New Bushcraft Knife from BRKT

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Looks good. :D

I've got three Barkies and I'm happy with them.Good solid no frills tools and easy to keep sharp.

The Aurora looks to be a good addition to the choices for a bushcraft knife.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It looks like a clean design - nothing particularly unusual but that doesn't make it any less than a well thought out competant piece of work. I doubt I would buy one as I have some knives that look similar - could have done a lot worse though when I think of some of the stuff I did buy years ago :)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I just got a micro slither recently and was extremely impressed. I'll put up a proper review when i get around to it.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
OldJimbo said:
I'd suspect that there are more than a few who like convex grinds. I certainly do!

Count me in on that one as well!

I have been using a F1 and a Northstar almost exclusively over the past 12 month and I have to say I am becoming a convex convert.

I have to say that I can get a much better edge on the Northstar, even though I use exactly the same technique for sharpening the F1. Any of you sharpening guru's have any ideas Why?

Nick

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
laurens ch said:
I'm not a sharpening guru, but maybe the vg10 in the f1 is more wear resistant than A2 used in the north star.

Possibly, but the Northstar does seem to hold its edge a little longer than the F1. Don't get me wrong the F1 is still an incredibly sharp knife, but the Northstar seems to sharpen up a little better. Maybe the angles on the cutting edge intersect at a slightly steeper angle?

Nick

Possibly. I live in a wet place where blades with secondary bevels don;t do well making fine fuzzies from wet or damp wood. Scandi and convex grinds do.
Axes and hatchets ground properly have a convex grind, so it's well worth seeing if your hatchet carves good fuzzies. A convex grind must be uniform to be worthwhile, but a person can use a mousepad under emery to create such a uniform convex on a Mora. Round the top shoulders of the bevels and I believe that a definite increase in cutting performance is seen. That's just an approximation of the full convex on a Bark River, but it'll be seen whether a full convex grind is a worthwhile addition.
So I might be a fan of convex - but I figure my reasons are sound.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE