Making the kill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Hi,
Good info.
Dogwood there's lots of place you can hunt with stone points in the US, they just have to be to a certain size.....

Cromm, thanks for the inspiration -- clearly, I was under a mistaken impression.

I just checked a bit more and found that you can use stone points in Alabama at least. I need to look around more now. Since I knap a fair amount, I'm would love to use my stone points for hunting...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I would agree with all that. The bottom line, deer die and then they are eaten. They may be eaten by opossums, crows, and microbes or they make be eaten by me. I think they're tasty too.

At least here in Pennsylvania white tailed deer are a byproduct of human agriculture and development. We paved the valley floors with food crops and left ample forested hills and woodlands everywhere in between. We created the perfect habitat for deer and their population exploded. In many areas they actually walk up and browse on ornamental shrubs and vegetable gardens outside our houses.

We don't call it a deer harvest as a euphemism, our deer population really is the direct result of agriculture. Mac

Mac,
you've hit a nail on the head here, and even more so in the UK where there are so few areas of land that are truly wild... In that I mean land that has had no human intervention since the last ice age.
We've taken out all our top predators bar ourselves ( and we seem to be working on that ) and adulterated the landscape to such an extent that everything is out of balance. ( Heck after years of experience showing us that it's a bad idea we're considering introducing a pest to control Japanese knotweed - these things have never gone well.)
Deer in the UK have reached epidemic proportions, they cannot sustain themselves in a healthy manner in the space allowed. Most of our deer control is aimed at taking out trophy animals with a little number control added in. The deer are suffering through ill health and stress and yet the "tree huggers" are saying they should be left alone. Well I feel that's cruel, we've created a bad situation and through a misguided "moral" feeling of watching Bambie cartoons are going to make them suffer more.
We should be encouraging hunting, but not for trophy heads, make the sport cheaper for those prepared to take out does and weaker males, and encourage the eating of this very healthy meat and we may be truly "harvesting" them.
Goatboy.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
If one is using a bow or spear, then one is going to have to get close enough to use said weapon. knowing the habitat and habit of the creature in question is central to your success or failure.
When hunting rabbits with a catapult one has to be very thoughtful about approaching your quarry. I would suggest that anyone wanting to experience a little theory in practice might start by hunting small food quarry with limited means of dispatch. Squirrel makes good drum sticks for the BBQ.
Listen to the woods and your feet moving through it. Watch the movements of the creature and its behaviour through its habitat and through the year as the purpose of its behaviour changes priority.

This last tip is a bit weird, but I'm sure that creatures can sense intent. Dont intend to ,kill a creature', rather intend 'not to be there'.

the voice of reason on this forum!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Mac,
you've hit a nail on the head here, and even more so in the UK where there are so few areas of land that are truly wild... In that I mean land that has had no human intervention since the last ice age.
We've taken out all our top predators bar ourselves ( and we seem to be working on that ) and adulterated the landscape to such an extent that everything is out of balance. ( Heck after years of experience showing us that it's a bad idea we're considering introducing a pest to control Japanese knotweed - these things have never gone well.)
Deer in the UK have reached epidemic proportions, they cannot sustain themselves in a healthy manner in the space allowed. Most of our deer control is aimed at taking out trophy animals with a little number control added in. The deer are suffering through ill health and stress and yet the "tree huggers" are saying they should be left alone. Well I feel that's cruel, we've created a bad situation and through a misguided "moral" feeling of watching Bambie cartoons are going to make them suffer more.
We should be encouraging hunting, but not for trophy heads, make the sport cheaper for those prepared to take out does and weaker males, and encourage the eating of this very healthy meat and we may be truly "harvesting" them.
Goatboy.

ere ime impressed,i like you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE