Midlands Winter '08 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Pending the usual alien abductions etc I'll be there, and despite my little altercation will be bringing at least one axe - so anyone not liking the site of blood has been duly warned :)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I dont think I have warm enough stuff, we'll have to see on that one.
Things are very up in the air about my MA at the moment. on top of the £6000 tuition fees, they told us its been decided that "all therapy students should experience being in therapy themselves" Psychotherapy starts at £40 an hour. A minimum of 1 hours therapy a week is needed for the entire duration of two years to qualify. Im terrible at maths but I don't need to work out the sum to know Im screwed. I wish they would have told me when I actually applied for the course not now. anyway, bottom line is, I might have lots of spare time in december because I might be doing nothing and saving for nothing.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Things are very up in the air about my MA at the moment. on top of the £6000 tuition fees, they told us its been decided that "all therapy students should experience being in therapy themselves" Psychotherapy starts at £40 an hour. A minimum of 1 hours therapy a week is needed for the entire duration of two years to qualify. Im terrible at maths but I don't need to work out the sum to know Im screwed. I wish they would have told me when I actually applied for the course not now. anyway, bottom line is, I might have lots of spare time in december because I might be doing nothing and saving for nothing.

Wow... That's a real bummer.

I'm surprised they can get away with that, have you run it past the Student's Union?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk

Thats absolutely disgusting Firecrest,like Wayland says take it up with the students union.

Bernie

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Wow... That's a real bummer.

I'm surprised they can get away with that, have you run it past the Student's Union?

Unfortunately the decision is beyond the college, its decided by the BAAT - The British Association of Art Therapists, a bunch of London based purple smock wearing chunky jewelry hippies who drink peppermint tea have glasses like Dame Edna define themselves by their star signs and address each other in deep husky tones as "Darling"

In other words, a complete shower of B*****ds

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Did I post a yay? I should be able to pop along for that one, I'll leave CC at home this time though! It's the weekend after my birthday, I'm 30 something or other, can't quite remember at the moment!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
4th time lucky I now have a mental map of the area:thinkerg: I might be able to find my hammock this time saying that it is a Mental map not a sane one:red:

Only problem is you keep making it difficult for yourself and keep pitching in a different spot each time Mike. :D

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
ooh, this sounds interesting. I'm not very bushcrafty but would be up for a saunter in the midlands. Any idea where it would be?

Here ya go mate, details below but there ain't much sauntering LOL

Location is Rough Close Campsite.

Price is £3.60 per person per night.

Family friendly - so your youngsters are welcome!

Can people please bring a bit of spare change rather than just notes - I have to use public transport to get to work during the week.

Each of the pocket campsites has a designated area for ground fires; to keep the site tidier and easier to use - outside of the designated areas contained fires can be used (raised half drums and trail stoves etc).
I believe that during drought that the site retains the privillege to ban ground/open/open (etc) fires for as long as they deem fit for the safety of both those on site and of the site itself - I really can't see this being a problem at the moment . The site, according to MAGIC, is a mix of Ancient and Semi-Natural and Ancient Replanted woodland – There is a SSSI which shares its borders with the S/E corner of the site - the MAGIC site is being worked on at the moment but I'll enable a link as soon as I can.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I'd love to come again but I might have a problem, I think tha weekend falls in the middle of a two week course my wife is doing away from home. I don't think she'll want to do her reuniting in the middle of the woods. I'll have to check the diary.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'd love to come again but I might have a problem, I think tha weekend falls in the middle of a two week course my wife is doing away from home. I don't think she'll want to do her reuniting in the middle of the woods. I'll have to check the diary.

Oh I don't know..... candles in the woods.... a roaring fire to sit by, you to cuddle up to........what more would she want? :D

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
I've only slept in a bivi under a tarp a couple of times (and that was in mid-summer) and my sleeping bag is a 2 - 3 season Vango (I would say more 2 than 3) so apart from the exceedingly obvious (it'll be cold, wear thicker clothes) are there any tips for camping in Winter? I particularly thinking about for over-night.

Cheers

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
JimN,

Loads of thin layers trap more body heat between the layers.

wear a layer system of clothing, say, a thermal base layer, then a t shirt, then a micro fleece then a normal fleece then a waterproof outer ie gortex or an ex forces smock.

either that or sleep closer to the fire.

I may be using a tarp and bivvy at the next meet so it will be a new experience for me as i usually take my tent along. We will be in the same boat !!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE