New knife purchases from shop in person only?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
if the kid has been educated in the handling.

As has been pointed out several times, it isn't illegal for a child to carry or to use a knife as long as it is a legal knife for the situation and the situation is appropriate for knife carry/use. Supervision and education is the point. A child needs supervision to buy a knife and education on how to use it. The point of the current legislation is to ensure (or more likely to improve the chance) that an adult is involved in the whole knife buying/using process.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Now I am beginning to understand!
So a 13 year old is ok carrying a blade ( fixed, lockablefolder or friction folder) with a blade length of 4-5 inches when he goes fishing. Correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
Correct Janne. The 13 year old just cannot buy it for him/her self, which I think is sensible enough. Even though I remember buying pocket knives myself in my very young teens and I never felt the need to go and stab someone with my two inch folder.

Anyone (any age) can carry and use any* knife if the situation makes it legal to do so. Reasonable cause, like fishing or bushcrafting.

*Not including those knives on the specific list of offensive weapons, like balisongs and automatic knives of course.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
A youth can buy a knife for him/herself, providing its a non locker and the blade is less than 3 inches, these types of knives fall outside of the laws on carrying knives, which makes a mockery of the Laws, as I am sure a lot of damage can still be done with a legal EDC, and even though some kids are trained in the uses and dangers of carrying knives, one kid on his own is OK, the problems arise when there are groups and gangs of kids (and adults) an fights skirmishes break out, then all hell breaks loose, and invariably someone gets knifed, or stabbed with something sharp, we (our government) think that if you make something illegal it will stop......which of course is total nonsense , and they are not in the slightest concerned on the effects of law abiding citizens, who may carry implements for leisure or work,( I know carrying a knife for work is ok, but there ares still restrictions).

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
So.. is there any further evidence of this law thing coming in? or is it just speculation on the details atm?

Cuz as it stands it sounds like knee jerk bs conjured up by desperate politicians to please the dopey populous and stir up a media storm. And again, why are the parents of these mruderous little kids not ever in the spot light fo their crap parenting? Why is it shops are blamed for the actions of ill behaved people?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
My local Police did a 'knife amnesty'. This is the local rag report on it.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/thousands-guns-ammunition-knives-axes-13132725

Banning long distance buying will destroy livelihoods and harm our hobbies.

LOL that amnesty collection looks like the crap you'd find in an old shed clearout bucket! Hardly a mafia safe house haul is it? They really do love to hype up the 'weapons' on our streets. I've got better than that in my toy box.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I can walk into a shop with a hand full of cash and buy a knife or axe and walk back out unknown to anybody . If i buy off line then these a credit card or bank card paper trail and then a posting paper trail. All under my name and my address, The card and the address and the knife are all in my name at my address ,

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To call a knife or a gun a 'weapon' is wrong.

A weapon is something used to harm somebody, like a knife, gun, fork, bottle, glass. Tyre iron.
Am I right in assuming this, being a non English primary speaker?

Last edited by a moderator:

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
A weapon, arm, or armament is any device used with intent to inflict damage or harm to living beings, structures, or systems. Weapons are used to increase the efficacy and efficiency of activities such as crime, law enforcement, self-defense, and warfare. In a broader context, weapons may be construed to include anything used to gain a strategic, material or mental advantage over an adversary.

While just about any ordinary objects such as sticks, stones, cars, or pencils can be used as weapons, many are expressly designed for the purpose – ranging from simple implements such as clubs, swords and guns, to complicated modern intercontinental ballistic missiles, biological and cyberweapons. Something that has been re-purposed, converted, or enhanced to become a weapon of war is termed weaponized, such as a weaponized virus or weaponized lasers.

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I can walk into a shop with a hand full of cash and buy a knife or axe and walk back out unknown to anybody . If i buy off line then these a credit card or bank card paper trail and then a posting paper trail. All under my name and my address, The card and the address and the knife are all in my name at my address

But it might not be your name, address or credit card. On the internet, nobody knows your a dog.

If you go to a shop, then the staff can look to see your age, perhaps your state of mind and possibly ask for ID. Your face might even be recorded on CCTV. And most people would pay by card. In fact paying for a large hunting knife in cash would probably ring alarm bells.

I can understand people's concern, if they are law abiding and have a sensible use for a knife, etc. But not everyone is law abiding.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
The *rumour* I've heard is that it will not necessarily be a case of buying from a bricks and mortar shop, but being forced to collect the article from e.g the Post Office- at which point to produce ID. Whether that's simply to prove an over 18 age or tonne entered into a database I don't know, but in my case I'm often forced to collect from there so it wouldn't be too much of a PITA. And for those in the sticks presumably the postie needs a signature in the same way he does from me so not much changes. Given that the specific contents of those packages are unlikely to be known even when you hand over your fingerprint and retina scan, and I'm sure some 'upstanding 18+ citizens' will think nothing of handing that parcel over to their 14 year old son or daughter, all it will stop is a minor buying a knife on the internet or Tesco etc.
I'm 40, responsible and not involved in gang violence, and get on with all my neighbours, but if one day I decided to go postal over a wheelie bin or parking issue, I wouldn't seek out my razor edged Will Adams, or go into the garage for a GB SFA. I'd grab the 8 inch Sabatier or 4 pints of frozen milk on the way out

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
So.. is there any further evidence of this law thing coming in? or is it just speculation on the details atm?

First step is it goes out to consultation which is said to open this month, there will be n option for anyone to have a say....

There is ONLY rumour at the moment anything is on the table until the actual legislative proposal is drawn up and even then it can change again

Last edited:

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
But it might not be your name, address or credit card. On the internet, nobody knows your a dog.

If you go to a shop, then the staff can look to see your age, perhaps your state of mind and possibly ask for ID. Your face might even be recorded on CCTV. And most people would pay by card. In fact paying for a large hunting knife in cash would probably ring alarm bells.

I can understand people's concern, if they are law abiding and have a sensible use for a knife, etc. But not everyone is law abiding.

But look at when they made owning 'Most' types of gun's illegal back in the mid 90's after the Dunblain shooting. Since then despite them being a lot harder to get hold of, Gun crime has gone up .
We now have people using truck's and cars as weapon's to hurt,kill and inflict terror on people.
To hurt someone i need nothing more than a screwdriver . Look at prisons a razor blade fixed to the end of a tooth brush dose the job nicely .
When ever something happens the public shout out that something needs doing, Why don't the Government do something about this. people should not be allowed such items, So on and so on . The Government then feels the need to be seen to be doing something. Knee jerk reactions and all that. But it will never solve the problem. The people who wish to harm others don't care if its illegal to own,buy,sell,carry. They will still carry on doing what they wish. Its law abiding people who suffer again and again.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
The *rumour* I've heard is that it will not necessarily be a case of buying from a bricks and mortar shop, but being forced to collect the article from e.g the Post Office- at which point to produce ID. Whether that's simply to prove an over 18 age or tonne entered into a database I don't know, but in my case I'm often forced to collect from there so it wouldn't be too much of a PITA. And for those in the sticks presumably the postie needs a signature in the same way he does from me so not much changes. Given that the specific contents of those packages are unlikely to be known even when you hand over your fingerprint and retina scan, and I'm sure some 'upstanding 18+ citizens' will think nothing of handing that parcel over to their 14 year old son or daughter, all it will stop is a minor buying a knife on the internet or Tesco etc.
I'm 40, responsible and not involved in gang violence, and get on with all my neighbours, but if one day I decided to go postal over a wheelie bin or parking issue, I wouldn't seek out my razor edged Will Adams, or go into the garage for a GB SFA. I'd grab the 8 inch Sabatier or 4 pints of frozen milk on the way out
PITA for me, my PO is 40 miles away!
However in the last 2 months I've had 2 knives and an axe delivered. All recorded and Postie just signed for me :).
Rifles and knives are not weapons until the intent of use for them changes. And as others have said plenty of other things can be used as a weapon, I think I said that one page 1. If some sort of knife licensing comes in then surely it will include chefs/kitchen workers too?
BBC news reported yesrday that the weapon used the most in crime now in the U.K. is acid/chemicals.

Personally I don't see anything coming of this.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A weapon, arm, or armament is any device used with intent to inflict damage or harm to living beings, structures, or systems. Weapons are used to increase the efficacy and efficiency of activities such as crime, law enforcement, self-defense, and warfare. In a broader context, weapons may be construed to include anything used to gain a strategic, material or mental advantage over an adversary.

While just about any ordinary objects such as sticks, stones, cars, or pencils can be used as weapons, many are expressly designed for the purpose – ranging from simple implements such as clubs, swords and guns, to complicated modern intercontinental ballistic missiles, biological and cyberweapons. Something that has been re-purposed, converted, or enhanced to become a weapon of war is termed weaponized, such as a weaponized virus or weaponized lasers

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
But look at when they made owning 'Most' types of gun's illegal back in the mid 90's after the Dunblain shooting. Since then despite them being a lot harder to get hold of, Gun crime has gone up .

Has it really gone up? Firearms offences now have a much wider definition than they used to. The 2006 Act means that offences with an air pistol or possibly using a fake firearm can be classed as 'gun crime'. And a lot of the weapons recovered from criminals are not Browning HiPowers - they are instead often converted replica weapons, perhaps firing .22 ammunition, or flare pistols, etc. Looking at the statistics for 2015-16, out of 8399 recorded offences, air weapons made up 3217 and imitation firearms were another 1431. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_policy_in_the_United_Kingdom

And remember that a spike in gun crime has to be put into context - gun crime is relatively low, so what are often relatively small or localised increases can skew the figures. And it should be noted that the number of gun deaths has fallen over the last decade.

I'm not anti-gun or anti-knife, but most people have no real need of either, so when there is a rise crimes involving those weapons (and obviously they are used by many as weapons), its natural for people to ask questions about their supply. In exactly the same way, there has been a surge in crimes involving acid, and its obvious something needs to be done about the ease of purchase.

This change in the law seems no more than discussion at present, and hopefully any changes will be measured and well thought out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE