are more lightly to catch the spark and provide a larger area to aim for.

Have fun.

Stu

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Wrap your glowing charcloth in a thin sliver of birch polypore fungus and blow it to flame - magic (and less effort than a tinder nest)!:rolleyes:
John is so right. This is so much more efficient than tinder bundles if you start with charcloth. I first learnt this with a cigar size roll of newspaper. It is a great party trick as it is almost smokeless and can be done indoors. There is a risk of the char cloth disappearing down the tube, but this can be preventing by roughing up the edge of the paper that becomes the inside - so it partially blocks the tube.

Then you have a lovely spill that you can light your candle with.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
SUCCESS!!!!

christmas eve I was messing about with newspaper and I got flame.....now I just have to do it again to prove it wasn't a fluke

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
if you pm me you email address i will email you a copy of instructions i was sent by someone. very simple to understand and it works.

boon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE