My take on a gas bottle burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
This is copied and pasted directly from another site I frequent, thought it would be on interest here too :)

At some point I'll get a post started on my garage and how its progressing from a full of rubbish, leaking, pre-fab monstrosity to something a little more usable with the long term aim of maybe even getting a car in there to work on it! Until then I'd like to share my first project which seemed very high on the list of priorities considering the fairly cool spring we seem to be having... The photo's may not represent the true chronological order of things and there will be a lot of gaps between progress due to me being toss at remembering to take pictures. Bear in mind also that I'm new to fabrication so feel free to have a laugh at my expense as I try to glue things together with a welder that is both older than me and been the victim of one of my 'rebuilds'

Sorry for the ramble, let's get some pictures going!

So here's one of the early photo's. It started with 1" tube legs but looked a bit er... shat! I remembered about the dead ABL block out of my van so cut the legs off and fitted these. Door is cut and tack welded back into place ready for making the hinges and window is cut out and held in with four bits of threaded bar, washers and nuts.

IMG_20130318_184305.jpg

Next step (in the photo's anyway) hinges made out out of 6mm plate and welded on, M8 bolt tacked into 13mm spanner and passed through the door into M8 nut welded into place for the catch and we're here:

IMG_20130320_170708.jpg

From t'other side:

IMG_20130320_170651.jpg

So then the scrap man turns up for the fridge I've left on the front lawn and I collar him to see if there's owt on his truck that I fancy, turns out he's got around 3m of 100mm tube, score! So with a few templates printed off:

IMG_20130324_170146.jpg

Will it work?

IMG_20130324_170404.jpg

Yessum! BZZZZZT *grind*:

IMG_20130324_192853.jpg

So now, getting excited, I decide to cobble it together to see what it will look like:

IMG_20130324_192731.jpg

Winner! Dead happy with that so I decided on a test burn because I can't remember the last time I nearly suffocated on burning paint/galv fumes...

IMG_20130324_210458.jpg

And with the light's off:

IMG_20130324_210611.jpg

So that's where the photo's on my phone get to. In the next installment of 'Ballbag builds CO deathtrap' I'll get some photo's of the finer details and further progress.

If you've read this far then you definitely don't have ADD and you're welcome to come and have a brew in the man lab at any time you're passing through NG17. Future posts will be less wordy, I promise!

Cheers, Lee.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
In the next installment of 'Ballbag builds CO deathtrap' ...
Hahaha I'll definately be reading that one!! MOST entertaining and what a great idea with the piston feet/ attachment... wish I'd thought of that for my engine based tipi :) If there was a fifth piston, you could knock up a clock for its mantel piece too, hubbys just done one out of a flood bust engine-
544416_10200350826667721_82582391_n.jpg

Is the window a pyrex dish? Seen that done before in a living van, it worked real well :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Brilliant engineering. Would look much cooler if you made the whole thing silver, like a jet engine :cool: :cool:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I would like to know if the glass in the door is from a washing machine door or like has been mentioned a Pyrex dish? either way what a brilliant effort. I love the piston feet. I cant see how you regulate the air intake on the stove, Also cleaning the chimney at the bend could be made easier with a hatch door built in to the stove pipe.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
BJJJ: Cheers :) Over the moon with it so far, I'm not particularly creative but this seems to be flowing well!

Wingstoo: Thanks, get yours re-started!

21st Century pict: Cheers! Pulse jet you say... :cool:

Welchyd1: Cheers, they look a lot better than the initial bits of tube and made me take a little more care in the rest of the build!

TurboGirl: Engine based Teepee? Link please! Luckily It's only on three legs so I'l be stealing the clock idea and passing it off as my own :D I think a nice "smiths" one out of an old jag would work nicely and will be ~50mm the same as the big end on these con-rods! Window is a Pyrex type bowl, three test burns and no signs of cracking!

Dwardo: I wouldn't stretch to engineering, more like metal bodging! Really appreciate the compliment though :) Oh and we must be on the same wavelength:

IMG_20130412_103935.jpg

didicoy: It's a pyrex dish, cheers :) Air inlets detailed in this post (the rear one anyway) flue cleaning I hadn't honestly thought about! A hatch is a good plan!

Copy and Paste again!

Righto, moar pics! Some progress, some just detail pics of different parts :)

Baffle fitted to lengthen the flue path therefore keeping the heat in the fire for longer:

DSCF1735.jpg

Rear air inlet, still undecided what to use as the cover/regulator, might strip a spare gearbox and use a helical gear, that would lok cool:

DSCF1729.jpg

Collar for the flue outlet, nice tight fit so shouldn't need to be sealed with paste etc. Welding is getting better too :)

DSCF1728.jpg

Hinge (detail pic of early work):

DSCF1726.jpg

Door handle (detail pic of previous work):

DSCF1727.jpg

Door glass fixing:

DSCF1733.jpg

And an arty pic (I WILL learn to use this camera!)

DSCF1745.jpg

Cheers for looking, more pics as it progresses :)

Biker

That's just superb! Well done! Love the idea of the Pyrex dish for a window, it would never had occurred to to do that.

+1 to Turbogirl for the con rod clock. I have just the thing sitting in a box in the barn. It's a genuine piston and con rod from the V8 one of these cars:

1974-ford-falcom-xb-mad-max-front-rightjpg.jpg

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've been thinking about using one of those pyrex dishes for the front of a gas bottle stove since I saw one on an Elm stove a few years ago.
How many burns have you had and I assume you left an allowance for expansion between the Pyrex and steel?

I much prefer gas bottle stoves that are lying down to standing up, I think it gets more heat into the room from the top surface and less just going up the chimney.
As for the helical gear, one from the kickstart mechanism would do the job nicely.

Are you planning on making the door seal more airtight to control the burn more effectively?

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Currently making a Jotul 602 clone, I too prefer the horizontal style of bottle stove.

DSCN0015.JPG

DSCN0043.JPG

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Well this one will have to get book marked! I've heard of using a Pyrex dish but I'm glad to see it in action so to speak. How's it holding up?

Is that some searing you have put around it or the fire place rope stuff?

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE