New bushcraft enthusiast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraft_Ginge

Jan 12, 2023
linconshire
Hi guys I have recently been becoming enthusiastic around starting to get into bushcraft and wild camping im from a relatively non outdoors family so have very little knowledge on anywhere around me (North Lincolnshire) I would appreciate any pointers on how to get into contact with anyone with a woodland area to practice in.

I have been researching tools like knifes and have a good idea of what i would get but not too sure on the legality of carrying such kinfes around 4-5 inch also im not sure on appropriate clothing so some ideas on that would be nice aswell

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Welcome.
the quick answer to your knife question is it’s legal to carry discreetly to and from your chosen activity. Eg you have to have a justifiable reason to carry It. To the woods to practice carving a tent peg Is justifiable with landowners permission etc.

down the dog and duck after a shandy you’re going to be arrested. Lots more grey nuance than that. Plenty of threads on knife law if you do a quick search.

Bushcraft_Ginge

Jan 12, 2023
linconshire
Welcome.
the quick answer to your knife question is it’s legal to carry discreetly to and from your chosen activity. Eg you have to have a justifiable reason to carry It. To the woods to practice carving a tent peg Is justifiable with landowners permission etc.

down the dog and duck after a shandy you’re going to be arrested. Lots more grey nuance than that. Plenty of threads on knife law if you do a quick search.
Thanks you Wayne :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Finding woodland where you can go practice your skills can be troublesome. I'd suggest you ask friends, family and work colleagues if they know anyone who might be able to help you.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Welcome to the forum :)

I'd recommend asking around to try and find an experienced group near you and spend time out with them. Beware though, there are some right 'cowboys' out there claiming to 'do bushcraft' :( Alternatively, if you can afford it, do a weekend course; you'll get a lot out of it before you spend money on kit.

There are plenty of threads on here talking about what knives and other kit to get to start off with as well as the legality of carrying knives - do a search. Whereas Wayne's advice is correct, I would add 'discretely carry to and from your chosen activity' is best done in the bottom of your pack rather than on your person - not strictly necessary in law but you don't want to be having that conversation on your way to a camp.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi guys I have recently been becoming enthusiastic around starting to get into bushcraft and wild camping im from a relatively non outdoors family so have very little knowledge on anywhere around me (North Lincolnshire) I would appreciate any pointers on how to get into contact with anyone with a woodland area to practice in.

I have been researching tools like knifes and have a good idea of what i would get but not too sure on the legality of carrying such kinfes around 4-5 inch also im not sure on appropriate clothing so some ideas on that would be nice aswell

Like a new drivers first car a first knife or first set of clothing doesn't need to be high end or 'special'- just functional as opposed to being flawless. Its there at this stage for learning the basics and putting them into practice.

Save yourself the pain of the initial neophyte grail search and just pick up a Mora and get used to that for a while.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Welcome to the forum.

Plenty on here to get you started, if you use the right search terms. Beware, its a rabbit hole!
Certainly I think your questions have been asked before many times, so I won't wang on with my advice, it's mostly nonsense anyway.

Reactions: Bushcraft_Ginge

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE