mythical beast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
I was out and about in the new forest last weekend and came across a herd of deer, one of them was totally white. I whipped out my camera and managed to get this picture. I’ve never seen a white deer before only heard about them in books and films so it got me wondering are they quite common or do I have photographic evidence of a mythical beast :D

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
M@rk said:
I’ve never seen a white deer before only heard about them in books and films so it got me wondering are they quite common or do I have photographic evidence of a mythical beast :D

They are quite common now it seems. This Christmas my sister, who lives near the King's Forest, Thetford, told me there is an entire herd of white deer there. I thought this was most unusual but then about half the large herd, about forty deer, that I saw recently from a nearby wood in Dorset were white.

There arn't enough natural predators about I guess.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi,
Here in Scotland we have quite a few stories about white stags and hinds in red deer. I've seen one or two over the years but they are not common.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I have no idea about hunting etc but the white deer certainly stands out - perhaps in the past this was why they were rarer. I have seen several in the New Forest herds where they are managed and enclosed.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Quite a few of the fallow found in West Dorset are white or pale in comparison to your 'normal' ones.

I've yet to see any pale or white Sika though - anyone?

Bob :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mark,

Mythical or otherwise, pure white deer are at least unusual - great photo mate :You_Rock_

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
We get quite a lot of white deer in St Leonards forest near Horsham. Amazingly they can be hard to find......................Jon

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
White stands out and should normally not be an evolutionary advantage. But from all those centuries without predators may have given them an opportunity. Maybe humans are more reluctant to shoot white deer.

Torjus Gaaren

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
torjusg said:
White stands out and should normally not be an evolutionary advantage. But from all those centuries without predators may have given them an opportunity. Maybe humans are more reluctant to shoot white deer.

Torjus Gaaren

Well, on some of the local pheasant shoots, I know a white bird entails a hefty fine! A £50 tip to the keeper or on another one, a bottle of port. Mind you, I'm sure none of those are as bad as the ribbing for missing, or even worse, leaving it if it comes over your peg.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
torjusg said:

Torjus Gaaren

It's prevolution!!! When global warming stops the atlantic conveyor system that drives the gulf stream and keeps Britain warmer, the weather will be more like that in Labrador, Canada. The white deer will then be the most likely to survive being camoflaged against the snow. Their genes are actually predicting the future. Spooky!!!

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
M@rk said:
I was out and about in the new forest last weekend and came across a herd of deer, one of them was totally white. I whipped out my camera and managed to get this picture. I’ve never seen a white deer before only heard about them in books and films so it got me wondering are they quite common or do I have photographic evidence of a mythical beast :D
i used to holiday about 20yrs ago in brockenhurst area there was a couple about then in a decent sized herd here in forest of dean theres a couple of fallow,one a buck was in local paper fireman cutting it from tennis net.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
risby said:
It's prevolution!!! When global warming stops the atlantic conveyor system that drives the gulf stream and keeps Britain warmer, the weather will be more like that in Labrador, Canada. The white deer will then be the most likely to survive being camoflaged against the snow. Their genes are actually predicting the future. Spooky!!!

LOL very good made my day that:lmao:

M@rk nice photo:cool:

James

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Probably the lack of predatory animals allows these "white/albinos" to pass on their genes to the pool with some success. I was allways told that an old "albino" of a species was by nessecity "smarter" in being able to evade predators for such a long time as it had definate blending in problems. The "albinos" are different than the Polar Bear that uses the pale cream colouring to actually blend in the background. The deer in the picture looks to have dark eyes and a black nose makes it white, not specificly "albino" also in BC there is a coastal bear "ghost bear" that actual is cream coloured as opposed to an "albino" this ghost bear has dark pigments in the eyes, nose, claws etc...

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
the deer in the picture are fallow, the white one is also fallow these are normally park bred and not usually found in the wild as the pelage offers no camoflage.

Ian

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
M@rk said:

Great photo! The next deer herd to the north of us has a prediliction for white deer. They don't seem to be albinos in that some of the deer are piebald (half white, half brown), a very odd thing to see in deer. The white deer don't generally fair well as they make a tempting target for hunters and wolves. The other deer don't treat them well either - apparently racist.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE