Mors Kochanski winter skills course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I'm off on Mors Kochanski's Extended Winter Wilderness Living Skills/Survival Course Feb. 20-26, 2005 Alberta Canada.

When I booked Lori told me that every one booked on the course so far is british.

so any of you guys going?? Anyone here live in Aberta Canada??

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Which bank did you rob Stuart?

Surely you never blagged that course as well?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
He has Wayne although a friend of mine did this years course and said Mors made a guest appearance!!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
No I had to pay for this one (I really really cant afford it but thats not going to stop me going :roll: )

Mors will be the instructor for this course along with randy

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well I envy you mate (even if you had to pay) - have a good one, you'll certainly learn a lot.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Woah! Nice one stuart, have a good one. To say im jealous would be an understatement ;)

:biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Have a nice trip when the time comes. God, that's very soon... :shock: :wave:

There's a link here to those who wish to read more. :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Stuart said:
I'm off on Mors Kochanski's Extended Winter Wilderness Living Skills/Survival Course

Spawny get! Have a great time - the guy is a legend and we'd love to know what you thought of the course when it's done.

That's going to be some course, and you'll have lots of memories for years to come!
It can easily be quite warm (chinook) or probably beyond what most people would consider cold - or both within days.
How much cold weather experience do you have - and can you get stuff like leather outer mitts in Britain? I'd tend to think that something along the lines of felt pac boots would also be in order - those are easily available over here. It takes while to acclimatize to real cold if it happens to come while while you are on the course - and those items will make life a lot easier. Otherwise you'll probably have most of what is required - just add a few extra layers and a bigger jacket to cover them all.
Let me know if I can be of any help.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I think I have a source for leather chopper mits, but the pack boots and thick wool trousers are proving troublesome to find here.

I'm have size 9 feet but mor's recommends that I find boots which I can wear 4+ pairs of thick wool socks inside.

I have been warned to expect temperatures between -30 and -40 :shock: , as my avatar suggests I have absolutely no real (below -15) cold weather experience at all.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Stuart said:
I think I have a source for leather chopper mits, but the pack boots and thick wool trousers are proving troublesome to find here.

I'm have size 9 feet but mor's recommends that I find boots which I can wear 4+ pairs of thick wool socks inside.

I have been warned to expect temperatures between -30 and -40 :shock: , as my avatar suggests I have absolutely no real (below -15) cold weather experience at all.

Hi Stuart,
don't know if you have already that link, but that company makes great winter stuff, here is a link to the mittens.

http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/bcstore/clothing/mitts/index.html

here comes a link to great boots to have:

http://www.mukluks.com/arctic.shtml

cheers
Abbe

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Tell you what Stuart, due to all the extra natural insulation that I carry I'm far better suited so don't mind taking your place, I'm only thinking of you in this you know ;-)

We don't have a lot of time if you don't want to go to a really miserable experience or looking like a refugee from an Inuit tourist store.
I have pretty much new wool pants (linesman about as thick as they come) in size 40 waist, with legs that can be resewn to go to 34/36. They've been washed in hot water and have felted up nicely. You'll be needing to get things set up over there, with pants altered to fit WHEN YOU"RE WEARING ALL THE UNDERWEAR THAT GOES UNDER AND TUCKS IN.
A great alternative is to look for old heavy wool suit pants in thrift stores. I just wear heavy duty poly/cotton) workpants with lots of underwear. They're cheap, heavy duty, spark resistant and dry fast.
I haven't looked for leather outer mitts in a while but I should be able to come up with some. They're huge and tough - the 3-4 pairs that are suggested refer to the inner liners/gloves. The leather just keeps the wind and moisture out - but trust me the wind blows in Alberta!
Boots are pretty vital. The best route is a pac style with the new style liners that dry faster - with an extra set of liners. High are best with sewn tongue to prevent snow getting in. Remember that they have to fit over pants and underwear on calf.
Email me if you want me to send you the pants and go looking for mitts.
My boy works in Ft McMurrey which is a bit further north - but he's in camp and working long shifts.
I think the main ideas are clothing that doesn't let snow in, and that's easy to dry out. It's pretty darned dry there, but any moisture will freeze you. It could be 0 degrees with a chinook - but then it could well be -50 before adding on windchill. Pretty extreme place!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE