My Daniel Boone Challenge.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Cheers Steve, any luck tracking the lantern down?

No mate, lots of old links and stuff, I actually think the company has now moved into LED lights lol

Where did you do the challenge?? Iv gotta get myself a place to go so I can do things like this!!

And how was the bedroll? Iv been looking at these for a while but not taken the plunge yet!! Are they warm enough?

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
No mate, lots of old links and stuff, I actually think the company has now moved into LED lights lol

Where did you do the challenge?? Iv gotta get myself a place to go so I can do things like this!!up

And how was the bedroll? Iv been looking at these for a while but not taken the plunge yet!! Are they warm enough?

Thats a pity, still ilk keep me eye out for them. The bed roll is great for what it is, I certainly warm enough for the conditions. Around 6c at night. But it is heavy and bulky compared to say a 3 season modern sleeping bag. But that'd not the point I guess, certainly worth a tenner :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Nice account, enjoyed that and good on you sir, i really must get off my bum and have a go, no excuses for me other than, i think i get out quite enough!

But been ages since, alone and with a bit of a challenge, i am going to take my dog though!

Thanks for posting.

Ivan...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Looks like a great trip and definitely a good report. Especially the food. But I have a question; I keep looking at the picture of the "gumbo" and don't see the single ingredient that makes it gunbo. Okra (the African name for okra is gumbo, hence the name of the dish)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fair point, I just meant a stew with rice in it really. Jambalaya better ;)?

LOL. Depends on what you mean by "better" I suppose. Probably more accurate; but I'd be hard pressed to decide which one is "better" in a menu choice. They're both fantastic!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
nice one looks relaxing, fancy doing this too once i find somewhere suitable

Thanks, yeah it was pretty chilled out :cool:

Really nice write up!

The blow by blow style is my favourite; really helps me live through it :)

Thanks for taking the time :)

Cheers, glad you enjoyed it!

Nice account, enjoyed that and good on you sir, i really must get off my bum and have a go, no excuses for me other than, i think i get out quite enough!

But been ages since, alone and with a bit of a challenge, i am going to take my dog though!

Thanks for posting.

Ivan...

Cheers mate, yeah better with company even the four legged kind.

Nice, honest write-up, well done for getting out there and doing it.

Might also be up for a similar trip.

Makes you realise could have been a very different experience with no back up fire lighting option or water stash!

Yeah id of been in trouble if i hadnt had my lighter, could of filtered and boiled various scummy puddles for water. But the lure of nice crystal clear 5l bottle of mineral water was too much for me :).

Looks like a cracking couple of nights, good stuff

Cheers!

Nice write up, what lantern is that though?

Thanks, its made by eltrex and i think its called a firefly 2 in 1. Bought it a few years back...

Cracking report, CH. I can feel a weekend at the frontier coming up.

Cheers!

Elen Sentier

Been meanng to read this for days - made it! Thanks for a grand write-up and pix ... and several tips for beginners like me :). I must learn to make those cooking contraptions !!! Looks like you had a really good time in a lovely place, love those forest roads, we had them in a wood I used all the time as a teenager, reminds me :)

Elen Sentier

Nice, honest write-up, well done for getting out there and doing it.

Might also be up for a similar trip.

Makes you realise could have been a very different experience with no back up fire lighting option or water stash!

Copper, had you thought of collecting the rainwater in the tarp? I always get a stash after some rain, even if it only seems a little. I don't always use it but I could with the Billbank Bag and the fire. Would definitely have been in line with your challenge :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE