Millets 40% off heads up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Be careful.

I came very close to buying a Eurohike Down 500 sleeping bag a couple of days ago. At that time it was £59.99 with 25% off ie. £44.99.

The same bag is now listed at £119.99 which, with a 40% discount, would now cost £71.99.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I just looked at the snugpack after reading this link (I've currently got a webtex 3/4 size bergen but it's getting too small for camping with the kids as I need to carry some/most of their gear plus all the communal kit).

When I looked first time, I went through the usual questions...do I really need another pack?/will my wife kill me?/can I order it and hide it in the attic?/is having 15 rucksacks and considering ordering another overkill?

I'd added it to my basket but hadn't put in my details yet...

I closed the window and decided to have a think...I thought for 10 minutes and decided "£109 down to £36...of course I'm buying it!". Went back into the Millets site and it's now out of stock...CURSES!!!

The moral of the story is don't think to hard about bagging a bargain, someone else will get in there first.

I'll now be checking several times a day just to see if any new stock is released at the same price.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
yep i'm now feeling even smugger i got one as i nearly waited to have a think but went on impulse ...glad i did :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Rocket Pak rides high up so hang onto your receipts in case you don't get on with it. Okay if you're into wearing webbing clobber

Ffin72

Jul 21, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Yep on another thread just got a snugpak rocket pack for £36 delivered cant go wrong :)
(

Fair's fair, you and the other fellers got a bargain because I posted a heads up, and I wouldn't have done that had I not been at home sick and not getting paid. So £15 each should sort it, less if other members admit to buying one ;)

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Phil
will let you know when I receive release date :)
Had a bit of luck today in local Millets a pair of Berghaus walking shoes reduced from £59 to £20 got to till and they took another 40% off
A pair of shoes for £12 well chuffed

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I read somewhere recently that Blacks, Millets parent company had posted a massive trading decline/profits loss and that management were 'looking at ways' of 'streamlining' the company..I think they were the terms used, so possibly even more reductions if streamlining means branch closures?

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I decided not to go into our local Blacks yesterday, because I know that I can't resist temptation (Yes, I know its Blacks, not REI, but I'm sure I'd find something..).

Wicca - your dead right about the group as a whole http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/nov/25/blacks-leisure-profit-warning?newsfeed=true - if they can't get more cash, then their in real trouble. All retailers were hit by both the mild weather and the poor economy (my employer included), but I have to admit that Blacks have been here before. If you look on the page I linked to, there were profit warnings in 2006, 2007 & 2008, and that was before the recession! Our local Millets did not last past an end of lease, and the independent shop they bought about five years ago didn't last long as an outlet.

40% is basically close to giving stuff away at cost in the hope that people will buy something, just to pump up volume. I suspect they will close more stores, and possibly kill off Millets first. Frankly, they tend to do much the same stuff as the supermarkets (is Peter Storm an attractive brand?), and if you have both a Blacks and a Millets, which is more vulnerable? Blacks is 5% owned by TNF, who need Blacks to move their kit, but not Millets.

More bargains await, but its pretty sad to see such a formerly good shop in such a state.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE