New homemade stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Some advice needed. Just finished my first stove (now we'll see if I can leave my multi-fuel stove at home!), I know there's been a poll on cleaning billie's but wondered what I should pack the stove in, what do you use?

I was a little impatient making my first cup of tea ;) so didn't let the flames die down and sootied the bottom of the billie can (my fault and 5 mins cleaning) but what do you do with the mess left by the fire on the inside of a former cutlery holder from Woolwoths?

Thanks,
PICT5206.JPG

My kit all goes into an old small stuff sack (once its cooled down).

I don't bother with the soot on the outside of the billy as it nests inside the hobo stove (which is also sooty). I've found that although the outside of the hobo stove discolours (due to the effect of the heat on the metal) it generally remains fairly clean. Hence the only bit that may need cleaning is the inside of the billy, especially if it's burnt on - bad times (unless all you've done is boil water for a brew - good times).

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Just enjoy using it!

brewup.jpg

I keep the insides clean but leave the outsides sooty!

sooty_billies.jpg

Here's a tip:
If you burn the pasta (don't ask :rolleyes: ) and you live in an area with chalk, take a small block and use it to scour the billie.

It is softer than a stainless pan but harder than the gunk so will just grind to fit the profile of the bottom. It is also non-toxic, tastless, not gritty on the teeth and washes out cleanly.

P.S. I like the wide feeding port. It looks a bit easier than my kit!

Cheers,
Steve

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Many would advise to give it a thorough ignoring,
a cursory wipe with a handfull of grass and pack it away into a sack (a leg off an old pair of trousers). Thick or sticky deposits can get the "Wayland Soap treatment" - fat from your food, plus ash from the fire equals soap plus fine grit as a mild abrasive!
The real trick is to come up with a system that packs progressively cleaner items inside of those that are more heavily soiled!

ATB

Ogri the trog

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nice setup, I was in Wilkinson's yesterday, they have a nice SS biscuit barrel for £4.99 that will make a fine billy can

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE