Military kit ID help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Hiya Guys
Just a few bits I've got that I need some help on identifying, I could do with what they're called (Pattern if you can) and country of origin.

First off a couple of different canvas things (some kind of shelter parts/poncho I think)
4609295380_ca5740d51b.jpg

Here is a close up of one end
4609295400_1d097e0eb9.jpg

Second one (I know its from a different army as the fittings arn't compatable). Its really a regular diamond shape
4609309524_986df35d6d.jpg

Some diagrams as to how to join them together printed on the inside
4609309530_c61970374e.jpg

A small pack I've had since my 'mercenary' phase that I had at about 15, I used to thread a belt through the loops on the back.
I'd like to know what it is so I can get the correct straps to use this as a light pack
4609309516_eab131a3d0.jpg

And the back
4609309518_2db4948545.jpg

Finally a knapsack, what was it a carrier for and what date (ish)
4609309522_5d0914b776.jpg

Last edited:

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
The first one is a West German army shelter half - you button two together to make a two man tent (without groundsheet). Each man would have a shelter half in a pouch made from the same material, and another small pouch containing aluminium pole sections and pegs. The shelter half can also turn into a rain cape - put your hands/arms through the two slits and put the pouch that the shelter half came in over your head as the hood (it's probably best not to wear it in public).

They also used to make a version with different camouflage patterns on each side.

The second diamond shaped one may be a decendant of a Wehrmacht one - I seem to remember seeing photos of six of them being buttoned together to form a shelter. It may be early post war West German or Swiss.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
So, is the first shelter half for a ridge tent or a bell (like those Polish Lavvu)? and could somebody tell me how to pronounce "zeltbahn"
I think I've seen a picture of a shelter made from those Diamond sections somewhere in the last day or so...maybe on here ?
Thanks for the info on the 44 pack, I'll look out for some 44 Pat L straps
The writting on the knapsack shows up better in the photo then in the flesh

Does anyone know how 37 Pat L straps fasten onto the bottom of the large pack BTW

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Do you mean the 37 patt large pack?If so youll need the two utility straps as well as the l straps.Attach the wide part of the l straps to the wide tabs at the top of the pack, then thread the strap through the buckle of the utility strap, this strap then crosses over the front of the pack to be threaded through the buckle at the side of the wide tab.....

Thats how i do it anyway!Im sure theres instructions on that karkee website about assembly of 37 patt web gear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE