new to bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
Hi all i'm new to this website and fairly new to bushcraft, i'm 19 and live in kent and love being outdoors. I've been fishing for about 9 years and recently have discovered a taste for bushcraft and was wondering if anybody had any tips on finding places to practice this habit. I understand that getting permissions from landowners is a good way and wonder if you can offer any advice on going about this?

Thank you if any of you can offer any advice. Steve.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Whereabouts in Kent are you?
There's always the North Downs. That's where HRH Mears learnt his skills (admittedly on the Surrey side).
There's also the Bushcraft Magazine (http://www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk/)site to the south of Ashford.
All depends on what you want to do.
If you're looking for somewhere to go for a good walk and do a bit of outdoor cooking and carving then you're well served.
If you fancy a night out under the stars in the woods then you'll have to be a bit more...well, er...selective.
The Bushcraft Magazine site is a good place to start. Especially if you're new. They'll help you with good advice and guidance, especially if you tell them you're new. Best to learn a few fire-management skills before setting to the landscape. And you can camp out on their site (for a tenner) and enjoy a night out in a safe, remote, quiet and legal spot.

Last edited:

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
i'm in maidstone but i didn't know about the bushcraft magazine place so will definately look into that and i'm happy to learn any skills that anybody wants to teach because you never know when you'll have a situation that arises which will need to be dealt with in a particular way thank you so much for responding so far everybody on this website seems to be very helpful.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
Would it be a bad thing to admit that i've not heard of bushcraft magazine before? the only one i've found is "bushcraft and survival skills" which i have found a good resource but you're all being very helpful and it's great to find people who will happily help other learn more :)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Would it be a bad thing to admit that i've not heard of bushcraft magazine before? the only one i've found is "bushcraft and survival skills" which i have found a good resource but you're all being very helpful and it's great to find people who will happily help other learn more :)

Don't see why it would be.
It's only available by subscription so you wouldn't know about it unless you'd been 'doing' bushcraft for a while. As somone new then it's only natural you'll only find out about it when you start. I only found out about it earlier this year, and I've been doing bushcraft (well, we used to just call it 'camping out for the night') for nigh-on 20 years.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Chopper!,I can't remember what I am! (no smart answers folks!)
I was born in Folkstone,Kent.
So am I a MoK,or a KM?
Cheers.
Chris.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
yeah i'm lucky to be in kent lots of beauty (believe me i don't mean maidstone itself) and the name just stuck from a combination of things, no anarchistic connection, although who on here doesn't slightly dream of governmental breakdown and this country dissapearing into forests and everybody having to live with knowledge and skill?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE