My first knife - memory's revisited :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
As the post says - my first knife.

I was chatting with MOT about this and that and HillBill's postings on classic knives spured a discussion on knives. I recalled my first knife so I did a quick google search to find a picture. It's long since gone, but I recalled it with such affection.
Hey presto. Picture found. But what's this, its listed as still for sale? So I bought it :)

I was a ten or eleven year old with a desire to own a knife. So while on holiday looking round a Chandlers shop on a harbour I looked longingly in a glass case of knives.
Mum said no, but dad said yes :)
It was my pride and joy for a while and was used for killing and destroying most plants, bits of wood, etc in the garden.

bfc4a386a3112ed0d0f9850d3a3f7db6_zps216fff4a.jpg

Well here it is. I'm not sure I ever felt like Rambo, but the needles and thread in the hollow handle made me feel like I could be.

Looking at it now. Well, how I never lost fingers I have no idea. This is the exact same knife and even looks like its old stock, so is probably not that much younger than my one. The blade grind is shocking. The zero tang depth (the blades just bolted to the bottom of the hollow handle) worries me no end. The kit in its shockingly poor, and the vinyl sheath is nasty. The sharpening stone is very course and small. But oh, how I loved it. It's a nostalgia trip and I would in no way use this knife now. But as a blast from the past its wonderful to see it again.

Any comments would be welcome, or better yet. Google your first knife and share a pic. Did I just have bad taste as a youngster or have we all had a desire to be Rambo :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
They still sell those at my local army shop. I tried to sharpen one once for a friend. And it was pretty much unsharpenable. My first knife was a little folder like the one I posted this week.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
They still sell those at my local army shop. I tried to sharpen one once for a friend. And it was pretty much unsharpenable. My first knife was a little folder like the one I posted this week.

Hi Niels, yeh, it's truly terrible :)

With hindsight a decent SAK would have been a much better buy. But from this baptism, I've learned a bit more of what does and does not work. So for that I have to thank it.

PS the scales you did for that knife are great :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow, never thought I'd see one of those again. You're right they were terrible, though nice to have as a warning to yourself and for the collection. They were advertised in Mr. Fenna's old writting home I think S.W.A.T. back in the late 80's early 90's. Fot about a £10 I think. How much did you pay for this one? Good find though and good thread. I'm off to ruminate on my first knife before posting about it.
GB.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I remember those knives, I never owned one though.

My first knives were generic 'bought from the newsagents' penknives. My first 'real' knife was one of these...

GpUGzPj.jpg

Puma 265

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I remember those knives, I never owned one though.

My first knives were generic 'bought from the newsagents' penknives. My first 'real' knife was one of these...

GpUGzPj.jpg

Puma 265
Unbelievably similar to the Kershaw Blue Mountain but without the sheepsfoot blade.
D235E6B9-2C6B-426B-A2D6-07A94FA6CF89-203-000000140877B877_zps20cbeb12.jpg

Golb

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2010
Belgium
www.golb.be
My first knife: a victorinox spartan (the one on top)

victorinoxspartan.jpg

after a service of 20 years, replaced by the newer version of the victorinox (8 years ago).

I owned a number of other knives, but as EDC I like this one the most. It was an incredible good choice from my parents to give me a Spartan when I actually asked Santa the knife in the first post. I was a bit disapointed, until i found out MacGuyver owned the same knife!

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Wow, never thought I'd see one of those again. You're right they were terrible, though nice to have as a warning to yourself and for the collection. They were advertised in Mr. Fenna's old writting home I think S.W.A.T. back in the late 80's early 90's. Fot about a £10 I think. How much did you pay for this one? Good find though and good thread. I'm off to ruminate on my first knife before posting about it.
GB.

It was £14 total with post. Total waste of money as a knife, but as a reminder of my youth, just about with it :)

To the other posts. You sensible people. If I'd had a decent lock knife or a SAK I'd probably still have it now and it would have been much more practical. But I learned and carried a SAK for many many years after. But looking back, it thought me a lot.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My first ever knife was just like an issue folding clasp knife but with Bakerlite handle in black.
This was followed by an antler handled sheath knife my Dad bought me when I was around 10 yrs.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mine was a twin bladed folding knife - short spearpoint at one end longer clip point at the other and awful plastic or celluloid scales in between. The kind of thing that was sold off cards of about 20, the knives being held to the card with loops of elastic - pretty much every corner shop would have them in my youth but mine was given to me by an uncle who was a Scout Master ... I was about 8 years old.
I have never been without a knife since!

Biker

The image below looks very similar to the first big sheath knife I bought.

large-old-bowie-knife-%5B2%5D-1118-p.jpg

Bought it second hand in a shop on the road from Nottingham town centre to Bulwell in 1983. Cost me £9 which would be about £12.50 in today's money. :lmao:. It even had Original Bowie knife stamped into the blade which is obviously true given the heritage. Anyway it was love at first site and I hadn't even seen Rambo back then so I wasn't influenced in any way shape or form to buy it. The sheath was a nasty wrap around piece of leather made from a pair of old boot by the looks of things, long since binned. I still have the knife and reprofiled it back in the late 80's and I still like it, nice and sharp it is too.

Here's a photo I had of it when I posted a thread about coverting the knife to use as a drawknife using my Bowie.

0005.jpg

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
The image below looks very similar to the first big sheath knife I bought.

large-old-bowie-knife-%5B2%5D-1118-p.jpg

Bought it second hand in a shop on the road from Nottingham town centre to Bulwell in 1983. Cost me £9 which would be about £12.50 in today's money. :lmao:. It even had Original Bowie knife stamped into the blade which is obviously true given the heritage. Anyway it was love at first site and I hadn't even seen Rambo back then so I wasn't influenced in any way shape or form to buy it. The sheath was a nasty wrap around piece of leather made from a pair of old boot by the looks of things, long since binned. I still have the knife and reprofiled it back in the late 80's and I still like it, nice and sharp it is too.

Here's a photo I had of it when I posted a thread about coverting the knife to use as a drawknife using my Bowie.

0005.jpg

Very nice. You defiantly bought far better quality than I did :)

Mine was a twin bladed folding knife - short spearpoint at one end longer clip point at the other and awful plastic or celluloid scales in between. The kind of thing that was sold off cards of about 20, the knives being held to the card with loops of elastic - pretty much every corner shop would have them in my youth but mine was given to me by an uncle who was a Scout Master ... I was about 8 years old.
I have never been without a knife since!

Agreed, not been without a knife since. But my standards have improved a bit :) , most of the time

Fatbob

Nomad
Jun 29, 2012
Godmanchester
I had that exact same Rambo knife, used it for everything a twelve year old used to do, fishing, spear making, n yep killing plants etc. I have to agree with hindsight they are bloody awful, but back then it was the best knife ever!

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I had that exact same Rambo knife, used it for everything a twelve year old used to do, fishing, spear making, n yep killing plants etc. I have to agree with hindsight they are bloody awful, but back then it was the best knife ever!

Kindred spirit :)

Through rosé tinted glasses you can look back on it and forgive it. But now I have one in hand again its amazing how very poor it was.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
my first knife was a wee pen knife shaped like a silver fish i couldnt find an image to how i remember it. My dad gave it to me when i was 5 it was blunt and stayed in my tackle box mostly used for opening splitshot back in the days when they were lead...i got the above rambo survival knife when i was 10 on holiday in spain loved it sadly i threw it at a tree (as you did when you were young) and the handle fell off :-D

i moved onto SAK and have had a few models the ranger is the one i have now which replaced my 20 year old hunter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE