New knife purchases from shop in person only?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I just wondered how they will deal with the admin of registration for them.
Another example of a few having a big effect on the many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Drones with cameras should be banned.

Not being a drone owner, I don't have an iron in that particular fire, but the Government is proposing to license them. For me that would be another example of increasing interference of Big Governmnet.

First the Government have to reduce crime and they are not doing a very good job at the moment with the erosion of the Police force. If current trends continue we will become a country with an excessive number of laws which 50% of the people ignore 75% of the time.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
My dads generation had to carry small knives, a blade of 2 inches about, to school.
To sharpen pencils. Also carried small glass flasks of ink for the pens.
Happy Days!

Then WW2 came and changed the World to the PC place it is today!

We were still using small penknives to sharpen pencils when I was at school in the 1960s though they were not compulsory.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

With Effect From _ _ _ Importation of ALL knives into the UK will become illegal (just like drugs :lmao:)

On that date there will be a hand-in amnesty for ALL previously manufactured knives, machetes, kukhris, axes.

ALL UK knife manufacturers will be required to produce blades conforming to the following specification - capable only of slicing:

1. The main body and tang of the blade, the handle and guard are to be made of a very thin and very bendy plastic.
2. No full tang
3. The edge of the blade is to be made of a very thin and very bendy light metal i.e. aluminium.
4. The components are to be fixed together using only that white fish glue that we had in school
5. No point (lol)
6. The blade has to be a bright orange colour
7. If someone uses one to choke another person it too will be banned.
New Knife.jpg

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Like a lot of knee jerk legislation, it may well for practical reasons, end up more honoured in the breach than observed. Ebay in the UK at least forbids the sale of knives outright, but you will find plenty of billhooks, scythes, axes and other generally useful blades there, cos I guess they are tools./QUOTE]

Ebay does not ban the sale of knives in the UK, it bans the advertising of knives from sellers in the UK, I have just sold 3 knives through Ebay by advertising them on the US Site, they know I am selling from the UK, if you put KNIVES in the search box ( on Ebay's Uk site)you will see knives for sale from everywhere except the UK, but I as a seller can still sell knives from the UK, just cant put them on Ebay.co.uk.

look at this link on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XXL-Coute...415099?hash=item5d71ee833b:g:TS8AAOSwq8BZa8D8

Last edited:

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
if you put KNIVES in the search box ( on Ebay's Uk site)you will see knives for sale from everywhere except the UK, but I as a seller can still sell knives from the UK, just cant put them on Ebay.co.uk.

I have to also change the item location on the left from 'default' to 'worldwide' or 'europe' to see knives.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You guys live in a sad country when you have to master search techniques to be able to buy a blade.

Go out and fight for your Rights!

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Little bit late to the party but thought I would add my tuppence worth.
I'm all for restricting knife sales to under age but a wholesale ban isn't the way to go.
As many have said there are already laws governing this that are flaunted either to make a quick buck or because people can't be bothered.
Personally I wouldn't have a problem with having to have internet sharps sent to a post office or click and collect type pick up point but realistically I can't see these types of places taking on the added liability involved especially with a topic as emotive as knives.
That leaves bricks and mortar stores which are few and far between and let's be honest they will never be able to stock the range currently available online which further restricts our choices as responsible tool owners.

The general public see knives as a bad thing and the media spin on this just goes to further demonise the law abiding users of such tools, as MANY on here have already said the criminal element will simply procure elsewhere.

I posted a fairly lengthy video on YouTube where I ramble along trying to say most of the above with limited success but thought I'd link it for anyone interested, mods if this isn't allowed please feel free to remove.

https://youtu.be/S1D2VPP5jRc

Cheers, Hamster

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks Hamster. Understandable remarks, inasmuch as it's all so hard to comprehend from here.

No. Drone pilot licences cover far more than just aircraft hazards.
Privacy issues, industrial security hazards, there's all sorts of things.
Cameras, yes. Obviously essential for documentation.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That's a ridiculous response. Just how do you think a drone works? How are they flown?
-

The 'licensing' being brought in is only for drones large enough to pose a hazard to aircraft.
-
I do not care how they work or how they are flown.
I did care when some b-stard flew his over our garden while we were in the pool naked. And stayed there for several minutes.
Perv.
This has happened to us and our neighbours several times. Not cool!
Another time was when a british journo flew his over our house. Filmed. It was included in his twisted programme about Cayman. Less than two years ago.
+
The 'licensing' being brought in is only for drones large enough to pose a hazard to aircraft

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I do not care how they work or how they are flown.
I did care when some b-stard flew his over our garden while we were in the pool naked. And stayed there for several minutes.
Perv.
This has happened to us and our neighbours several times. Not cool!
Another time was when a british journo flew his over our house. Filmed. It was included in his twisted programme about Cayman. Less than two years ago.
Your knee-jerk "drones' shouldn't allowed to have cameras" because of some jerks is as sensible as me demanding that all guns should be banned because some asshole pointed his shotgun at my wife when he was shooting ducks.

There are idiots in this world and idiots will behave like idiots. Will we let that prevent the rest of us from having access to things? Isn't that just what we are talking about here, the daftness of a knee-jerk ban on access to knives, everyday tools, because of the actions of a relatively small minority?

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Personally I wouldn't have a problem with having to have internet sharps sent to a post office or click and collect type pick up point but realistically I can't see these types of places taking on the added liability involved especially with a topic as emotive as knives.

There wouldn't be too much liability involved. Click and collect stores often already sell knifes for DIY or kitchen use and many sell alcohol. If this gets rolled out for knives then all 18+ rated products are sure to follow to stop underage drinking, acid attacks, illegal fireworks etc etc. It's a big market that will help any physical shop get feet through the door. Just for an example if a supermarket used their click and collect service for this then their existing licensing and training would cover it and there's a good likelihood that people will get some groceries while they're in the store.

What you need to remember is that if the law starts cracking down hard on knife sales to the under 18s then the secondhand market is the most vulnerable to abuse. It would only take one prosecution and how quickly do you think you'd stop seeing knives for sale in the members' classified section? How many makers and second hand sellers on here have honestly made a thorough age check before selling a restricted item?

Although I'm optimistic this proposal will be fine I still think it will need some public feedback to steer it in the right direction. There are plenty of big companies who can put their case forward but most will probably pass additional postage costs to the buyer. Perhaps the most useful outcome of this discussion would be to word a letter and petition on behalf of the forum as a whole expressing support of the existing law but stressing any proposal needs to keep in mind the needs of the second hand and small maker market. If we could put forward a proposal for age checks by couriers at the door with a good argument behind it to contribute to the government consultation then it would at least put our case forward to people who might listen.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
There wouldn't be too much liability involved. Click and collect stores often already sell knifes for DIY or kitchen use and many sell alcohol. If this gets rolled out for knives then all 18+ rated products are sure to follow to stop underage drinking, acid attacks, illegal fireworks etc etc. It's a big market that will help any physical shop get feet through the door. Just for an example if a supermarket used their click and collect service for this then their existing licensing and training would cover it and there's a good likelihood that people will get some groceries while they're in the store.

What you need to remember is that if the law starts cracking down hard on knife sales to the under 18s then the secondhand market is the most vulnerable to abuse. It would only take one prosecution and how quickly do you think you'd stop seeing knives for sale in the members' classified section? How many makers and second hand sellers on here have honestly made a thorough age check before selling a restricted item?

Although I'm optimistic this proposal will be fine I still think it will need some public feedback to steer it in the right direction. There are plenty of big companies who can put their case forward but most will probably pass additional postage costs to the buyer. Perhaps the most useful outcome of this discussion would be to word a letter and petition on behalf of the forum as a whole expressing support of the existing law but stressing any proposal needs to keep in mind the needs of the second hand and small maker market. If we could put forward a proposal for age checks by couriers at the door with a good argument behind it to contribute to the government consultation then it would at least put our case forward to people who might listen.

I tend to agree except that the general public are less likely to have a desire to engage in consultation as to many it is a non issue and to many more anything relating to the "scourge" of knives should be immediately banned as why would anyone need a knife in the first place.

It's a shame but I think realistically the bushcraft, wood working and general knife using communities are a relatively small minority in a mass of indifference or outright misunderstanding/media induced fear.

I think a stock letter both on behalf of the forum and for individuals to send would be a great idea, especially for those like me who struggle to articulate their points.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
HH, you're right. It is . . . . . . "a relatively small minority in a mass of indifference. . . . " even here.

I've attended many artisan's exhibitions over the years. Display carvings and active work demonstrations.
Never any expression of interest in learning. Not one. One single comment, one time: "Looks tedious."

All the more reason for a written expression of concern to step in front of media frenzy. I'd sign one.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The first thing we have to acknowledge is that knives in the hands of kids and idiots are a problem the Government have to deal with, the second thing we have to face is the attitude of the public, who basically have very little interest in the activities of Anglers, campers,outdoor people and people who use knives etc in their hobbies and crafts.
One of the biggest problems the Government will face is determining exactly what a knife or dangerous weapon is, I mean its easy to ban the delivery of knives to ordinary households, but the criminal fraternity who are not stupid, will simply find other means to inflict harm onto other people, eg, Scissors, spikes, bicycle spokes etc etc, will all these items be banned for delivery, because if they aren't then the banning of knives will be a waste of time.

The Government have a history of over reacting to situations, for example the legal age to buy tobacco is 18, and alcohol 18, yet if you go into most shops, supermarkets etc, you will see a sign stating if you look under 25 you will need ID to buy these products.......why?

I as a HGV Driver have to drive speed restricted vehicles by law, the speed is restricted to 56mph, yet they have just raised the speed limit for HGV to 60 on dual carriageways...............and they wont higher the limiter speed on the engine, so technically we can.t drive at 60 (unless we are going downhill....lol).

One thing we also must remember is that our MP,s and Ministers have very little knowledge in the matters they deal with, this is why we always see turnabouts about 3 hours after their utterances, as they are normally told off by someone who knows what they are doing.

Now in my opinion what we should do is to write to our MP,s, not to tell them to fight this proposal, but to strengthen it and to ensure ANYTHING that is capable of being used to harm others is NOT ALLOWED to be sent through the post to a domestic address, and I mean Anything, razor blabes, combs with sharp thin handles, skewers, tent pegs, nails ( obviously over 3 inches...lol), nail files, kitchen knives, pens, pencils, etc, etc etc, and once Ebay, Amazon, Argos, start hammering the Government about this stupid proposal, they may drop it, after all, big business runs this country, and if its likely to hit their profits well they will no doubt sort it out.

If this does happen the we should all make sure we ourselves are more vigilant, I have bought many knives and only once have I been asked to verify my age, and I did this with a picture of myself holding my driving licence via an email, quite easy cost nothing, but that particular seller had nothing to fear as he had carried out his due diligence, and has a copy of my ID to back him up.

Having a debit card or paypal account does not prove your age, my grand-daughter age 12 has a debit card, which she no doubt could use to open a paypal account or join a forum etc, and basically this is the crux of the problem, the big firms have not carried out due diligence and have been selling knives to these scroats and we are going to pay the price for the bad business practices, so lets make sure our house is in good order and beyond reproach.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I agree, except on one point. A knife in a kids hand can be safe, if the kid has been educated in the handling. I was safe. My dad was safe. My son is safe.
You guys are safe, even if you are under 18.

I was tought how to cause GBH with a credit card. Everything can be used as a weapon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE