More fun with Khukuris

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I've posted this elswhere before, so if you've seen it sorry for the redundancy :puppy_dog Apologies to anyone with a slow connection :)

This big tree fell down in the woods above my yard, and I had just got a 17" 23oz Himalayan Imports Foxy Folly Khukuri so I though I'd try it out

number1.jpg

number2.jpg

When I cut something big with a khukuri I go from the top down and then both sides in to kind of whittle away at it like a beaver till it has an hourglass shape

loghalf.jpg

Then, I know this sounds strange, but I cut under with my back to the log (but looking at it!)

log3.jpg

Till it's cut thru

log5.jpg

Starting on the trunk

tc4.jpg

Crown stacked to burn, you can see the main part of the tree is cut into sections in the background
tc2.jpg

More sections cut.
ff1a.jpg

Cutting near the root ball(tree came up from the roots) was hard on the knuckles due to the diameter of the trunk was near the length of the blade:
ff2.jpg

All done. I burned this whole thing at a party about a week ago and it was still smoking in th morning! I worked on this after work for about a week. Had maybe a couple, 3 hours in it total.

ff4.jpg

ff3.jpg

This is a pine. Decay had set in a little on the outer layer (see picture) but near the top of the tree and in the middle it was hard. However since this khukuri is actually much thinner than many of my others I felt I needed to test the tempering(I've bent a few in the past) So I used it on this extremely hard oak one night. No bending!
chopage2.jpg

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
laurens ch said:
Looks like you had fun. Just out of interest would you prefer would prefer a kukri over a axe like the sfa.By the looks of it you have a great place to practice bushcrafty stuff,Nice knife too

I have a GB Hunters Axe. I like the khukuri a little bit better but on, say an oak that size, I'd prefer the axe. Even though I can cut deeper and narrower with the khukuri on really wide stuff or super hard work the axe handle absorbs shock to the hands a little better.

I think a small axe chops better per weight than a small khukuri. I think on big stuff over 10" really an axe is better. However right there in the middle a khukuri is better. I use mine a lot for keeping trails clear here at my house and I do probably an equal amount of chopping and machete so the khuk is a better all around tool for me doing that stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE