Moccasins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Been interested in making a pair for myself.

What kind of leather should i use?

Is there a guide to making them?

Thanks

Jim

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I used to have a pair - brought over from the states - the comfiest footwear I've ever worn.

The downside for me was that every wee stone underfoot was very noticeable. A mate of mine had sore feet with his at first until his feet learned to walk "unsupported" compared to modern shoes.

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Leon-1 wrote a tutorial years ago, and iirc Buckshot did something along those lines too.

I'll see what I can find.

Eric Methven makes shoes for reenactors, and mocassin, courrans (currans) and the like use much the same weight of leather. Hopefully he'll see this thread and comment :)

cheers,
M

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Well, maybe not if you buy top quality stuff, but y'know old couches have backs that are unworn :) and a bit of urban foraging is not a bad thing. Especially when you just want to try it out.

Tara Pringle, on Nativetech has basic instructions for several kinds of moccasins too.
http://www.nativetech.org/clothing/moccasin/mocmap.html

Got a leather couch from the skip today.

Will give the moccasins a go, if they wear out it's fine because theres loads of it. If i like them i should be able to make a good pair when i eventually get the proper leather for the job.

Thanks

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE