Meths burning stoves – A users review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Today it rained and rained and rained, so I decided to do some indoor Bushcraft. Today’s project was to compare my meths burners to see which was most user friendly.

The 4 burners in the test are:
• Vargo Triad Ti
• Standard Trangia – taken from a 15 year old stove
• SA Trangia
• Tatonka

The first test was to see how long each unit took to “prime” after initial ignition. By “prime”, I mean to have a full circle of flame similar to a gas cooker.

For the second test I timed how long each burner stayed alight when filled to capacity (this meant that the fuel level was approx 1cm below the top of the “well” on the 3 traditional burners, and on the Triad a small pool formed just above the filling hole in the centre.), from initial ignition to complete flame out.

Next test was boiling 0.5l of water. The billy (a 12cm Zebra in my hobo stove) was put over the burner after it had “primed” and time recorded to a rolling boil. Between tests the billy and hobo stove were cooled in running tap water to make the test as fair as possible.

All tests were carried out in my kitchen, so as near to ideal conditions as possible i.e. no breeze and room temperature!

Results:
results.jpg

So, which is best… It all depends on what you are looking for…

The Vargo Triad is carried in my hobo stove for when a “real” fire is not possible. Its shortcomings can be forgiven because it is so light and small. But, it is not the sort of stove that I could cook a full meal on, purely because of its fast “flame out” time. It is, however, suited to a quick brew up – which is what it gets used for the most. The relatively slow “priming” can be speeded up by “spilling” some meths in the base of the stove and lighting it. This warms up the stove body and makes priming time much quicker – but this could be said for all of the burners in the test.

The SA Trangia is slow but dependable, with long burn times. It has the advantage that the pans can also be used over an open fire using the “D” rings and bail arm to their full potential.

The standard Trangia comes in 3 common sizes – 1, 2 or 4 person cook sets, with a variety of materials used to make the pans (I only have the aluminium and have never felt that I lacked anything).

The Tatonka has never been used “in anger”, but after looking at today’s results, it will definitely be going out to play in the woods next weekend for a real test!

DSCN2292.jpg

Simon

Gailainne

Life Member
Nice bit of testing, I did something similar a year or so back, in my case I found the Tatonka one was best suited for my needs, I've married it to a click stand, (others use the tatonka 3 legged stand and a windshield) and its proved its worth countless times since. Interesting about the Vargo, forum posts on it have been mostly dismissive, I might try one.

Cheers

Stephen

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
been tempted by the Vargo for a while but been put off by the mixed reviews.

How does it rate as a light brew up stove?

I found that in the still air of indoors it was very promising for that, however in the outdoors with some breeze it was a lot harder to sucessfully prime and did really need a priming pan (baked beans can lid in my case ) and the extra meths to get it going. Then, as it can't be sealed, to stop the smell of meths getting into everything it really needs a case or be kept seperate from your brew kit.

If you want to borrow mine for a month or 2 and make up your own mind before investing or not, PM me you address and I'll post it to you.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great review Simon, and backs up my own trials apart from the Tatonka as I don't own one, but I will pick one up this week.

I was shown a Vargo at the 06 moot by one of the mods, and eventually ended up with a couple, one on loan and one as a gift, they are a bugger to prime, not stable without platform support and have an uncontrolled burn time, not my favourite to be honest.

The SA 'Trangia' has always been a problem for me, sluggish (I'm being kind there) not hot and although ground insulation helps its still a crap burner :(

The Tatonka is up there with the pukka Trangia and I look forward to playing with one within the week, many thanks for the review :You_Rock_

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Yes

Sort of, the burner body and legs are separate items, I'm still waiting on the legs to arrive for mine.

DSCN2283.jpg

From left to right:-
  • Tatonka
  • Vargo
  • SA Trangia
  • Civvy trangia

Simon

Now im confused!! You said the Tatonka was the one with three legs, but the list says it is the first one on the left????????

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That description is definitely right. It shows the Tatonka burner on its own. A three legged pan support is available separately.

There's a couple of types of Vargo - one with attached legs and one just the burner on its own. The latter can be used in a crusader cooker.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I can only add that I bought the Tatonka from Lurch last week (great service!) and used it this weekend. It's just superb and for the sub-£15 cost, it's rude not to have one.

Stu,
The Tatonka is the one on the left, but it comes in three bits, all of which add up to the £15 price. There is the burner unit shown, the "body" which is just a stainless ring with slots in and then three stainless legs. British Reds review thread shows the whole unit in all its glory.

Mark.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If you place a small drop of meths into the SA burner onto the outer lip where there is a shallow groove running full circle around the burner it will "prime " a lot quicker.
I don't know if this is the correct procedure but it works for me,It's like a preheater ring.

i did a few burn tests a while back trying to get a slot in for my crusader cup cooker stand to save on Green gel
a Trangia burner fits exactly but is to tall so a replacment wire needs to be made wit ha coat hanger to give soem clearane i also had a Lidles coppy trangia the burner is very similer but les but larget holes and a bit cruder and a few designs of Pop can stoves i made i wasnt interested in long burn times i wanted a brew and a bit longer for a boil in the bag brew combined these where 1 and 2 green gel pouches respectivly

i used a Baby food spoon as a measure and found that the trangia style where slower than just chucking ht meths in teh bottom of the stand

the Pop can stoves where a disapontment untill i stopped putting them in the stand it acts as a massive heat sink so delaying pressure build up then these far out performed the Trangias etc

stove1.jpg

ATB

Duncan

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
been tempted by the Vargo for a while but been put off by the mixed reviews.

How does it rate as a light brew up stove?

I like it, but then I accept its limitations:-
  • It is vulnerable to breezes, so I only use it inside my hobo stove.
  • It has a short burn time, so I don't use it for cooking main meals on.
  • It has a longish prime time, so I use the stove body as a primer plate to pre heat it.
  • It doesn't seal, so can't carry fuel, but with the short burn time, it always burns off anyway.
  • Used with a Crusader mug, and a suitable windshield its great. It all fits inside the mug so saving space.

HTH

Simon

EDIT:

You can also turn the Triad over and use it as a platform to burn hexy blocks, my second favourite fuel!

Simon

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
could you tell us a bit more about the Tatonka? whats the secret to why its so much quicker to prime?

thanks
pete

My theory...

Trangia burners are made of thick walled brass and so take a lot to heat up. The body has to heat up fully before the meths will vaporise, so it takes longer to prime.

The Tatonka is made of quite thin stainless steel (but still substanstial), so heats up faster, allowing the meths to vaporise faster.

HTH

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE