Moccasin newb.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Hey all,

I would like to make a pair of moccasins and I was wondering if anyone has a pattern that they would like to share, or they cold share experiences. Also I am a complete leather newb and am wondering what type of leather and how much. Any help would be be greatly apreciated. Incase it helps I am a U.S. 9 (actually 8-9 depending). Also I would like all leather an sinew or whatever else is used to secure the leather. (I am looking for the American indian style)

thank you all

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you want First Nation moccasins, you should be looking at braintan buckskin (elk if you can get it). These can be stitched together with artificial sinew (available from a number of people on ebay). There's a great tutorial on PaleoPlanet by Coogs, HERE . If you want to use leather, try and get veg tanned (sometimes called oak tanned) leather as it will allow the leather, once dampened, to stretch to fit the foot perfectly. The more common commercial leather is chrome tanned and is usually pre stretched so not suitable for making footwear. While you are over at PaleoPlanet, check out the section on leather and tanning pelts and hides. There's people on there regularly who make their own buckskin and will sell you enough to make a pair of Moccs. Also, if you join in on the forum there's experts there who can talk you through any problems you may encounter.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE