Luna's Winter boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
For years I have been nagging any member of Brompton staff that stands still long enough asking for a set of spiked ice tyres to fit on the Brompton. After many years of such nagging, Schwalbe, maker of some of the finest bike tyres around, now makes a spiked tyre to fit the Brompton.

I decided to treat myself to a pair of spiked tyres for Luna (my Brompton), so that I wouldn't face another winter where I can't keep cycling all the way through it due to ice or snow. The Brompton sized spiked tyres aren't as wide as the standard tyres, which may seem slightly weird, you'd think that you would want a wider tyre in snow, but because the spikes stick out from the tyre, it has to be slightly narrower than the standard Marathon Plus tyre I took off (30mm vs 35mm). Also because the way the Brompton folds, the tyre contacts the frame at two points. This isn't a problem with a normal tyre, but with a spiked one, it'll strip the paintwork off.

So with a shiny set of spiked tyres in hand, my usual bike tool kit, a 3.2mm veg tanned leather hide, some 3mm bungee cord and a bone needle, I just spent 2 hours in full contact wrestling with two rubber coated sets of spikes from Germany. Yeouch these things bite back. Lessons you learn fast: the spikes hurt. I put two bits of leather on the frame, laced on with bungee cord, I may have to tighten these over time, but for now they are protecting the frame. Getting the tyre on the front was more of a battle than the back, seems it didn't like that rim so much. When I took the existing tyre off the front, looking at it up close made me realise two things, It's the original tyre, and the original inner tube. The tyre doesn't have much depth left, and the inner tube wasn't playing nicely, so I've replaced it.

Now that the tyres are fitted I have 40km of gentle riding (no heavy acceleration or braking) to bed the spikes in before I can relax a bit and ride normally. These tyres are designed to work at two pressures, at 4.5bar when in icey conditions where the greater contact is needed, and at upto 8 bar when the risk of ice is low and you want the quieter journey (the spikes are noisy on normal tarmac).

I'll post photos in day light. But for now, Luna is ready for winter!

J

PS I know people who have carefully fitted spiked tyres on their bike, then fallen over when they put their foot down. For that, I have a set of Kahtoola Nanospikes.

PPS Bring on winter!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds good Julia, looking forward to seeing Lunar with her spikes on. (I'm sure there's a Buffy the vampire slayer joke in there somewhere). Never thought of folk kitting out a Brompton with spiked tyres.
Last negative winter bike experience I had was when my sdp clips froze solid on an outing in the hills. Stopped, tried to put a foot down, fell over. Having to unlace shoes while tangled in a bike in the snow was fun. Made for a very interesting and planned journey back I can say.
Sorry still smiling at the thought of spikes on a Brompton, like some genteel Mad Max machine.
One thing I would say about spiked types is that when cornering on tarmacadum that when you reach a certain angle of tilt and the spikes suddenly come into contact is that the bike can slip from under you. Can be a red face or downright dangerous depending on where it happens.
Ride safe and have adventures.
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The wheels are a nominal 16", but more specifically in cycle speak, they are 349mm rims. 355 and 305 also give a nominal 16" wheel, and are used by the Birdey and Stryda folding bikes respectively. I normally run a 35-349 Schwalbe Marathon Plus, but these spikes are 30-349.

J

PS For those looking at this and boggling at the numbers, the first number is the width of the tyre, and the second bigger number is the diameter of the rim. A 26" mountain bike tyre is a 559, where as a 28" or 700c tyre is typically 622.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Couldn't sleep last night (woke up at 0130), so decided to take Luna out for a bit of a ride, nothing too far, about 6k, largely to continue the run in of her spikes, but also a chance to photograph them in day light.

XT1A1561_sm.JPG

Spiked front tyre.

XT1A1572_sm.JPG

It was muddy out so the tread picked up quite a bit of mud. I'm guessing this won't be such an issue when things are more frozen.

XT1A1559_sm.JPG

To protect the paintwork from the studs, I made a couple of leather guards, each is laced on with 3mm bungee cord. They are nothing special, and will win no awards for their beauty. But they do the job.

XT1A1576_sm.JPG

It seems to pick up a lot of mud, but if you look carefully you can see the indents where the studs have impaled the leather. The leather is 3.2mm (or 3.6mm, it's ages since I bought it), which is longer than the studs are proud of the tyre.

XT1A1578_sm.JPG

Luna with her new boots and her leather trim...

It was a rather chill morning, and my ride was shorter than intended due to numb toes (I need to work on my winter cycling footwear). On the way home the control cable for the rear hub decided to jump off, taking the chain off with it. Cue 20 minutes at the side of the cycle track trying to get the thing to go back together. I noticed that there was quite a bit of play in the front wheel, so I nipped into the bike shop on the way home to book her in for a pair of new bearings on Tuesday morning.

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Woowhoo. Luna's done up for a night out, stiletto tyres, bright red outfit and a leather skirt. :)
She's looking ready for winter right enough, be interesting to hear how you get on. I liked going out for a ride in winter though it will quickly show up any weaknesses in the system. Night riding in deep snow with good lights is quite magical.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Now it's warmed up a bit I thought it was time to switch Luna back to her Summer boots. Looking at the tyres that came off, there are a few studs missing, but overall they seem in good condition. Over the several hundred miles I did over the winter, I had 2 punctures, both on the same day in March.

Will write up something a bit more meaningful when it's not midnight.

J

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I love spiked tyres, i have a set of Schwalbe Snow Stud for moderate conditions and a set of Schwalbe Ice Spiker for full on winter conditions for my 26inch mountain bikes, furiously annoying thing is since i bought them in the winter of 2010-11 i have had the bloody chance to use them again, they got a good 3 months of use just after i bought them and have been in a box since, currently looking for a good Spike tyre for my fatbike but the ones i have found so far are stupid prices like hundred quid a tyre

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Another good makeshift frame protection Julia you might like, cut a section from a tyre and cable tie it around the frame area needing protected the natural curve of the inside of the tyre works well for this, not as classy as your leather work by any miles but cheap and cheerful and very hard wearing and does a great job of protecting the downtube underside from flicked up stones or whatever else you want to protect the paint job from

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE