Middle of nowhere...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I was just out in the evening, rather than overnight. Being the summer solstice, it was still pretty light when I got back (around 10:30), so no. But I could have done later - it wasn't very cloudy.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Although having thought of it I could have checked where the sun was setting, which would have been somewhere northwest-ish.

Didn't see and druids or anything, but we did almost bump into a deer, which was nice.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I don't think that being lost would bother me that much, I actually quite like the adventure. I do however have trouble with relaxing enough to sleep outdoors when I am on my own.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Moff8 said:
I don't think that being lost would bother me that much, I actually quite like the adventure. I do however have trouble with relaxing enough to sleep outdoors when I am on my own.

I believe thats the problem of getting used to and to start trusting your enviornement.
A person who sleeps outside a great deal might feel claustrophobic being in a house. Likewise you are feeling a bit wirred in the beginning to sleep outside.
I have the same problem, there is such a racket in the forest, specially here where we have light 24 hours a day. The mossies are around your head (net) and make a noise like a chopper would be landing, the birds never stop singing. Sometimes I thought to scream shut up everybody, go to sleep. But then,,,,well....I adjust.

cheers
Abbe

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I think my problem is being a city boy. I am always wondering if somone will come along while I am asleep.

Also as Abbe says there is a lot of noise in the forest at night. I don't hear them behind my double glazing.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Think being "lost" is a state of mind so perhaps its posible for someone to get hoplesly lost say in london yet for someone who lives there the signs are everywhere . Whats different today is that within a few hours traveling time you can be in a place in which you have no experience .

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Moff8 said:
I think my problem is being a city boy. I am always wondering if somone will come along while I am asleep.

I share the same thoughts. It justs takes time before you get 'at ease' in the forrest. I even have it in daytime. But it disappears after a couple of days.

Bob

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
mark a. said:
I'm reading through the Kephart book (Camping and Woodcraft), and one thing that really struck me is that he and his ilk would happily head off into the wilds of nowhere, with not a soul or dwelling for hundreds of miles around, and not get (a) freaked out and (b) completely lost.

Now, my navigation skills are pretty pathetic (my wife is miles better than me) so for me a detailed OS map (and compass of course) is essential. I get a bit concerned if we're not exactly sure where we are (and probably only a mile out at the very most). And I live in Surrey, where it's probably fairly impossible to actually get properly lost. These guys will just make their own sketch maps, and use rickety old compasses, and somehow survive!

How do people cope? Presumably people like Abbe, plus our US and Canadian friends, do this all the time - is this normal business, or are you constantly on your guard to make sure you don't get lost? Are us British people doomed to evolve into complete reliance on sat-nav?
Though new to bushcraft I wild walk quite a bit, and always take map and compass, the main reason is to make sure I don’t wander on to land where the owner/ farmer will get upset. Other than that I concentrate on where I am, where I have been, and I make mental notes of what the place I am currently heading looks like, I also tend to stop and turn round every now and then so imprint in my head what the path looks like on the way back (even if I don’t plan to return that way, as you never know what the day will bring).

Being lost is more about “time” than really being LOST. Time binds us, as much as we try and avoid it we all think we have to be someplace for a certain time and we tend to build in the pressure of knowing exactly where we are, as people think
“If I get to that clearing for [insert time] then I can strike camp at dawn and make [insert next camp] by [insert some ridiculous time frame]” time pressure to be somewhere else X current location=LOST

I’ve trained myself to recognise differences, things like tree bark colour, shape, fence patterns, and skyline shapes. I memorise them then as I walk, it’s not like they change quickly. Looking around you all the time; is a good way to train my brain to remember. I think getting lost is a good habit to get into, it has taught me how to think on my feet. If Like me you are left handed, when you are lost with no markers to aim for you tend to walk in a big left handed circle, First of I got myself lost by accident, a few hours of walking in a huge circle I was found again, so the next time I was out I set off to try it see just how big a circle I’d make naturally without taking too many risk , I added a bit of right handed heading into my walk and see how checked far out I was, if you overshoot or undershoot you learn to add more righting or less.

Practice getting lost, choose a place where a few hours walking in any direction will bring you to a feature you can recognise, a road, a stream or a Pub :) soon you will learn to know how you walk, not only how fast but are you left or right footed. All the things that help you to remember the path you took. Did you rest your pack on a rock, if so look for scuff marks, or was the track muddy? Up hill, down hill? All these thing hint as to where you are in relation to where you should be (want to be)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE