My handmade leather Bush Hat. Any other "Mad Hatters?"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Hi, I've spent the last few days making my first hat. It's been a great process which I've thoroughly enjoyed.
Are there any other "Mad Hatters?" on here? Feedback would be welcome.

P1250005_2.jpg

P1250004_2.jpg

P1250002_2.jpg

P1250001.jpg

P1250007.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Not bad at all..............needs a hat band though, :D
Why the front seam ? was it a question of not having a long enough piece of leather for the crown ?

I make my own leather hats as I'm always looking for THE hat but haven't found it yet. I prefer wired brims as being fickle, some days I want a certain style & others a different one.:)....I rather like the shape of your brim though.

I think a sweat band (either leather or cotton ) would be better than the silky lining but that's a just my preference..:)

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
I love a good hat - and that's a good hat!
Reminds of the hat Kevin Costner wore in that film the other night, Open Range - or at least it will a few years down the line when it's a bit more worn and weathered.
I quite like the front seam, gives it shape, and the brim's spot on too.
Lovely job - looks cool on you.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The Open Ranch hats..http://baronhats.com/openrange.htm

My favorite movie hats are the one worn by Jason Robards in Once upon a time in the west & the hat worn by Clint in High Plains Drifter........

Indy's Fedora is a cracker too.
:D & theres the one worn by Pierce Brosnan at the begining of Seraphim Falls.....hell ! I could go on all day about hats :rolleyes:

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Thanks everyone.
As for the fron seam, it's just how I wanted it. I like it.
When I finished the hat it was a bit on the tight side so I didn't want to put leather or canvas in. The recycled silky material was perfect. As time moves on and the hat stretches I might well upgrade it with the canvas band and the linning, then it will be really posh. HaHa

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
The Open Ranch hats..http://baronhats.com/openrange.htm

My favorite movie hats are the one worn by Jason Robards in Once upon a time in the west & the hat worn by Clint in High Plains Drifter........

Indy's Fedora is a cracker too.
:D & theres the one worn by Pierce Brosnan at the begining of Seraphim Falls.....hell ! I could go on all day about hats :rolleyes:

Hmmm... so nothing at all like Kevin Costner's Open Range hat, then?!
Fair enough - I did only say it reminded me of it, which it did!
It was just that I only got to watch the movie this morning after Sky-Plussing it.
(Fair cop, guv, I'll go quietly...)
:eek:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hmmm... so nothing at all like Kevin Costner's Open Range hat, then?!
Fair enough - I did only say it reminded me of it, which it did!
It was just that I only got to watch the movie this morning after Sky-Plussing it.
(Fair cop, guv, I'll go quietly...)

:eek:

Wasn't trying to prove you wrong dude, Just thought a link would would save people a trip to google :)I Have to admit, this hat reminds me of a lot of movie hats, from indiana Jones to out of Africa even though it doesn't actually look like any of them :D

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Sorry to cast a dark shadow but in my experience, leather hats tent to shrink rather than stretch....:eek:

By dampening the head band area with warm water I can always stretch it out again.
Additionally, there's a position I wear it on my head where it's tighter (with the brim slightly down over my eyes) so I'm wearing the hat all day for the next few days occasionally slipping it into this tight position until it's uncomfortable and then placing it back in the normal wearing postion where it feels like the most comfortable hat I've ever worn.
In my mind this will help the hat bed in nicely.
I'm not to worried though because I think a lot of the tightens comes from the wet moulded shape, not the size, if that makes sense?
The leather is very stiff, like cardboard and it will soften with use, this will allow more room in the hat. Do you get me?

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Wasn't trying to prove you wrong dude, Just thought a link would would save people a trip to google :)I Have to admit, this hat reminds me of a lot of movie hats, from indiana Jones to out of Africa even though it doesn't actually look like any of them :D

No worries - thought it was funny ;)
You're right about Indy's hat being cool, BTW - but how the heck did it stay on?
I'm a Tilley man myself.

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
that looks fantastic i feel inspiration and a project coming on.... now if i can get my skill level up i may be able to make something i'll want to wear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE