Money in Africa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Hi all,

My Africa plans are going nicely, I am now wondering how to take my cash.

I've opened an account with Nationwide who apparently do good rates on withdrawing from ATMs. Have also got one with Barclays who seem to have a good presence in Africa.

Couple of questions:

1) I am thinking of using currency cards like FairFX (good rates). Does anybody know if these are accepted?

2) Travellers cheques: something I've never used, they seem antiquated and chocked full of commission charges. Have I got the wrong impression?

Thanks!

Harry

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Where in Africa and for how long?

In my experience traveler's cheques are not worth the effort, cash and an ATM card every time.

:)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Travelling in India I always carried an old wallet with a few US dollars and an expired credit card in it. That way you've got something to hand over to a mugger, they won't look at the expiry date on the card in the rush. Money belt with US$ and a couple of ATM cards got me everything else I needed. Can't say what would happen in Africa - although Kenya is way ahead of the UK on payment technologies: http://www.safaricom.co.ke/index.php?id=745

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE