Merino Wool Base Layer Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I have been searching for the last week or so for 100% Merino Wool base layers (for women)
There are many web sites selling them, but theyre really really expensive, unless I want a wool mix, which I dont.
I will be traveling and trecking all around Norway, so need something pretty toasty etc :)
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on where to get them from at a reasonable price, ie £20-£30 instead of the £50-£60 plus im finding now.
If thats how much they are then I suppose i'll have to pay it, but just wondered if anyone knew where to get them cheaper.

Thank you :)

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Plus one on the Trek Mates. My wife and I use them a lot.
She's a postie and swears by them especially the tops with the thumb hole that makes them cover the back of your hand.
We love 'em!

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I have Bamboo boxers which are every it as good and comfortable as the Icebreaker ones I used to use. They are longer lasting too.

Search the t'internet for BAM clothing. No connection, justa happy customer

ATB

KP

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just to say Ive had nothing but bad experience of the two bamboo base layers,D2B(orB2B) and a mountain wharehouse both were smelling after only half a days use while skiing, I then just used the current issue thermals and had a great time, no stinkyness!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Bamboo base layers are as soft and as warm as the equivalent weight wool. They don't perform as well when wet though.

An alternative to buying branded merino base layers would be to scour the charity shops for merino jumpers available on the High Street. They are a bit heavier in weight, but that might not be a bad thing in Norway, other than that they perform as well as your icebreakers etc. You might even find some icerbreaker or trekmates if you're lucky. I have found a couple of icebreaker tops for my other half over the last few months.

Bamboo base layers are as soft and as warm as the equivalent weight wool. They don't perform as well when wet though.

An alternative to buying branded merino base layers would be to scour the charity shops for merino jumpers available on the High Street. They are a bit heavier in weight, but that might not be a bad thing in Norway, other than that they perform as well as your icebreakers etc. You might even find some icerbreaker or trekmates if you're lucky. I have found a couple of icebreaker tops for my other half over the last few months.

Ive been looking in charity shops for months for that sort of thing, just having no luck :( altho, my boyfriend did find a toasty wool jumper in a charity shop for £2 which I brought for him and then stole, that will be my top layer jumper (he doesnt know this yet, altho I suppose he will now ;) ) I will continue to keep looking tho :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Ive been looking in charity shops for months for that sort of thing, just having no luck :( altho, my boyfriend did find a toasty wool jumper in a charity shop for £2 which I brought for him and then stole, that will be my top layer jumper (he doesnt know this yet, altho I suppose he will now ;) ) I will continue to keep looking tho :)

My advice is keep looking. You never know what you'll find and I'm sure something suitable will turn up sooner or later.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Ahh, just remembered this. Try TK Max. occasionally they have cheap merino going if you don't mind garish colours. I have a maroon merino top I bought for £7 last year. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE