New BG Kit from Gerber

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
I think people get too caught up in names. forget the fact that it has BG name plastered all over it and look at the kit itself. some of the bits I've actually seen have been fairly impressive, and of excellent build quality. while the colour scheme is not my cupa tea, practical its easy to find at night, the handles are all non-slip, and fairly rugged, some of the kit you can see the influence of the climber for instance the serrated blade, which is excellent for cutting rope and belts, etc but pants at keeping sharp in the wild, the sheafs are a bit gadgety but again that a preference not a negative comment. regardless of my personal opinions of BG, looking at the kit itself, it's certainly far better quality per price than a lot of the stuff on the market today.
I would certainly like to put it all through its paces and see if the overall hype can be justified.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't doubt it'll stand up as well as other mid price range gear, it all comes down to whether you want the garish logos and the constant pee take from your mates. There's plenty of similar alternatives without the BG logo so it's personal choice at the end of the day.

BG is a top bloke from what I've read, watched and been told by people who work with him, he's making programmes dreamt up by TV companies so when he jumps off a 75ft waterfall instead of walking round it's only because it excites the young or gullible and leads to good viewing figures/dvds/merchandise

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thing is though there are many many cheaper knives out there, it's not as though there only choices of expensive knives or these ones.

Talking to a mate the other day we decided to try some cheaper knives, so he has ordered a few of the older BG knives and i have ordered some very cheap Chinese knives.
As i already have a Mora it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Last edited:

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I've had quite a few bits from his clothing line "fail" on me after only a few weeks of hard use. I havent tried any of the Gerber kit, but if you ever are in any of the national parks in the US you see a lot of younger guys with his knives strapped to their back pack straps, and a lot of others "displaying" his kit. It may just be because it stands out more, but you do see a lot of it.

On a side note apparently Les Stroud will be bringing out a similar "survival" range very shortly, this will be different from his Bushcraft knife. I am guessing this will coinside with his new 10 day survior man show which he has just finished filming.

The "Survival" tag is a growing trend in the US and to some extent here in Europe, with Gerber expanding the range and Les Stroud brining out his own it will be interesting to see if anyone else decides to enter this growing market place! I red a very interesting article recently about the ever increasing sales of "A Years Supply" of freeze dried food to city types fearing a major financial crash in the UK!

More competition should hopefully mean better quality kit, or more cleaver marketing in this sector!

Speaking of the devil: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55711

They have to make a living, I guess....

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I havn't worn clothes with my name in them since I was six I'm buggered if I'm going to wear someone elses....

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Speaking of the devil: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55711

They have to make a living, I guess....

It's a shame they all tend to drop to whoring their names out though, i mean it must have been a pretty slow month in the Stroud household to have him slapping his name on something that has nothing to do with Bushcraft.
http://shop.lesstroud.ca/products

Stroud7.jpg

Sure they have to make a living and if they can that by doing something they love more power to them.
You do get to a point though where names and brands are watered down to the point where instead of meaning quality they mean selling out.

Ferrari is a prime example, i didn't own a single piece and never will of Ferrari branded clothing, even when i had one.

It's the same with the BG stuff, rather than concentrate on quality stuff that he has had 100% control over from design to production, he's just picked existing products, got them to do a few small changed, slapped his name on them and took his share.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Les Stroud posted on the Bushcraft USA website, publicising his new range. Basically he said his stuff would be top quality (although you'll pay for it - lets hope not Woodlore prices!), unlike some others who are only in it for the money...........................

Not very classy, Les!. Like BG or hate him, his stuff is reasonably priced (important for the youngsters), decent quality if not tiop of the range, and he does more (for free) to get kids out into the outdoors than most.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ferrari is a prime example, i didn't own a single piece and never will of Ferrari branded clothing, even when i had one.

I'm the same with Toyota.....

These threads make me laugh... Like BG cares what a bunch of blokes on a website think of his shows or the kit Gerber makes that he endorses.

Like it or not the TV shows he makes are popular and because of this the kit Gerber Makes is popular as well.

Fundamentally there is no difference in BG waving a Gerber BG branded waterbottle around on one of his shows to say RM wearing a RM branded Swazi Jacket on one on his shows.. It's just to some folk somehow that water bottle doesn't have the same level of worthiness about it... Or perhaps I'm missing something....

Survival shows are currently in vogue on TV at some point in the next 5 years (maybe considerably less) they won't be. So folk are making hay while the sun shines.. BG, Gerber, Bushcraft Expeditions et al...

While I'm all for folk sharing opinions and free speech.. The whole BG, MvW , BG Gerber knives and kit thing is becoming a bit of a stuck record... It's like we need to have something to hate on a regular done to death basis... BG gives us something to hate on BCUK. Sadly as a collective group we need a hate figure... Or so it seems....

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
While I'm all for folk sharing opinions and free speech.. The whole BG, MvW , BG Gerber knives and kit thing is becoming a bit of a stuck record... It's like we need to have something to hate on a regular done to death basis... BG gives us something to hate on BCUK. Sadly as a collective group we need a hate figure... Or so it seems....

Made me think... wise words. Let's focus on the positive side...

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'm the same with Toyota.....

These threads make me laugh... Like BG cares what a bunch of blokes on a website think of his shows or the kit Gerber makes that he endorses.

Like it or not the TV shows he makes are popular and because of this the kit Gerber Makes is popular as well.

Fundamentally there is no difference in BG waving a Gerber BG branded waterbottle around on one of his shows to say RM wearing a RM branded Swazi Jacket on one on his shows.. It's just to some folk somehow that water bottle doesn't have the same level of worthiness about it... Or perhaps I'm missing something....

Survival shows are currently in vogue on TV at some point in the next 5 years (maybe considerably less) they won't be. So folk are making hay while the sun shines.. BG, Gerber, Bushcraft Expeditions et al...

I have never seen any Toyota branded aftershave, clothes, brollies etc.
Plus in my opinion they don't really have a good brand to start ;)

Can't speak for anyone else, but hate is far to strong a word for my opinion.
Personally i don't really care if he becomes the next PM or drops off a cliff tomorrow, i don't know the guy and can't say as i'm really interested in knowing him, so at the strongest my opinion is i don't care.

But then i'm not really a hero worship kinda guy, and never have been.

Pretty sure he couldn't careless about our opinions, but then i'm not trying to sell him kit with my name on am i ;)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Can't speak for anyone else, but hate is far to strong a word for my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion and I thank you for it. Hate is exactly the right word for it IMHO. After the first 18 months of threads on BG, MvW et al I think we pretty much exhausted most of the rational negative comments it's possible to make on a given subject.. To keep banging on now regurgitating the same old stuff would indicate to me folk need someone to hate.. It's part of the human condition as a collective we need a hate figure, BG is ours on BCUK ( until someone else comes along). As long as were mature enough to recognise it collectively.

But then i'm not really a hero worship kinda guy, and never have been.

Me neither I can seperate genuine heroes from TV presenters and understand that TV is not real life nor is the person presenting a TV programme actually 100% responsible for it's content.

Say in the case of MvW the content might be a shared responsibility between the Presenter BG, the Production Company Diverse Bristol, The programmes comissioning body Discovery Channel, The 'Survival Consultants' used for a particular Episode say Bushcraft Expeditions etc...

Pretty sure he couldn't careless about our opinions, but then i'm not trying to sell him kit with my name on am i ;)

Indeed your not, and you do have a wide choice of alternative kit available.. If the Gerber BG branded stuff strikes a chord with you then for the price point I'm sure it will be adequate... If you dont like it fine.. Folk seem not to lke the stuff not so much from a functional view point more from a 'not wanting to be associated with BG' view point.

Thats fine but understand the target demographic for the stuff is not the same demographic that BCUK represents..

Just like the latest Katy Perry Tune would probably not go down well in a Old Folks home.

BG's Gerber Waterbottle and other stuff doesnt sit well here on BCUK.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
if even 1% of the stuff was new and exciting I'd consider giving it the time of day but slapping BG on anyold piece of carp expecting it to sell pisses me off

but then I feel the same about RM stuff

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Anyone here seen 'The Walking Dead' and the BG branded 'tool toll' of Gerber machetes and such? Blatant product placement!

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Apocalypse-Kit_30-000601
http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse

I might be in the market for a brushhook given all the brambles we have, but I oddly don't feel the need to get a 'zombie slaying' combination machete and brushhook.

I actually have something very similar to the hatchet they advertise, but it is Fiskars axe X7, and quite a handy little hatchet it is too. Many of the 'Gerber' tools I have found are more easily available at hardware stores, just branded Fiskars Finland instead. I think Fiskars have bought up Gerber, and Silva compasses too.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I havn't worn clothes with my name in them since I was six I'm buggered if I'm going to wear someone elses....
How about "St Michael"?
"This is no ordinary pair of cotton Y-fronts - these are M&S pure cotton, comfortably shaped, delicately elasticated, super cozy Y-fronts ....":D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE