Neats foot oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
While reading various posts on leather work, I've noticed Neats foot oil mentioned a few times. Can anyone tell me what it is, and what its use on leather is for? I'm thinking of a couple of future projects and wondering if I shall need any. :)
Thanks in advance.
Colin.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Im probably wrong i think there are two type's pure neats foot oil,and one with synthetic materials in it? the pure form is derived from the hooves of cattle? and it is used to soften reenvigerate dry/old leather make it supple etc..im going purely from memory no google fu,so like i say could be completely wrong. just googled see told you i could be wrong, not the hooves, but feet and shin bones of cattle!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oiled leather repels water better than oil-less leather.
Most good leather treatments are a mix of oils and waxes (generally more oil = less shine in boot polishes ... squaddies used to burn the oil out of shoe polish for a high shine).
If I want a natural and supple finish on leatherwork rather than a dyed and waxed finish I use Neatsfoot Oil - if I want a stiff and natural finish I use beeswax.
For a dyed and stiffish finish I use boot polish after a spirit based dye...
Usually!

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yup, horsey places. It's what I used to do all my tack with when I had ponies - back in the pre Ark times :D. It works well and makes the leather beautifully soft and silky, the proper stuff from cow's feet (a "neat" is anoher word for cow/cattle), but gets everywhere! I used to brush it on, allow it to soak in then rub the leather up. The leather will go black so you won't keep any dye colourings. Dark, thin, silky bridle leather was very much de rigour when I was riding :cool:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
One word of caution - when you buy, be certain you're getting neatsfoot oil and not neatsfoot oil COMPOUND. The packaging is almost the same, from the same manufacturers, but the latter is just a blend of cheap mineral oils - it's the stuff that started the old chestnut about N.F.oil rotting stitching - it doesn't but the compound can..........hope this helps.........atb mac

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
You can still get raw neats foot oil from the tripe shop on Accrington market for a quid a pint, mainly sold to grannies as a rubbing oil. It's great stuff especially if you let it stand so the gooey yellow stuff separates out and you are left with a clear yellowish liquid in the top. It's sold in recycled pop bottles so if anyone wants any we'd have to come up with some stronger container that would be postable. In the past I've used charity shop sigg bottles and clones but don't have any at the moment.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
You can still get raw neats foot oil from the tripe shop on Accrington market for a quid a pint, mainly sold to grannies as a rubbing oil. It's great stuff especially if you let it stand so the gooey yellow stuff separates out and you are left with a clear yellowish liquid in the top. It's sold in recycled pop bottles so if anyone wants any we'd have to come up with some stronger container that would be postable. In the past I've used charity shop sigg bottles and clones but don't have any at the moment.

ATB

Tom

That sounds interesting I will have a look at that , when is the market on?

curiosity

Jan 23, 2013
Kent
Hmmmm.... Given that my 1L bottle of neatsfoot oil smells quite pleasant, i suspect its a blend as described elsewhere in this thread (purchased on eBay as pure neatsfoot oil). Is it possible to make at home? And, naive, question, is it possible to use lard or some other rendered down animal fat instead?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Curiosity, the stuff I use I know to be 100% pure and it smells fine, it's very refined and all the nasty stuff that stinks taken out..............Believe me, you don't want to be messing with animal fats and rendering them, you'll spend the rest of your days getting the stink and mess off yourself and the place you used to do it!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That sounds interesting I will have a look at that , when is the market on?

i go to the flea market on Thursdays and its open then, I don't really go on the normal market days so can't say if its open Every day. It's one of the brick built stalls on the side facing the bus stops. The hot black pudding they sell is worth a try as well!

atb

tom

ps although its a bit naff during the bad weather it's the Thursday flea where I find a lot of the tools I do up for a song, like that mass of leather punches I found.

Last edited:

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
i go to the flea market on Thursdays and its open then, I don't really go on the normal market days so can't say if its open Every day. It's one of the brick built stalls on the side facing the bus stops. The hot black pudding they sell is worth a try as well!

atb

tom

ps although its a bit naff during the bad weather it's the Thursday flea where I find a lot of the tools I do up for a song, like that mass of leather punches I found.

Guess where I am going on Thursday !!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Got myself another pint, when bought at 9.30 it looked like yellow wax but a day in a warm rucksack has left it like runny golden syrup.

The flea market itself wasn't much cop, later in the year it picks up and I've had some real corking kit from it. The charity shops nearby did me better a sleeveless swanni wool vest in XL, looks unused except for some cat hairs, for £4 and a pair of either size 9 or very wide 8s (fits me easy anyway) high ankle clogs. There's no wear on the irons , the leathers a bit dry so I'll give them a feed before I go AR on them and polish all the rust off with the Dremel . £6.50.

Atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE