More prepare for problems - link

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
One thing to consider about 'hoarding' food, is that, in a time of food price rises, you proetct yourself against those rises for a while, and you ought to be ahead of the curve, rather than behind it (But the cost of freezing it all, and keeping it frozen, and the attendant risks of an interruption to the power supply could be more than your saving). Best to develop a taste for tinned peaches and stagg chilli.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
I guess anyone with a serious supply won't want to be exposed in the National media.
(I'd also expect that they would have a diesel genny to keep the freezer running.)
The noise of a generator would give them away in an urban environment
A couple of shotguns wouldn't keep a mob out if they really wanted your resources ( witness the scenes
in our inner cities this year, I'd imagine you'd get burned out pretty toot sweet)

You'd require to be a bit more remotely housed with enough people to keep things secure (needing more resources)
When the mountain house & weetabix run out what will they do?
Can't see how many of these urbanites will have the knowledge to farm or resources to keep warm in the UK climate
Without serious cash & a lot of time learning a huge range of skills I think that survival would not be an option for most of us.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
We try and keep the freezer stocked, but not from a survival slant, just because it makes sense to keep it full while you have the money for it.

As others have said, the article is utter tripe.

watatoad

Banned
Nov 27, 2011
Suffolk England
On the more serious side some of you may be interested in a copy of a book first published in 1861 for the middle class Victorian housewife:

Mrs Beetons Cookery and Household Management

It was the Victorian wife's bible and the older versions are the best, you can learn an lot of very useful information from this book. If you can't find a secondhand old version there is a facsimile:

http://www.equinoxpub.com/equinox/books/showbook.asp?bkid=304

Don't buy any of the abridged versions you will loose too much information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
i personaly always stock up my food for winter mainly tinned food beans soup freez bred and milk etc. i just buy when there on offer. After last year im glad i do because within hours of the snow falling all my local shops were near empty cus of panic buyers luckaly the snow only caused problems for week or so amagine if it hung around for a month.
Cheers

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It has got to be a wind up, There are two boxes with what appears to say bollinger next to wine rack between the grapefruit juice and the apple juice. There aren't even muddy spuds, but maybe the sort that drinks bolly doesn't like to get ones fingernails dirty.

England Ram

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2011
Derby
On a food storage slant that got me interested in the whole survival and bushcraft thing, it is ossible to have a reasonable store, 3-12 months without being bonkers. figuring out the basics you eat in a week, and slowly doubling up until you have a rolling x weeks amount, then supliment it with the niceties etc. Buying smart will get you food that can last over the year and storage spacemay be a wall in your garage.
Water on the other hand is one dificult thing if you have no filter system or nearby source. Just a weeks worth of water for a family of 5 (like mine) is a LOT!
Im slanting more towards the individual 1 years worth of filter bottles and also a filter system for the brooks near my house.
I also know where the local rivers and lakes are.

Defense wise, I think it was Lofty who spoke about this in his book. Shops cleared first, allotments, gardens then known houses will be targeted when food is short.
You need to be prepared to do one of 3 things- 1) Hide and hope no one bothers you, 2) Share/loose what you ave to those more powerful/friends you have,
3) Be prepared to defend you and yours and what you have.

As others have said, the more of you there are the easier it is to defend, but you need more to survive.
In the UK, even if it got really bad guns will be in the minority, the tool of attack and defence in most parts of the world when society crumbles is the machette.

I know not too popular with bushcrafters here from what I gather, but a much more potent tool in that situation than an axe.

I know not too popular with bushcrafters here from what I gather, but a much more potent tool in that situation than an axe.

Not seen Snaga then ;)

Snaga+the+Beautiful.JPG

England Ram

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2011
Derby
Not seen Snaga then ;)

Snaga+the+Beautiful.JPG

LOL!!! NICE:)

But can it carve a spoon;-)

Prefer the origional Bolo type for those situaitons, one handed wielded with a very quick recoil movement, pretty much your modern day short sword.

The weight of an axe makes it too slow, especially double handed ones. However, looking at yours it would definately have the fear 'dont come any closer effect:)

LOL!!! NICE:)

The weight of an axe makes it too slow, especially double handed ones. However, looking at yours it would definately have the fear 'dont come any closer effect:)

Yes a double head battle axe is a Melee weapon and may be slow but to get a hit on its user you have to come in range and even a glancing blow is messy so yes it helps win the battle in the mind which is 90% most attacks in the Fantasy situation in this post will be by small groups of not sure and frightened people who have little or no idea how to fight
if more than one does your probably done for anyway ( the advantage of being attacked on your own by a group is you can hit any body they have to hit only you so only a certain number can get with in range as others will be in the way a few gaping axe wounds will soon slow their enthusiastic need for your food (see Druss the Legend and Interesting Times the Horde ;) )

if you do get into the Apocalypse MAD MAX situation your only hope is on your own (so bin the family etc ) and hide for the rest of your days or join up in as big a group as possible.

England Ram

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2011
Derby
if you do get into the Apocalypse MAD MAX situation your only hope is on your own (so bin the family etc ) and hide for the rest of your days or join up in as big a group as possible.

Agree about curbing the enthusiasm bit.

And the apocalypse situaiton is very close to the mark, difficult to bin the family though;-)
However, having a group of like minded people is definatley the way to go, the biggest negative is always the need for more resources but the big plus is the more hands to create and protect said resources.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE