New Bushcraft/Firearms Poll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Are You Interested in Firearms Training Related to Bushcraft

• Not at all; there is no place for firearms in bushcraft

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Not at all; I understand the place of firearms but have no personal interest in their use

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • A little; perhaps a taster session with air rifles

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Interested in gaining experience of several firearms including shotgun and/or section 1

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • Very Interested; Advanced training including ballistics and stalking

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Very Interested; A long course leading to a qualification

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Already have fireamrs but would be interested in further training/opportunities

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • Already have firearms and training

Votes: 45 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....I still don't think training has a genuine 'need',. getting the average person to have a go is great, but 'training' gives me mental image of a fat middle aged man playing ultimate defendor with a handgun under the supervision of another fat middle aged man with sunglasses on ,even though they are indoors.. maybe I've watched too many annoying youtube videos? lol.....

It might also be interesting to note that despite the image of the "fat middle aged man" the fastest growing group of gun owners and shooters here is women under 25. Currently it's estimated that one out of every four women in that age group owns a gun here. That's up 77% in less than a decade.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Got no problem with gun use in bushcraft, weather its for gathering food or simply having fun popping a few targets.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
As soon as English and French traders showed the native aboriginals in North America (preeminent bushcrafters if there ever was any) what firearms were, those natives did everything they could do to upgrade as fast as possible. The reason for this is that guns, even an old, smoothbore, flintlock trade musket, simply killed better and more efficiently, either for hunting or for fighting, than the bow and arrows produced by a stone age culture.

Hunting is a vital component of real bushcraft, and guns simply do it better. One man here mentioned living off the land with just a shotgun and an air rifle. That is actually an excellent combination when you are operating from a base camp or homestead. A scoped .22LR rifle is also a good tool for the bush (I prefer the Ruger 10/22). A really good, compact gun for the bush, if you have the skill to use it and your laws allow it, is a .22 caliber revolver that has two cylinders, one for .22 WMR and one for .22LR. However, laws aside, it takes a fair degree of skill to use a handgun for anything other than short range defense.

However, if guns aren't your thing for personal or legal reasons, learning other weapons and methods is a must for serious bushcraft.

Here is a YouTube channel that some here might find interesting. He and his people do a lot of bushcraft using the H&R break action, single barrel 12ga shotgun. His video of reloading a 12ga shell on a tree stump with a hatchet and a screwdriver is an example of where he goes with the subject.
http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters

A very interesting video everyone should watch is 'I, Caveman' produced by Morgan Spurlock (of 'Super Size Me' fame). They attempted to recreate, in a valley high in the Rocky Mountains in the USA, a tribe of ice age people using stone tools. They wanted to see if modern humans still had it in them. Much to the shock of the anthropologist watching the experiment from afar, starving and pretty much out of food, they managed to bring down a full grown elk with a dart launched with an atlatl.

On the subject of defense, this is an American perspective, and your island may be a bit tamer, but the world has a bad habit of getting nasty from time to time.

Having grown up in the rural western USA and having spent a lot of time in the wilderness, some of it pretty remote, my personal experience is that self-defense in the bush is an issue. It's been an issue since aboriginal times for all peoples around the world. Archaeologists have found that most neolithic and paleolithic tribes around the world all fought each other on a regular basis. The aboriginal natives of the USA fought each other like cats and dogs long before the Whites arrived. There is a reason that all forest rangers in the USA carry a high capacity semi-auto handgun (typically .40 S&W caliber) and a couple of spare mags loaded with hollowpoints.

This isn't just a modern thing, it has always been like this. The only thing which has changed are the weapons used.

Myself, in addition to the occasional obnoxious human, one of the more unpleasant problems I have had in the American bush is the modern problem of feral dog packs that have no fear of humans. I never go out into the bush unarmed, even if all I have is a blade, like a machete or a kukri. IMHO, you don't need much of what people call 'tactical training' for self-defense out in the bush. If you are a good hunter, alert to your environment, and a good, fast shot, then you can defend yourself if you have the will to do so.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think shooting over land for food is hunting it's not bushcraft , just as catching fish is fishing and not bushcraft though they may be loosely connected

By that token then isn't foraging for berries, roots, fungi and leaves just eating and not bushcraft too? Time to throw away the copy of Food For Free I think.;)

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I don't know why anyone would think training unnecessary - safe handling and use of firearms isn't an innate skill. How to carry your wpn safely, how to zero the sights, how to choose a safe shot, how to actually shoot straight, must all be taught to the novice by someone. I did day courses for smallholders wanting to do their own pest control, it was remarkable how their early, 'Yes it's easy with a scope' confidence fell away after shooting a 10" group at 25 yards.

Old Pa

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
Northwoods
Why would someone not want to know how to safely check and clear a "found" weapon? Shouldn't every parent know how to do this?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Why would someone not want to know how to safely check and clear a "found" weapon? Shouldn't every parent know how to do this?

I suppose with a lot of modern firearms being pretty standard you could say that but with some more exotic or older weapons the OP can be confusing or non existent. In which case the general public are advised to not touch them and call the authorities.

I agree though it's a good thing to know and safety was drilled into me.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

Because the Police might want to check it for fingerprints? Or alternatively, because people simply don't "find" weapons laying around in the UK?

In all honesty, I can think of no reason at all that would make me want to "safety check and clear a "found" weapon", not when there are so many much more enjoyable ways to go about getting myself into trouble :)

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I wouldn't touch a weapon I found - one chap about a year ago found a sawn-off shotgun thrown over his garden wall, took it to the police station and was promptly arrested for illegal possession of a firearm. Mandatory 5-year sentence (unless you're a copper yourself, obviously, in which case you get a caution).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I wouldn't touch a weapon I found - one chap about a year ago found a sawn-off shotgun thrown over his garden wall, took it to the police station and was promptly arrested for illegal possession of a firearm. Mandatory 5-year sentence (unless you're a copper yourself, obviously, in which case you get a caution).

Seriously? Wouldn't think the Police would do that to an honest citizen. Yes it may have been wiser to phone them as regards evidence but putting someone away for that?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Seriously? Wouldn't think the Police would do that to an honest citizen. Yes it may have been wiser to phone them as regards evidence but putting someone away for that?

I heard a story a little while ago about an off duty WPC who was walking her police dog, the dog sniffed out some "drugs", the WPC took the "drugs" to the station where she's based, and promptly got arrested for possession of a controlled substance. Whether the story's true or not I couldn't tell you, but if it is it's pretty worrying.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I heard a story a little while ago about an off duty WPC who was walking her police dog, the dog sniffed out some "drugs", the WPC took the "drugs" to the station where she's based, and promptly got arrested for possession of a controlled substance. Whether the story's true or not I couldn't tell you, but if it is it's pretty worrying.
I must admit to always feeling sceptical about these type of story, that either they're made up or there are underlying facts that we're not being told.

Always hard to get to the bottom of these things too. But I would still like to feel I have trust in the Police. Things are bad if we can't.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I must admit to always feeling sceptical about these type of story, that either they're made up or there are underlying facts that we're not being told.....

I couldn't agree more, I imagine that the underlying facts are something as mundane as, "....and then she was de-arrested as she had obviously committed no crime and the original arrest simply served to maintain legal protocol."

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
That's as maybe, I still wouldn't go handing in any found weapons even so. I'm not entirely sure a person would be safe phoning one in, as it might be deemed that merely by standing next to it you are 'in possession', just as people have been done for 'drunk in charge of a car' for locking it before getting a taxi home.

I mentioned this to my Firearms Enquiry Officer at my last renewal, she said she'd be inclined to leave any found weapon where it was and do nothing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE