My first bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I know this thread may be better off in the 'edged tools' section but I didn't want to post there due to the embarrassingly uncool, unknowing nature of my message, but...

I've just purchased my first knife!!!!

I went for the obvious but after lots of reading it seemed an obvious place to start:

Mora Bushcraft Training Knife - High Carbon Clipper

It only cost £12 inclusive of post and packing. I bought it from Greenman Bushcraft. Seemed pretty straightforward.

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. Can't wait for it to turn up. I'll have to sort out a sharpening regime. I might use the cheap sharpening kit for under a fiver thread from the 'edged tool' forums.

Wahey! Is this a good purchase in the opinion of others and what was the first knife you bought?

EddBamber

Tenderfoot
I got mine from the same place as you!! Mines worked out great so far, I batoned through logs with it too! I've been sharpening it with an ancient oil stone my dad lent to me :D IMO its great the handle gets a little wierd after long use, it was also my first fixed blade

Good knife i still take mine out in preferance of some of my more expensive knives if i get the urge, and i recommend them to any of my mates when they want to start getting kit.
Good store too.
i bought a lot of my starting kit from there always friendly service always fast and the mystery boxes are a great way of getting a kit fix and suprise at the same time :) (usual disclaimer no connection with them apart from them getting too much of my wages)

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
It arrived today. Nice olive green handle. Sharp. I might get a leather sheaf to replace the plastic one, just because it looks and feels nicer. I've seen a guy who makes them called Kepis Leather. Looks nice. Anyone else recommend a manufacturer.

I'll have to get some practise in with the sharpening. Will use the five pound sharpening post as a guide. God, I love this stuff.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The moras are good as a first knife, and to get to grips with, but after a while I found the 2mm thickness a bit disconcerting.
Why? Its a knife, designed to cut, which it does very efficiently.
If you need a knife to do anything other than cut, your using the wrong tool for the job.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
If you need a knife to do anything other than cut, your using the wrong tool for the job.

I keep harping on that point to my fellow Canadians when they go on and on about battoning as a regular way to chop wood. It is only for emergencies but I have done it with a Mora.

I prefer the KJ Eriksson models because they have longer tangs. I even bought a new Frosts of Sweden red wood handle Mora before I noticed that you can no longer see the end of the rat tail tang. I'll be you two maple leafs (the leaves, not the silver coins ;) ) that they went with a shorter tang.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I keep harping on that point to my fellow Canadians when they go on and on about battoning as a regular way to chop wood. It is only for emergencies but I have done it with a Mora

You are absolutely correct, but I have seen idiots battoning over here, when the weather is dry an sunny and they had to sort through lots of dry deadwood to find something to batton!!!
I sometimes think its the reason that the inexperienced 'woodsman' buy knives that are 4 or 5mm thick. There is no need to carry all that spare steel.

Last edited:

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Nooooooo!!!!!!

My Mora Bushcraft Training Knife - High Carbon Clipper has started to tarnish. How can this be? Advice please.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
It shows your using it. The patina will prevent it from rusting. wash it and wipe it lightly with a drop of oil when your not going use it for a while.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Great first time knife! Holds a good edge and does most tasks with ease.I made a firesteel and torch rig for mine using an old belt and i still like and use it.

Dazcon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE