Monty Alford's Yu-Can Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
That was the idea I was going to try out. At the moment the stores are still selling post Christmas stock so will be a while before I can lay my hands on one for testing purposes.

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
I've built some of these, and while they're fiddly to make, they're well worth the effort.

The open-ended style works just like a Trangia, while the closed-up thingy is more like an old-fashioned gas burner.

Despite the further fiddliness to fill and light, I prefer the latter (more bang/buck).

Also, I use only thinned alcohol, reducing soot.

I actually used a complete setup with brazed fencing wire pot holder, can-bottom preheater pan, the works, during a blackout.

Heck, I still wanted my dinner, didn't I?

JIC, my Trangia rides in the back of my car.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Necro posting but I just bought a Tomshoo 750ml billy to use as the basis for this and most Australian tin cans are too small to use as the outer. Intention is to use it in my bumbag kit as my regular ski touring survival stove kit is bit too big and heavy for the Mountainsmith "Day"
The only times I've been in trouble here in white season are when I've not had a means of melting snow for rehydration, although a cuppa of some sort is always welcome while waiting for dawn. All I need to find is something relatively lightweight to use as the outer, the usual size of tin can is just a shade too small

Reactions: Chris

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
And a very quick update. I've made a small mistake getting the bigger billy. Rather than muck about trying to find a bigger tin can for the outer I am just going to find a cheap 600ml titanium cup and use the tincan size that is easily available. The bigger billy will be used elsewhere or as a spare cup.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
OK I'll try hard not to die in the next few weeks then.
I've actually made one of these before but I wasn't impressed with how it worked but that was simply because the tea-lights I used were substandard and condensation when attempting to melt snow kept snuffing out the flame and steel tins are heavier than titanium and aluminium. Titanium was an esoteric and unaffordable option for Monty when he was working out bush and wrote his book; I'm sure he would approve the use of the high technology option if he was alive to rewrite it.

• Haha

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
What book are the instructions coming from as Monty Alford's Wilderness Survival Guide has a completely different diagram for an even more interesting stove.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Links or pictures from the other book?
Still working on my updated Yu-Can. I am waiting on a Titanium cup via AliExpress and a couple of Titanium wire tent pegs from a mate
EDIT
I just ordered a copy of that other book. Might take a while to get here tho. postage from the USA and Canada is taking an age and a half at the moment

Last edited:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
53646299690_b0d1e15c7f_b.jpg

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
The book hasn't arrived yet so thanx for posting that.
I can see how that works and I can think of ways of enlarging that for group use with an A-10 can.
I had to google "Oodlik" but turned out to be familiar with the idea as I do make survival candles using small cat food sized tins and I can extrapolate that to larger tuna can sized with bigger wicks. I do have an 1100ml Titanium billy with lid that would fit under an A-10 can. Might be worth experimenting some time soon
I'll need to buy threaded rod, brackets and nuts tho

Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I really like the idea of having a water(snow) pot on top so you could put your mug with water on that or cook on that/boil water in the inner.
I have an alcohol stove idea which would work great with this I think.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Actual making time was minimal. about 20 minutes all up
Using the purchased cup saved time.
I made a decent sized survival candle with a home made extra large wick as I know from experience that the tea lights don't actually work all that well here in Oz. On the US form it's been mentioned that these extra large wicks do take some effort to get to light and one well known member there has suggested putting a dash of Metho into the tin first. So I am on the look-out for a very small [ 30ml] bottle to add that to this little cooker.
I need to make or find a small insulating pad for underneath in case it is going to be sitting directly on snow. There is plenty of space to fit the folding spoon and a variety of portion control sachets like coffee, tea,sugar and those seasoning sachets from 2-minute noodles plus any amount of other stuff. Matches and a ferro rod plus striker etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE