Need help finding a good stove/ bbq

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 22, 2010
Worthing
I'm looking for a good stove, bbq or something like that! I need it to cook for 2- 3 people and i would like it to be good for usage as a campfire, but one that's allowed in traditional campsites. Not sure if one like that exists, but any suggestions will be greatfully recieved, thanks :)

Rachel

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A lot of DIY and SUpermarkets sell a cast iron belly stove type BBQ. They are cheap about £18 IIRC. A wide cooking surface and the cast iron takess the heat well and even when it goes out it gives off a lot of warmth for some time. We used one for late summer camps and like Welsh coastal weather sometimes gets when it got cold we went into a communal, large frame tent and took it in. It kept it snug even when it actualy got cold and wet outside.

Take a look at ARgos as I think they sold them

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've got the sort of thing Paul B is talking about, got it from Morrisons for less than a tenner, been using it for 6 or 7 years now, far and away my favourite barby.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A mate I used to know about 15 years ago got one and we used it on group camps. I noticed it on a photo of his recently online and it appears to be going strong. I mean it is solid cast iron parts. IIRC it comes in two parts with a solid grill surface to it not one of those flimsy shiny wire racks on most BBQs. Solid Victorian technology last for years. Wooden handles to allow you to move it even when lit and too hot to touch apart from the handles. Cooks well too.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have an Ozpig. It's superb and we have been able to use it on all the campsites we visit.

http://www.ozpig.co.uk/

We have made many friends sat around it in those campsites and cooking on it is a joy.

Jedidiah came out, saw it and sent me off with cash to get him one. Then I started with the accessories - dutch oven, skillets....

Once you get the heat going it is lovely to sit around, top open as a fire, closed and humming with heat. Can't recommend it enough

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
x2 on the Ozpig. Superb fun, when used with a griddle pan it's better than a BBQ as the food doesn't get so scorched. Often used as a chimnea when the cooking is done. We frequently have to pack it up as we get invited to friend's houses as long as the Ozpig comes with us!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE