Mad River Explorer 14 TT Canadian Canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It's time for me to get back to a larger boat, so this has to go to help pay for it.:rolleyes:

Usual hull scratches but nothing outrageous, actually a very capable boat and in spite of being polythene, easily humped around on my own
P1160042.jpg

P1160011.jpg

P1160002.jpg

P1160004.jpg

The foam matting is just fixed with double sided tape and can easily be removed.
P1160024.jpg

It comes complete with the fittings for airbags or wedge/blocks, including the straps etc but the blocks are not included in the sale
wink.gif

P1160040.jpg

Also fitted with a set of my lash loops under the seats, thwarts and gunwhales and a pair of rubber end cap protectors, which both help to stop the boat sliding when you pick it up for carrying and stop the end caps being worn away on rock, concrete or tarmack etc.

Heres a few of her out and about;
P3150040_zps11cee43c.jpg

P3150023-Copy_zps686333ab.jpg

P8080097-1.jpg

P4250045copyresized6.jpg

SOLD

Feel free to ask any questions.

As for her replacement?

Well I wouldn't mind another Explorer but it would have to be royalex,but then it would have to be a 15 for the weight as well and I'm not sure that's big enough for what I want to do, paddling wise.
So I'd be happy with any of the following; Nova Craft Pal, Bob Special or a Prospector 16, in royalex lite. ideally good nick 2nd hand but I'll just have to wait and see
rolleyes.gif

thanks for looking

Steve

Last edited:

rancid badger

No interest?

If you're looking to get into open canoeing, canoe touring/camping etc you could do a lot worse than a Mad River Explorer, its a proper boat, in supertough, three layer polythene,that will handle pretty much anything you might want to do,unlike the vast majority of polythene boats, which tend to be stupidly heavy and paddle like concrete bathtubs (except for the Nova Craft SP3 ;)):swordfigh

cheers

Steve

Last edited:

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
That is a lovely boat which i would have snapped your arm off for if i hadn't recently had to splash out on two bathrooms, and an upcoming trip to the US. Such a pity:(

rancid badger

Honest answer is, I'm not really sure, at least three or four I guess. I got her from a mate on SoTP and I don't think he'd had her much more than a year, possibly 18 months but as far as I know, he was the 2nd owner.

She's certainly not cracked or faded and is in very good used condition.

So much so, if she doesn't sell, I won't be too worried and will just continue to use her as normal;)

cheers

Steve

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Cheers for your honesty Steve. I need to speak to SWMBO fisrt. But it seems like a perfect first canoe? It would be used with for 2 adults, max load says 365kg ish so it should be OK for that? Maybe the occasional trip with 3 + dog maybe on flat water? Advice appreciated.

ATB
Craeg

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I'm on 2nd dibs after Craeg please, I'll have a conversation with Ms Swift later (though it may be a short conversation).

rancid badger

Cheers for your honesty Steve. I need to speak to SWMBO fisrt. But it seems like a perfect first canoe? It would be used with for 2 adults, max load says 365kg ish so it should be OK for that? Maybe the occasional trip with 3 + dog maybe on flat water? Advice appreciated.

ATB
Craeg

I wouldn't advise three adults in this boat, it's too small for that. You'd be okay twos up on flat water, or indeed, if you had some experience/coaching and instruction under your belt; moving water too.

Mad River Explorers are very popular with instructors and coaches due to their versatility, design and quality.

Three adults and a dog would be crazy in a boat of anything less than 16 feet and ideally you want something 17ft plus.

If your looking for a tandem boat for slow moving rivers, or flat water, this would do you okay as beginners but it excels as a solo boat in rougher stuff. Take a look at my Ullswater sailing clip:
[video=youtube;S5FG0-JGYvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5FG0-JGYvU&list=UURddL3mkjOvJ3tAtVH pW-XQ&index=5[/video]
This was pretty blowy, indeed rough at times, for an open canoe. The boat just rode the waves but to be fair, I've had 5 years of paddling and a couple of weekends worth of professional coaching to boost my confidence. Times were that I'd never even consider putting the boat on the water in these conditions but it's not so much the boat as the skills and experience of the paddler/s that counts.

A crucial point to remember:

Is that it doesn't matter what sort of paddling you fancy doing, you need to consider some professional coaching and instruction as part of the overall budget.

I think it's vital, although there are plenty of folk who see instruction as "being told what to do" and others who claim; " I've been paddling since I was six, you don't need to be shown, just learn as you go along"

righto,folk are entitled to their opinion.

Anyway I benefited immensely from instruction and never looked back,indeed I could do with some more for white water. I hope this helps folk choose a boat, whether its this one or not:rolleyes:

chhers

Steve

rancid badger

Actually this is more like rough:
[video=youtube;4a5xTX-OBfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a5xTX-OBfQ[/video]
This is not me and its a completely different location to the one shown in the previous video! There are a few Explorers in use here mind you.

This was filmed by the lad who I was coached by, Kim Bull, a superb coach.

There was a point however, during our last Ullswater trip,( the one showing the sailing) where we were hit by a couple of squalls as rough as this, only fleeting moments really, maybe a couple of minutes worth but the boats were fine and we rode the waves with no trouble.

cheers once more;)

Steve

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE