Need some help - Elderflower ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 26, 2008
Devon, UK
Im not sure if this is elderflower or not am a bit unsure of the leave shape.

If any one could help??

20130608_131601.jpg

Aug 26, 2008
Devon, UK
Thanks, had this feeling it wasnt elderflower. Would hawthorn blossom make a suitable substitute for elderflower in a homebrew 'champagne'?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
+1 on what Toddy says. Haws are out but the elders aren't. Leaf arrangement and flowers are different.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Doesn't have the same perfume but here's a recipe LINK Though never used it myself. The only fruit blossom we were allowed to use was elderberry. It's the old superstition about bringing fruit blossom in the house - brings bad luck and famine. (Which is sensible when you think of it as if you cut all the flowers off you'll not have any fruit set later in the year. (And Hawthorn syrup - from the haws - is just too good to miss.):p

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think that might be whitebeam rather than hawthorn - Swedish whitebeam - sorbus intermedia

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Here is some Elderberry for comparison...........don't forget to click on the scent option 'cause the perfume is delish.

Those don't look like hawthorn leaves either, so prehaps BR is right
Hawthorn.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Doesn't have the same perfume but here's a recipe LINK Though never used it myself. The only fruit blossom we were allowed to use was elderberry. It's the old superstition about bringing fruit blossom in the house - brings bad luck and famine. (Which is sensible when you think of it as if you cut all the flowers off you'll not have any fruit set later in the year. (And Hawthorn syrup - from the haws - is just too good to miss.):p

It is May blossom that "breaks your Mother's heart" and possibly goes back to celebration "a'Maying" when according to a Puritan Vicar those girls a'Maying and staying out all night would be "defiled" and thus bringing in the may blossom to the house might indicate this to the dismay of mothers.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:oops: We have Rowans here; I forget that there are others in the family without the composite leaves.
Whitebeam....I'll keep a look out for those :D Thank you for the links :)

Mayflower stinks. There's no way anyone would want to bring it into the house :yuck: Elder now, that's sweet :) and very tasty :cool:

May is the first of the real washing months in the past. Wash your face in the dew on Mayday and you'll be beautiful all year :) Wash your hair in water with the birch leaves boiled up in it and it'll be clean and shiny and smell lovely. The soapwort is up too, and sarks and shifts were stripped off and washed.....of course watching the girls at their ablutions, especially wet, and half dressed always attracted suitors...funny how the churchmen always blame the lassies though :rolleyes:

M

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whitebeams are lovely - I have planted plain s. aria here. They hybridise easily with rowans and other trees creating lots of sub species. Good food for birds (looks like tiny apples) and moths like the foliage. There is a lane lined with them round here where they have all just been cut into a neat shape - lovely trees

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know of them as kind of rare island species trees up here....Arran and Jura have them, dwarfed size trees, but it's mostly rowan around us here. I'm sure I've seen the little apples on a tree though, and it wasn't an apple, iimmc.

I've taken photos of the rowan and the hawthorn flourish and I'll get them up later on.

I'm looking forward to the elder flourish :D It makes such lovely early Summer foods and drinks :)

M

Aug 26, 2008
Devon, UK
Thanks everyone for the help and extra information :You_Rock_

You'll all be glad to know that after a bit of looking around we finally managed to find a few elder trees still in flower and have some elderflower champagne brewing up as we speak! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE