New BG Kit from Gerber

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
G01062_INSHEATH.jpg

G01062_ANGLED.jpg

G1270.html

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Pretty extensive collection now.

Sad thing is that even if his stuff ranged from half decent to bloody good, i still would not buy anything that has his name on it.
I could probably be swayed if it was a LOT cheaper and LOT more subtle and in the branding, but i'll be buggered if i'll pay money for something with his name on AND wlk around advertising him as well.

Luckily most the stuff has a close enough equivalent from the manufacturers without all the BG tat splatted all over it.

Last edited:

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
In all honesty there's probably not much added per unit by the name - the name / branding is there to add volume of sales rather than cost per unit... Think of the shaving advert series with Henry, Federer and Woods. 'Modern' shaving equipment pricing isn't artificially pumped up in price beyond what costs were incurred in paying the guys for the adverts, etc. I'm guessing BG got a similar deal from both Gerber and Craghoppers.

Plus I'd like to think (although I realised he would have been paid!) that some of BG's intentions would be to use his influence to create a set of affordable equipment a novice could buy with some confidence of it being at least acceptable compared to gambling on kit from the 'standard fare' of the outdoor mega-shop, i.e. that this kit becomes the 'standard fare'

Though I agree that I'd not want to be seen as a weekend warrior by turning out in full BG kit, it may not be bad value - time will tell.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ugh, i'd find it hard not to laugh at people using any stuff with his name on it... How much of a mark-up in price on items when his name is added... anyone know?

I know quite a few exped leaders and outdoors professionals that use some of his gear constantly. Especially the Crags shirts. I certainly wouldn't laugh at any of them as they have forgotten more than I'll ever know and done more in a year than most people do in 40.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have one of his fleeces apart from the colour (orville green) and his name scrawled on it its actually a really good fleece very windproof although it is getting a little tired now the wife bought me it a couple of years ago at first i shuddered at it but well it was very warm when worn and practical.

Hopefully the quality of his stuff remains good through all the gear...

I dont normally like brands and would feel silly being beared up lol but the odd item i can do

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Watched his show with Johnathon Ross and he was waving the w/bottle about, good bit of advertising thinks I. Good luck to the man. Pretty funny show too.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I watched his most recent programs with Wossy and Miranda and he actually seemed like a bloody nice guy, unfortunately for him while he was trying to point out the beauty of the scenery he had two people trying to crack jokes and be wise asses..

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
I've had quite a few bits from his clothing line "fail" on me after only a few weeks of hard use. I havent tried any of the Gerber kit, but if you ever are in any of the national parks in the US you see a lot of younger guys with his knives strapped to their back pack straps, and a lot of others "displaying" his kit. It may just be because it stands out more, but you do see a lot of it.

On a side note apparently Les Stroud will be bringing out a similar "survival" range very shortly, this will be different from his Bushcraft knife. I am guessing this will coinside with his new 10 day survior man show which he has just finished filming.

The "Survival" tag is a growing trend in the US and to some extent here in Europe, with Gerber expanding the range and Les Stroud brining out his own it will be interesting to see if anyone else decides to enter this growing market place! I red a very interesting article recently about the ever increasing sales of "A Years Supply" of freeze dried food to city types fearing a major financial crash in the UK!

More competition should hopefully mean better quality kit, or more cleaver marketing in this sector!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE