Mushroom ID please :) (a bit pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey all :)

Few below to identify, i have had a google but they kinda match quite few :eek: I am trying honest ;)

Plus some pics are allways nice :D

DSCN0290.jpg

DSCN0288.jpg

DSCN0278.jpg

DSCN0264.jpg

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I think the first is an immature fly agaric (amanita muscaria), but im no expert. I have no clue about the bracket funghi.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
If any shroom was to look like something from a cartoon then its that first pic!!!
I would go with1 fly agaric 2giant polypore 3 birch polypore?
All guesses and prob wrong!
D

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Some nice photos there dwardo. I researched the giant polypore as I found something similar on Sunday. The giant polypore will turn black on the underside once it has been touched, whether that will help you narrow your search or not. What was the underside of the 2nd fungi like?
Never seen anything like the 3rd fungus growing on a tree before.
Good luck

xylaria

If any shroom was to look like something from a cartoon then its that first pic!!!
I would go with1 fly agaric 2giant polypore 3 birch polypore?
All guesses and prob wrong!
D

Like what this guy says.

1 fly agaric, poisonous but not deadly, it can be eaten supposedly by boiling 3 times in salt water. I am not in a hurry to try it. 2 Meripilus gigantius,(i'm not 100% sure) supposedly edible I have tried it boiled for 1/2 hour and it is still rubbery and loses taste. But it often gets infected with worms and trout love it in that state. 3 birch polypore has loads of uses, but food isn't one of them.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry didnt get a look at the underside but ill be back there at the weekend. I will also give the Huge polyore lookin one a little prod :eek: and see what happens thanks all :)

The first does seem to be fly agaric :)

Also a pretty scary quotes from tests on people.

"The first response occurred in 1 to 2 hours beginning with twitching and trembling. Consciousness was maintained and during this induction phase the subjects were euphoric and contented. Then the visions came on"

"In large quantities more severe hallucinations and rages occurred. The initial excitation could become more and more severe leading to attacks of raving madness. In some cases motor excitation was dominant."

:eek:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Like what this guy says.

1 fly agaric, poisonous but not deadly, it can be eaten supposedly by boiling 3 times in salt water. I am not in a hurry to try it. 2 Meripilus gigantius,(i'm not 100% sure) supposedly edible I have tried it boiled for 1/2 hour and it is still rubbery and loses taste. But it often gets infected with worms and trout love it in that state. 3 birch polypore has loads of uses, but food isn't one of them.

Thanks for that :)

I have never seen a birch Polypore that big but i guess i have only just started looking.

Thanks all

xylaria

Birch polypore:
pell off skin and use as plaster, it is antisepitic and stops bleeding.
Dry and use as tinder or ember extender.
Dry squashed flat for razor strop.
Dry whole then cut away stipe, put ember in gap and leave to smolder as insect repelant.
Stew fresh and gargle to cure sore throut.
Inhale stewed vapour to cure cold and sinus infections
and you can make a dye out it as well.

Rather useful fungi really

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
didnt get a look at the underside but ill be back there at the weekend. I will also give the Huge polyore lookin one a little prod :eek: and see what happens thanks all :)

The first does seem to be fly agaric :)

Also a pretty scary quotes from tests on people.

"The first response occurred in 1 to 2 hours beginning with twitching and trembling. Consciousness was maintained and during this induction phase the subjects were euphoric and contented. Then the visions came on"

"In large quantities more severe hallucinations and rages occurred. The initial excitation could become more and more severe leading to attacks of raving madness. In some cases motor excitation was dominant."

:eek:

And that is when they put armour on them, give them an axe or sword, or both and send them into battle to rape and pillage. They're called Vikings!

EdS

And that is when they put armour on them, give them an axe or sword, or both and send them into battle to rape and pillage. They're called Vikings!

No thats when the take their armour off and charge head long into the enemy - them's Beserkers.

"Tested" fly agaric a few times - its "intresting" in its range of effect - it was partly for a friends pharmocoly studies. No I'm no going to say how and what amounts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE