My arrowheads work!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Well I'm chuffed, I sent some flint arrowheads to a buddy in canada and he made a handful of primitive arrows and a self bow and went out and killed himself a deer. So I can say that my heads have "made meat" very cool indeed.

Last edited:

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
The only thing more satisfying would be doing it myself. I'll give it a go when I get back to Canada, it's going to be a steep learning curve though as I've never made a self bow. And yes it is a shame there is no bowhunting here, to think that a country with such a rich archery heritage would go down that road is strange in my mind.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lets see some some photos :)
So far as bow hunting goes I shoot quite a bit, not as much as i should but I would be no where near confident enough to hunt with a bow. Takes some dedication and skill to be able to judge distance and put that arrow where it needs to go. Not to mention getting within 10 or 15 yards of the quarry. Hats off to those who do and make a clean kill. This does not include the guys strapped to a tree with bated traps wheel bows, sights, stabilisers, release aids.
Much prefer a rifle my self ;)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Always struck me as a bit odd that you're allowed to hunt with air rifles and slingshots that produce a reasonably meagre 12 ft/lb but not allowed to hunt with crossbows and longbows that can produce even more than 140 ft/lb......

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Always struck me as a bit odd that you're allowed to hunt with air rifles and slingshots that produce a reasonably meagre 12 ft/lb but not allowed to hunt with crossbows and longbows that can produce even more than 140 ft/lb......

Absolutely nailed it there mate, and as usual, unwashed yobs wearing hoodies and shooting(let me re-phrase)wounding cats, dogs and other wildlife with crossbows and longbows that their Brother or Dad made them out of a piece of 2X1 from B&Q, have totally ruined it for trained and skilled archers who may wish to take game legitimately and humanely with a bow. As far as i remember bow hunting was banned sometime in the 80's with the introduction of The Wildlife and Countryside act, though don't quote me on that.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I've bow hunted a LOT with my trusty longbow and have killed a lot of big game animals. It must the the biggest adrenaline rush in the world to get close to an animal and have it all come together, I really feel bad for the folks here who want to try it and can't. Even if small game hunting was allowed it would be great fun. The rabbits around here are just screaming to get shot and put into the stew pot.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
So far as bow hunting goes I shoot quite a bit, not as much as i should but I would be no where near confident enough to hunt with a bow. Takes some dedication and skill to be able to judge distance and put that arrow where it needs to go. Not to mention getting within 10 or 15 yards of the quarry. Hats off to those who do and make a clean kill. This does not include the guys strapped to a tree with bated traps wheel bows, sights, stabilisers, release aids.

Here here. Where I used to shoot we did a roaming stalk with a few animal shaped targets including a full sized boar.

We weren't shooting from quite that close but it was not easy. I would hit maybe 2/5. Certainly not killing shots.

All the best
Andy

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

There is actually little that it is deemed acceptable to use and air rifle on. Guidance on the BASC site.

Anything over a rabbit or the wrong type of bird and expect trouble!

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
There is actually little that it is deemed acceptable to use and air rifle on. Guidance on the BASC site.

Anything over a rabbit or the wrong type of bird and expect trouble!

Well indeed, but it seems daft that I'm not allowed to take rabbits with my pistol crossbow when it is more powerful than any air rifle, and more than adequately accurate for close range work.

I think the rules have more to do with governmental squeamishness than anything approaching good sense.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I'm not fond of compound bows either; it just isn't proper archery to me. Don't know of anywhere "traps" are legal for game animals. Neither is "baiting.) But what do you have against tree stands? A stand, be it a tree stand or a ground hide, is the way most big game is hunted regardless of what the weapon is and has been for centuries (at least it has been for lone hunters hunting for meat)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I'm not fond of compound bows either; it just isn't proper archery to me. Don't know of anywhere "traps" are legal for game animals. Neither is "baiting.) But what do you have against tree stands? A stand, be it a tree stand or a ground hide, is the way most big game is hunted regardless of what the weapon is and has been for centuries (at least it has been for lone hunters hunting for meat)

It was baiting for hogs that I saw a few videos for mate. Was shooting fish in a barrel from a few yards with a laser bow.
Basically a load of bait barrels wait for them to come in an slot em within a few yards.
Had no idea baiting for game was illegal over there and i will try and find the links.
Being a sham-less bow and bowyer nut I can see that these weapons are more than capable of doing the deed asked of them providing the archer has the skill, I certainly dont. Then aside from that there is the argument that anything other than a special forces sniper with a 50cal rifle, deplete uranium rounds range finder and scope is "ethical" in comparison to any other method.

Either way lets seem them arrow heads!

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
From a hunter gatherer point of view it makes much more sense to find a good spot to wait and let the game come to you. It conserves energy and is the most effective way of getting close to game, so don't knock tree stands too soon. I've successfully stalked wild boar and waterbuffalo in Australia but try as I might I only rarely stalk deer close enough to get a shot off they are the ultimate quarry if you want to test your skills. So I use tree stands, ground blinds made of natural materials, gillie suits and my secret weapon....the pit blind, I've also simply sat on a hill side in an appropriate spot and waited. Tree stands are just a modern convenience an alternative to climbing a tree and lashing a platform together. I've lashed platforms for bear hunting but only because I was in an area where cutting trees was ok.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It was baiting for hogs that I saw a few videos for mate. Was shooting fish in a barrel from a few yards with a laser bow.
Basically a load of bait barrels wait for them to come in an slot em within a few yards.
Had no idea baiting for game was illegal over there and i will try and find the links.
Being a sham-less bow and bowyer nut I can see that these weapons are more than capable of doing the deed asked of them providing the archer has the skill, I certainly dont. Then aside from that there is the argument that anything other than a special forces sniper with a 50cal rifle, deplete uranium rounds range finder and scope is "ethical" in comparison to any other method.

Either way lets seem them arrow heads!

Thanks. That's all right, you don't need to find the links. You've already explained enough. As I said, baiting "game" animals is illegal. Hogs aren't game. They're an invasive species here and are considerred the property of the landowner in most states so most game laws don't apply.

Last edited:

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
As far as I can work out (or google), the anti-bow laws are to do with fears that their silence would allow poachers an easy time of it (because you can't moderate a rifle can you?!) and an urban legend about the bow-hunting expert forgetting which day he was supposed to give consultation to folks drawing up the rules.

Probably a load of nonsense, but a good story eh?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE