Moot vs Mute?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
So is it moot or mute?

What am I talking about? Well I remember as a kid, making this error and my dad drilling it into me, it's probably one of the most common grammatical errors you could see on the internet and I hear is spoken too. I am referring to the phrase "moot point" ...or as it's commonly said in error ..."mute point".

It's such a common error, it hardly merits mentioning these days. The only reason I mention it, is because you might find the origin of the phrase interesting, it comes from an old legal term which means a debatable question, an equivocal issue open to argument and of no immediate relevance, so it the issue can be saved for a later time, when it can be decided at an assembly or meeting ....at a moot. As we all know too well, a moot is an old Anglo-Saxon word for a meeting.

So a moot point in bushcraft, could be a bushmoot point. Hehe - do you see what I did there? :D :D

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You mean wheter it's mute or moot? I agree it's mute ...I mean moot. :D :D

It's moot as to whether it's mute, but mute would not be moot, or if you were mute, it would be hard to raise a moot point. Not that mutes are moot, I would never suggest such a thing.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Let me add some confusion: what does "moot" mean?
My dictionary says that the English meaning is "object to debate, dispute, or uncertainty: Whether the temparature rise was mainly due to the greenhouse effect was a moot point"
while the North American meaning is: "having little or no practical relevance: The whole matter is becoming increasingly moot".

I only knew the English meaning, but all over de innerned I see the North American one. Is the English one still being used?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE